Sonoma: Plan 1 - 2330sf

[quote author="ajw522"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
Silly BK... because there is no doorbell or peephole for the garage door.

"Who is it?"
"UPS... I have a package for you."
"Hold on while I roll up the garage door."[/quote]

LOL.[/quote]

wooden-swing-garage-door-92993.jpg

IHO,

problem solved. Peep hole and man door are a part of the garage.

I hope TIC is not reading this because I just open a can of worm that will lead to the future destiny of Irvine with only 20' wide houses with no yard, front door and driveway.

I actually like this over the freakin token front door with no front yard and no curb appeal. At least this is form follows function and honesty in design of how Irvinites really live. The door lead to the space between the 2 parked cars and then straight into the house through the man door.

This garage entry is actually prettier than the ugly facades of plan 1,2 and 3.

wow.. bk.. do you have any pics of a house with just a man/garage door with no front door? how does that look? They do have houses as wide as the garage... Cachette in Woodbury remember... I actually like them, but you called them trailers... :'(

[quote author="roundcorners"]wow.. bk.. do you have any pics of a house with just a man/garage door with no front door? how does that look? They do have houses as wide as the garage... Cachette in Woodbury remember... I actually like them, but you called them trailers... :'([/quote]

Yes, I remember Cashitte! The yard along the side is useless. It has bad proportion. Unless you are into lawn bowling then the yard is virtually unusable. Oops I forgot grass does not grow in the dark so the bowling idea is out too.

Cashitte has a completely useless yard. I won't even comment how dark inside the house is when the back of the house has no windows, one of the side is a solid wall, and the sideyard windows are dark in the neighbor's shadow.

The plans have long hallways and inefficient. Bedroom sizes are small and etc.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="roundcorners"]wow.. bk.. do you have any pics of a house with just a man/garage door with no front door? how does that look? They do have houses as wide as the garage... Cachette in Woodbury remember... I actually like them, but you called them trailers... :'([/quote]

Yes, I remember Cashitte! The yard along the side is useless. It has bad proportion. Unless you are into lawn bowling then the yard is virtually unusable. Oops I forgot grass does not grow in the dark so the bowling idea is out too.

Cashitte has a completely useless yard. I won't even comment how dark inside the house is when the back of the house has no windows, one of the side is a solid wall, and the sideyard windows are dark in the neighbor's shadow.

The plans have long hallways and inefficient. Bedroom sizes are small and etc.[/quote]

BK, Could I please ask you a question about Cashitte?? <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> First of all, I am like your worse student who never learned. I remember back in the IHB days, you told me our Cal-Pac home is wayyyy better then the KB Bougainvilla. I remember you said the Cal-Pac gets the much better outside light compare to the row home style where in the middle it's dark. Well, Cashitte plan 3 is also one of my favorite. Before we bought Montecito, we had an offer in for one of the plan 3 short sale and it's not even that cheap at $675K. Here is my question, I know the house is darker due to it's shape. However, why do I feel the home's layout is more efficient with 1950 SQFT? I mean it's has 4Br and 3Bath with one Br and one full bath down stairs. Up stairs master has a small retreat with a double door opening to get some view outside. Honestly with the Montecito plan 1 that we bought, I still don't know where to put our TV. Putting the TV above the fire place is just too high for us.

I think the one of the things BK doesn't like about Cachette Plan 3 is the master toilet is over the dining area.

The plan looks pretty good to me... the master having a retreat, upstairs laundry with sink and almost dual master closets are features I like. It's boxy and does look like not much light gets in (like the Mille Fleurs) but it's functional.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I think the one of the things BK doesn't like about Cachette Plan 3 is the master toilet is over the dining area.

The plan looks pretty good to me... the master having a retreat, upstairs laundry with sink and almost dual master closets are features I like. It's boxy and does look like not much light gets in (like the Mille Fleurs) but it's functional.[/quote]

Oh ok, thanks. Totally didn't think about that. Now I am looking at the floor plan of house that we bought. Yikes, hopefully it's ok.

[quote author="fe9000"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I think the one of the things BK doesn't like about Cachette Plan 3 is the master toilet is over the dining area.

The plan looks pretty good to me... the master having a retreat, upstairs laundry with sink and almost dual master closets are features I like. It's boxy and does look like not much light gets in (like the Mille Fleurs) but it's functional.[/quote]

Oh ok, thanks. Totally didn't think about that. Now I am looking at the floor plan of house that we bought. Yikes, hopefully it's ok.[/quote]

I hate the plan that you bought and it is NOT ok. The rooms are over sized but impractical in furnishing. Sofa against rear yard window is too far from TV and the viewing angle is less than 50 degree thus causing internal refraction. The second sofa floats in the middle of the room with an right angle to the TV but then distance is too close for TV viewing. I can recommend a really good chiropractor to you for neck strain.

Toilet before the line of the front door is bad luck in holding on to your money. I guess you already gave it to TIC!

Bedroom #2 has door conflict with closet door (this is minor). Bedroom #3 has bed wall against outside wall thus window is too small (lack light and ventilation) or you furnish against the master toilet wall (hear toilet flushes) but lose the dresser wall at the foot of the bed.

The entire second story is really on the wrong side of the house. It should be over the garage thus allowing the great room and study to have a single story roof with cathedral ceiling.

The volume portion over the living area would differentiate the area from the kitchen so it is less IAC apartment like with an uniform 9' lid.

The laundry should be upstairs where there is plenty of space dedicated to a single story roof. This would open up the den with a French door access to the patio and a view to a bigger yard by unloading 60sf of lower level space or keep that space and put a private bath toward the back of the room next to the side yard wall.

I would reverse the entire master bath to get the toilet and shower to the rear wall. The toilet room then gets a window. The master tub would still have one window to the side for light and ventilation.

Mr Young should thank me for not writing a commentary about the 2010 Collection before the grand openings because many of the plans really suck.

This is one of the the most expensive thing you bought in your life and it is far from being perfect. For the rest of you planning to buy you should really consult an expert for a second opinion.

PM me for consultation if others are planning to buy. I can also monitor your construction phases minimizing future construction defects if I can't convince you from making stupid choices.

[quote author="fe9000"]

Oh ok, thanks. Totally didn't think about that. Now I am looking at the floor plan of house that we bought. Yikes, hopefully it's ok.[/quote]

I hate the plan that you bought and it is NOT ok. The rooms are over sized but impractical in furnishing. Sofa against rear yard window is too far from TV and the viewing angle is less than 50 degree thus causing internal refraction. The second sofa floats in the middle of the room with an right angle to the TV but then distance is too close for TV viewing. I can recommend a really good chiropractor to you for neck strain.

Toilet before the line of the front door is bad luck in holding on to your money. I guess you already gave it to TIC!

Bedroom #2 has door conflict with closet door (this is minor). Bedroom #3 has bed wall against outside wall thus window is too small (lack light and ventilation) or you furnish against the master toilet wall (hear toilet flushes) but lose the dresser wall at the foot of the bed.

The entire second story is really on the wrong side of the house. It should be over the garage thus allowing the great room and study to have a single story roof with cathedral ceiling.

The volume portion over the living area would differentiate the area from the kitchen so it is less IAC apartment like with an uniform 9' lid.

The laundry should be upstairs where there is plenty of space dedicated to a single story roof. This would open up the den with a French door access to the patio and a view to a bigger yard by unloading 60sf of lower level space or keep that space and put a private bath toward the back of the room next to the side yard wall.

I would reverse the entire master bath to get the toilet and shower to the rear wall. The toilet room then gets a window. The master tub would still have one window to the side for light and ventilation.

Mr Young should thank me for not writing a commentary about the 2010 Collection before the grand openings because many of the plans really suck.

This is one of the the most expensive thing you bought in your life and it is far from being perfect. For the rest of you planning to buy you should really consult an expert for a second opinion.

PM me for consultation if others are planning to buy. I can also monitor your construction phases minimizing future construction defects if I can't convince you from making stupid choices.

[/quote]

Ouch!! Since we already bought, try to make the best of it is really the question. I guess I will PM you and take this conversation offline if you don't mind.

[quote author="fe9000"]

[/quote]

Ouch!! Since we already bought, try to make the best of it is really the question. I guess I will PM you and take this conversation offline if you don't mind.[/quote]

Then I won't list another 20 things wrong with this plan.

OK, I am getting quite a few PM's. If you are interested in my design analysis and construction inspection and monitoring you can Pay Pal my account for my service.

I was originally told by Sonoma that the california room/conservatory would be an option. However, for there next release this "option" has already been pre-decided. Any one have any input to this?

[quote author="nytransplant"]I was originally told by Sonoma that the california room/conservatory would be an option. However, for there next release this "option" has already been pre-decided. Any one have any input to this?[/quote]

It's the same at Montecito. Both Sonoma and Montecito are pouring the foundations and framing before sales are complete. Therefore, the homes are already being built as a California Room before you buy the house and say that you want the Conservatory. Stupid, but it is what it is.

[quote author="nytransplant"]Interesting, because in Carmel it is an option. How about at santa cruz?[/quote]

At Carmel, it was an option (i.e. Cantaloop) because I don't believe they have poured the foundations yet. At Santa Cruz, it too, I believe, is builder determined. For their Phase 2 offering, they had only 1 Plan 1 that was offered with a Conservatory Room. The rest were with the California Room.

This might be a stupid question - but how is a California room a "room" and not just a patio with poofy furniture?

[quote author="traceimage"]This might be a stupid question - but how is a California room a "room" and not just a patio with poofy furniture?[/quote]
A California Room = fancy name for a covered patio.

Does anyone know what TIC is going to do with the piece of land surrounded by Regal, Keystone, Trabuco & Rolling Green? I don't think Sonoma will build there; their sales floor map does not show that lot...

My guess is that TIC will build another Mills Fleurs, Villa Rosa type homes, on larger lots... when things really pick up; they'll charge $1.5m+ homes...

Is that the place east of Sonoma?

I think you need to post one of your famous map images RC... I thought that area was where the low income housing was going.

4349264297_f561e68abf_o.jpg

BLUE - Sonoma

RED - Mystery?

PURPLE - Woodbury Court

BROWN - The Arbor - Affordable Housing... All units are currently occupied

Ahh... yeah... that could be the last "big" homes left... although knowing TIC, they will try to maximize the space and put Montecito-type products interspersed with Carmel size homes.

Hmm... someone tell them 3-car garage houses are still in demand (although TIC would probably charge $1.2m for them... bleh).

Back