Some quick observations as a buyer in Irvine

If you're looking for new builds, there are a few options in your price range but definitely not true SFRs.  As for attached/detached condos/townhomes, there is:

- Montara @ PS5 - I actually like the plan 2 floorplan because the upstairs has a great layout for families and is detached.  For the pricepoint, I feel like it's one of the best deals around.

- Tristania @ CVE - Great floorplans with 'larger' backyards.  The location is close to the Great Park and 5 Freeway.  Some have mentioned environmental concerns but seems like a convenient location

- Celeste @ PS - Detached product that's closer to the 241, new Loma Ridge Elementary and PS Community Park

If you're looking to stretch your budget past $900s;

- Legado @ PS5 - Detached with driveway for low $900s in PS5.  Unsure if there are any of these left but this was one of my favorite homes and I like the neighborhood

- Talise @ PS - Detached and is a clone of Trellis Court.  It's walking distance to Loma Ridge Elementary and Plan 1 & 2 can be bargained at the sales office.  You can get some killer deals on quick move ins right at $900k

- Hillside @ PS5B - Really nice homes with HUGE backyards but will definitely be closer to the $1M mark with upgrades

I highly recommend reaching out to USCTrojan for advice and to get you signed up at any of these places.  He's a great guy and knows the area & floorplans really well. Good luck!!!

Prototype said:
- Montara @ PS5 - I actually like the plan 2 floorplan because the upstairs has a great layout for families and is detached.  For the pricepoint, I feel like it's one of the best deals around.

That's what I think too.

2 vs 1 Mety... :)

IHO just keeps winning, doesn't he? ;D

I think resales are good value too. There are Petaluma (EW) and San Mateo (SG) popping out around $900k time to time.

Of course IHO doesn't approve that floorplan so who cares, right? >:D

Mety said:

I think resales are good value too. There are Petaluma (EW) and San Mateo (SG) popping out around $900k time to time.

No one needs my ?approval?. This is an opinion board and I have my likes and dislikes.

- Upstairs living space
- Dual master closet
- Kids bathroom with dual sinks and separated toilet/shower so one kid can still use a sink while the other potties or showers.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:

No one needs my ?approval?. This is an opinion board and I have my likes and dislikes.

- Upstairs living space
- Dual master closet
- Kids bathroom with dual sinks and separated toilet/shower so one kid can still use a sink while the other potties or showers.

Yes, we can input our opinions freely here. You're doing a very good job at it.

Anyways, why do you dislike that IP-cookie-cutter floorplan? Too ordinary for you?

I'll share my likes on that plan:
- Entrance area into the living/kitchen area (good for hide & seek with kids also)
- Bigger yard/patio than other "newer" detached condos
- Feels more spacious than the actual sqft.
- Open concept with a wide island countertop (good for watching toddlers)
- Bedrooms are not wall to wall
- Lower HOAs than other detached condos

homeowner1 said:
Checked Hillside recently. Love those backyards and open entrance in plan 3. New prices are around a million.

Nice. Vivo at Orchard Hills is pretty much the same thing but with a better location (only my opinion) and more view lots. It'll be more expensive also. BTW, were you able to check the price on the plan1 of Hillside? Was it still at $895k?

WOW. You're actually right.

Last time I provided the price of $895k, which I found through Zillow, was on 2/27.

And they updated the price to $940k on 2/28.

I guess TIC is reading our posts.

Mety said:

Last time I provided the price of $895k, which I found through Zillow, was on 2/27.

Didn't you say that was from a December price in Zillow history?

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:

Didn't you say that was from a December price in Zillow history?

Yes, they had that $895k until 2/27 in Zillow price history section which is the date I last chimed in that regard.

Then on 2/28, they updated the price. So I was one day late (or early) to know the latest deal.

You can check here -https://www.zillow.com/community/hillside/2084077591_zpid/

homeowner1 said:
Checked Hillside recently. Love those backyards and open entrance in plan 3. New prices are around a million.

I also love the big backyard and 10' ceilings but felt that they could have added a 4th bedroom or loft for these, at the price point. IMHO.

If you don't mind a 3-story home, Great Park has some new detached condo options in that price range. I've noticed that often times it's easier to negotiate a good price on a new home with a builder vs negotiating with a private seller and his/her agent, less emotions involved I guess. For resale homes, look past the staging and cosmetic stuff and focus on the location and "bones" of the house. Emotional buyers often overpay for the superficial stuff (and screwing all the other rational buyers).

I think 3-story home with the 3rd story being a bonus area is not bad. Bedrooms on a 3rd story could be kind of painful especially if you have kids. But if you're single or newly married, it could work fine I guess. I just wish GP didn't have such high Mello-Roos taxes.

Mety said:
I think 3-story home with the 3rd story being a bonus area is not bad. Bedrooms on a 3rd story could be kind of painful especially if you have kids. But if you're single or newly married, it could work fine I guess. I just wish GP didn't have such high Mello-Roos taxes.

Agreed, if the living area is on the first floor and the bedrooms are on the first and second floors then having a 3rd level bonus room/deck isn't too bad. 

It is hard to find an appropriate thread for this info. I figure it might be helpful for future buyers in GPN and current homeowners.

Random chime in. GP may have new facilities but yeah the high Mello-Roos, density, and 3 story homes makes it unattractive. You can get older properties at a lower price, lower tax rate, and bigger lot. New ADU laws also give you amazing options to to add livable space (rental, multi gen, etc.)

Mety said:

3 is for garages... not stories. :)

But... with that being said... for a while there we were looking at 3CWGs with a 3rd story in Oak Creek... came very close to buying one but seller wanted more than our lowball and it didn't have a main floor bedroom for when I can't use the stairs anymore.

Back