SoCal Odd listings

I have books published by US gov from mid 20th century on building backyard fallout shelters.  Looking at the construction plans, I do not think they are built to last 70 years.  IMO it's potentially a liability to the seller and listing agent.  The buyer may have to spend some money to retrofit (or rebuild) the underground shelter for safety.

The government did at one point built or designated a number of underground facilities as emergency fallout shelters here.  Cal State Fullerton and Fullerton City College both had underground facilities.

If you're serious about installing a shelter in your yard, you can order a prefab from Atlas:https://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/

I remember the $1.6M listing in Lambert Ranch that was an old Irvine Ranch house from the 50's but it was a national landmark so you could demolish/reface it or something like that.  Was pretty interesting/odd for an Irvine listing.  I think they dropped the price on that multiple times before it sold.  In retrospect probably not a bad buy since it was a large lot and if you could remodel the inside it might be kinda cool to have a vintage home outside and modern inside.

Nice find from Atlas. Hilariously they name the platinum series by state and California is a the most expensive costing a cool 2 million. But they are behind the times as I don't see EV charging support and solar panel options?
Also nice to add some armory space.

momopi said:
I have books published by US gov from mid 20th century on building backyard fallout shelters.  Looking at the construction plans, I do not think they are built to last 70 years.  IMO it's potentially a liability to the seller and listing agent.  The buyer may have to spend some money to retrofit (or rebuild) the underground shelter for safety.

The government did at one point built or designated a number of underground facilities as emergency fallout shelters here.  Cal State Fullerton and Fullerton City College both had underground facilities.

If you're serious about installing a shelter in your yard, you can order a prefab from Atlas:https://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/

aquabliss said:
I remember the $1.6M listing in Lambert Ranch that was an old Irvine Ranch house from the 50's but it was a national landmark so you could demolish/reface it or something like that.  Was pretty interesting/odd for an Irvine listing.  I think they dropped the price on that multiple times before it sold.  In retrospect probably not a bad buy since it was a large lot and if you could remodel the inside it might be kinda cool to have a vintage home outside and modern inside.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/55-Parson-Brown-92618/home/101329364
https://www.ocregister.com/2006/09/14/lambert-ranch-turning-of-the-land/

Whomever was the interior designer on this home must have been on a steady diet of hallucinogens during the work done here.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Parson Brown was a pretty solid buy IMHO. Room for a pool. You could add onto the 4 car garage as it was added much later to the property. Worse comes to worse a possible basement add could have been done. I like vintage homes and with the view bonus, it was a nice home.

Ya, 1.6 Acre lot with 180degree views in Irvine, guard gated and no Mello Roos sold for $1.5M in Irvine... bargain.

I also checked their Property Tax and they are only paying $14,357 for the year so somehow it's less than 1%... that's a bit more than the homeowners exemption and the annual increase since sold in 2017... no idea how that happened.

Whomever was the interior designer on this home must have been on a steady diet of hallucinogens during the work done here.

What a bargain as it is priced much lower than Redfin estimate!

akula1488 said:

What a bargain as it is priced much lower than Redfin estimate!

I bet it could sell for $2M today.  Take $200k and renovate the inside and you can probably resell for $2.5M due to large lot / view / privacy. 

akula1488 said:
Nice find from Atlas. Hilariously they name the platinum series by state and California is a the most expensive costing a cool 2 million. But they are behind the times as I don't see EV charging support and solar panel options?
Also nice to add some armory space.

They used to be based in Los Angeles and had a prefab shelter parked in view of I-5 northbound for years.  The phone number is still area code 323 but the shelter manufacturing is now in Texas.

Personally, I'd only recommend their smaller, single entry products as walk-in safe to store your emergency supplies, weapons, valuables, etc.  If you're actually going to install an emergency shelter, I'd go with larger models with two entrance/exit points.

Imagine if you installed a single entry floor-door model in the garage, and some idiot parks their car over the exit hatch.  Oops.
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-xpm-2013-jan-18-la-fi-hiltzik-20130120-story.html

Back