So my landlord didn't pay his property taxes....

k.o._IHB

With news of foreclosures and everything, I'm paranoid, so I occasionally check up on things to make sure everything seems in order. And lo and behold, the landlord failed to make his 1st installment payment. (Checked the County of Orange Tax website). Now I know the guy has a few properties in San Berdoo that he has been trying to unload, and has been hurting for a few months. This property is one in Costa Mesa, and one that he actually lived in a few years back.

I realize that it takes a long time for the government to come after someone for not paying the prop taxes, but I'm not sure if this is a precursor to something like foreclosure. He's a decent guy, but is a lil' forgetful and "out there" at times. The place I rent I like, enjoy what I pay, and it suits my purposes. Any thoughts on this or something else I could be checking out?

I'd call him on it right away. That way he'll know your not a fool who's going to get blindsided by an eviction notice. Threaten to withhold rent until he can prove he paid it. Good catch !

I admit that I did that. It took a whole year for them to come after me. After that I had to make TWO YEARS worth of payments in about 6 weeks. I did it, but honestly I would have rather paid it before that happened. Now I just impound everything, so much easier.

-bix

The OC website is quite up to date. I mailed ours on the 10th and by Sat it showed it was paid, so he didn't mail it by the deadline. The penalties for paying late are pretty stiff so it's not something that you would "forget."

Honestly, I think it's a little premature to go for the jugular just because it doesn't show payment 7 days past the deadline. It's a fact of life, some people will be late. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to stop paying the mortgage and even if it does, that hasn't happened yet so you don't want to over-react. You can still keep an eye out but be patient at the same time. Good luck.

You can go <a href="http://cr.ocgov.com/grantorgrantee/searchPersonsName.asp">here and see if he is in default</a>. Keep in mind if he hasn't made his Dec. mortgage payment, then it wouldn't show up until about April.

Well I definitely do appreciate all the opinions and advice. Trust me, I am trying to figure out all option, and I really do hold all of your opinion in high regards.

Troop, I'm a bit apprehensive about calling him out on it just because I have roomies and wouldn't want to jeopardize their status here.

bix, you took responsibility for it and "manned up", but not quite sure my landlord has your sense of responsibility.

stepping_up, this guy almost forgot that I only paid the deposit and not the 1st month's rent when I moved in.

socal78, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, which is why I was trying to check other resources.

Graph, he didn't show up on the website, so good news?

<blockquote>Threaten to withhold rent until he can prove he paid it. Good catch !</blockquote>

Hello Trooper

I would be careful not paying rent since there is no connection between the lease agreement and the owner's paying or not paying the taxes. You could fail to pay and get a 3 day notice. You could only withhold rent if there was a clause in the lease that stated that the owner had to stay current on taxes. Current boilerplate in leases only guarantee habitability.

enjoy!

and yet, the whole point is/was that if he is behind on his taxes, the likelihood that he is under pressure or falling behind on the mortgage note increases.

that is why it is a leading indicator, and a good reason to have a conversation with the property owner, no?

File a Duplicate Notice of Default request with your county recorder. You'll be notified if they are late on the house payments.

You can also go directly to the recorder and see if any such notices have been filed already. Note that many county recorders don't have online searching. It helps keep more extraneous people employed, who charge you two dollars a page to print things.

So it looks like my landlord has also not paid his property taxes... the 12/08 and 04/09 installments.

He's not in the link Graph (and FreedomCM) provided.

Advice?

EDIT: 4/09 not 4/08

This is harking me back to the post where someone was asking why in the world two kids would be a motivating factor to buy instead of rent, as if the lady was daft...... well, this is it in a nutshell. It might be easy to pick up and move on when you are single or DINKs. But when you have kids, especially ones that are in school, this is every parent's worst nightmare. I totally get why that woman was against renting - for exactly this kind of scenario. Nothing against the bachelors/bachelorettes or DINKs that have the flexibility....that is great for you guys. But for people like us who have a lot of kids, the dynamic is totally different. We need stability. Our kids needs stability. I hope you guys can be a little more open next time when a parent disses renting.

because there are no other houses for rent in the school district?

because you don't chauffeur your kids to play dates anyway?

because they walk to school?

because even if you move outside the district, you can't finish the school year there?

I'm really curious as to your answers to those questions!

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1239822981]This is harking me back to the post where someone was asking why in the world two kids would be a motivating factor to buy instead of rent, as if the lady was daft...... well, this is it in a nutshell. It might be easy to pick up and move on when you are single or DINKs. But when you have kids, especially ones that are in school, this is every parent's worst nightmare. I totally get why that woman was against renting - for exactly this kind of scenario. Nothing against the bachelors/bachelorettes or DINKs that have the flexibility....that is great for you guys. But for people like us who have a lot of kids, the dynamic is totally different. We need stability. Our kids needs stability. I hope you guys can be a little more open next time when a parent disses renting.</blockquote>
Well... I have kids so I think I'm qualified to reply to this post.

1. The money saved by renting vs. buying right now allows me to buy the things my kids want... and send them to college if/when that time comes.

2. If it comes down to it, I should be able to find another rental in the same area.

3. Even if I can't, most schools will allow your kids to stay there even if you move out of their "district".

4. Kids do need stability... but as long as they have their same parent(s), same bed, same toys, same pets and same friends... they'll be okay. Having broke parent(s) who can't afford the basics because they overextended themselves is probably worse for the kids.

5. Having to foreclose and then moving into a rental is just as bad if not moreso than having to move from your current rental to another. I think if you explain to the kids what renting is... they'll be fine. My kids are young but they know to be careful because Mr. Landlord will be unhappy.

I understand your side of it... the last time I rented was when I was single... but it's not that bad. Many families do it with no problems... I think it's more of a perception... one that I had to get over (and convince my sig-oth of) once we decided to sell our home and rent.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1239844971][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1239822981]This is harking me back to the post where someone was asking why in the world two kids would be a motivating factor to buy instead of rent, as if the lady was daft...... well, this is it in a nutshell. It might be easy to pick up and move on when you are single or DINKs. But when you have kids, especially ones that are in school, this is every parent's worst nightmare. I totally get why that woman was against renting - for exactly this kind of scenario. Nothing against the bachelors/bachelorettes or DINKs that have the flexibility....that is great for you guys. But for people like us who have a lot of kids, the dynamic is totally different. We need stability. Our kids needs stability. I hope you guys can be a little more open next time when a parent disses renting.</blockquote>
Well... I have kids so I think I'm qualified to reply to this post.

1. The money saved by renting vs. buying right now allows me to buy the things my kids want... and send them to college if/when that time comes.

I TOTALLY GET THAT - I JUST CAME TO A SIMILAR CONCLUSION AND HAVE DECIDED TO CONITNUE TO RENT. BUT, ALL I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT PARENTS WITH KIDS IN SCHOOL HAVE DIFFERENT NEEDS THAN A SET OF DINKs THAT ONLY NEED PACK THEIR SUITCASE AND MOVE ON. PACKING UP A SUITCASE AND AN ESPRESSO MACHINE IS ALOT DIFFERENT THAN MOVING WITH FOUR KIDS. YOU MUST KNOW HOW MUCH STUFF KIDS HAVE, RIGHT? ALL I AM TRYING TO POINT OUT IS THAT MOVING MID-SCHOOL YEAR WITH KIDS IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT DYNAMIC, AND SOMETHING THAT PARENTS THINK ABOUT WHEN MAKING THEIR DECISIONS ON RENTING VERSES BUYING. FOR SOME, IT IS SIMPLY WORTH IT TO BITE THE BULLET AND HAVE PEACE OF MIND, SO WHY TREAT THEM LIKE DAFT RETARDS? I AM JUST SAYING TO GIVE THEM A LITTLE MORE SLACK.

2. If it comes down to it, I should be able to find another rental in the same area.

REALLY? WELL, MAYBE WHERE YOU ARE LIVING. BUT I KNOW IN TURTLE ROCK THEY ARE VERY FEW REASONABLE PLACES TO RENT. SO MAYBE THIS EASE OF TRANSITION VARIES BY AREA?

3. Even if I can't, most schools will allow your kids to stay there even if you move out of their "district".

SO WHAT IF THESE PEOPLE WORK, AND NOW THEIR OLDER KIDS CANNOT GET THEMSELVES HOME AFTER SCHOOL? THERE IS ALOT MORE TO IT FOR SOME. NOT EVERYONE HAS CAREFREE LIVES.

4. Kids do need stability... but as long as they have their same parent(s), same bed, same toys, same pets and same friends... they'll be okay. Having broke parent(s) who can't afford the basics because they overextended themselves is probably worse for the kids.

TRUE. I AM JUST SAYING IT IS PART OF A PARENTS DECISION MAKING PROCESS TO TRY AND PREVENT THIS TYPE OF SCENARIO. FOR ME, I SOLVE THE PROBLEM BY RENTING AN APARTMENT - PROBLEM SOLVED. FOR OTHER PARENTS, THEY JUST DONT WANT TO LIVE IN AN APARTMENT, SO OBVIOUSLY HAVE MORE TO CONSIDER.

5. Having to foreclose and then moving into a rental is just as bad if not moreso than having to move from your current rental to another. I think if you explain to the kids what renting is... they'll be fine. My kids are young but they know to be careful because Mr. Landlord will be unhappy.

I understand your side of it... the last time I rented was when I was single... but it's not that bad. Many families do it with no problems... I think it's more of a perception... one that I had to get over (and convince my sig-oth of) once we decided to sell our home and rent.

I ALSO AM A RENTER RIGHT NOW, AND PLAN TO CONTINUE. I JUST DON'T FEEL THE NEED TO BASH ANOTHER PARENT FOR COMING TO A DIFFERENT CONCLUSION BASED ON THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES AND DECISIONS BASED ON THEIR NEEDS. IF THEY WANT TO JUMP IN NOW AND BUY A HOME THAT COULD DEPRECIATE ANOTHER 10%, AND THEY DECIDE IT IS WORTH IT FOR THEIR STABILITY BECAUSE THEY PLAN ON LIVING THERE LONG TERM, THEN FINE. I DONT THINK THAT PARENT IS ANY LESS INTELLIGENT FOR COMING TO THAT CONCLUSION BASED ON THEIR JOB STABILITY AND FAMILY NEEDS.

</blockquote>

Well as an update... he didn't pay his taxes this month, either. Lo and behold, I can now see 2 things with his name on the grantor/grantee search - "ASGT TRUST DEED GRANTOR & GRANTEE " and "NOTICE DEFAULT GRANTOR "....

Looks like I need to begin to make some calls.

Crap.

My landlord hasn't paid his 2008 taxes either. Lease is up next month and we are moving. Thanks to all the information here, I knew to check. I'm glad we are getting out before it all falls apart on our landlord. Good Luck!

[quote author="k.o." date=1241145321]Well as an update... he didn't pay his taxes this month, either. Lo and behold, I can now see 2 things with his name on the grantor/grantee search - "ASGT TRUST DEED GRANTOR & GRANTEE " and "NOTICE DEFAULT GRANTOR "....

Looks like I need to begin to make some calls.

Crap.</blockquote>

I just came back from the County Recorder's office, let me tell you, that is a fun thing to navigate your first time there!

Forgive my ignorance but the situs listed on the NOD is the location of the property in default, correct? Just making sure. The guy owns multiple properties so I'm just trying to confirm it is this one in particular. It isn't the property I rent, but seems like his deck of cards is starting to crumble. And not too sure I want to be stuck in the middle of it.

Back