So much for the safest city

ABC123_IHB

I fully expect property values to decline by at least 10% because of this

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-police-started-2638943">Man barricaded in Irvine apartment</a>

IRVINE ? A man is barricaded inside an Irvine apartment in the 400 block of Hayes Street, surrounded by Irvine police officers and sheriff's deputies.

Sheriff's deputies were at the location serving papers in a civil process when they heard a gunshot inside the apartment, said Lt. Henry Boggs of the Irvine Police Department.

The standoff started a around 1 p.m. The deputies were at the front door when they heard the single gunshot.

SWAT negotiators have tried to make contact with the man, but had not been successful as of 3 p.m., Boggs said

Police have set up a mobile command post a few blocks away, at Yale Avenue and the I-5, Boggs said.

Police have set up a perimeter several blocks wide. There are around 40 squad cars on scene, along with an armored car, a SWAT team, and a helicopter.

Police have received no threats of explosives, Boggs said.

Irvine High School, a little more than a half mile away on the other side of the I-5, reportedly went on lockdown, but that was not at police request, Boggs said.

More information to come.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1257495969]All this for an inviction notice?</blockquote>
Well, they need SWAT to get him out of there so they can rent it out the apartment ASAP.

[quote author="Irvinian" date=1257496308]do they need 40 squad cars, a mobile command center, SWAT vehicles, and a helicopter to get one guy?</blockquote>
You know, this would be the perfect time to rob a few banks in Irvine.

My kids elementary school was on lock down today too. My daughter said there was some man in the school yard acting weird. Her school is not far from this apartment complex. I thought maybe Spirit wondered off the JOST but maybe the lock down was related to this guy.

My girls also go to school about a mile down the street from there. I drove by at 3:45 and saw the melee and wondered what was going on. Their school also went on lockdown.

I think the fact there was a gun shot warrants the overreaction.

When I was living in Boston recently a guy got out a gun and was holding his mom and brother hostage. The brother managed to escape and called the police. While the police were outside deciding strategy, the guy killed the mom and himself.

And remember that brutal murder on the east coast, the one where the men followed the daughter home from 7-11 and held the family hostage all night. They took the mom to the bank the next morning to take out all her cash. The bank teller alerted the police that the woman was under distress. Long story short, the police were standing outside the house for something like 45 minutes, while a mass slaughter was taking place inside.

I know it is a tough line to walk - rush in or wait? But I think they should be ready no matter what. Isn't that what we pay them for?

So, the guy is dead. (You can use the link in the first post and it will show you the updated article.) Bk is going to have a field day with this one. The gunshot was "self-inflicted" and they won't name the apartment complex this took place in.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1257505338]So, the guy is dead. (You can use the link in the first post and it will show you the updated article.) Bk is going to have a field day with this one. The gunshot was "self-inflicted" and they won't name the apartment complex this took place in.</blockquote>

I wonder how they'll work it out so that he actually died in a Santa Ana hospital? :)

That's a crazy and sad story but at least he did take anyone else with him.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1257507277]from the map, it could be Northwood Park or Northwood Place...</blockquote>

It was Northwood Place. My husband jogged by while the investigation was going on. That area seems to be cursed as of late: first the terrorist thing, then the icicle gun, now this. Each of those crimes took place in the last year and all crime scenes are right next door to each other.

Another suicide ? That will not be on the FBI crime log. Irvine is still the safest city. The massive Swat and back up overkill I believe is a tactic to intimidate the victim to taking his own life.

The Irvine Bank of America incident was another one. Very few bank robberies ended with suicide when no hostages were harmed.

"Suicide". HAHAHA!

Jeffrey is cursed!

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1257501723]My girls also go to school about a mile down the street from there. I drove by at 3:45 and saw the melee and wondered what was going on. Their school also went on lockdown.

<strong>I think the fact there was a gun shot warrants the overreaction.</strong>

</blockquote>

oh give me a break. a guy barricaded in his own apartment is no reason to put a school a half mile away on lock-down. They shouldnt put anything on "lockdown" past 1 block. What, is he going to cut a hole in his roof and start shooting mortars? please

I heard the school officials were the one who close down the campus, not the cops.

If I remember the article on the news correctly, the victim shot himself when only the OCS was there. The SWAT arrived after the allegedly fatal shot, so I don't see hot it was a intimidation tactic on the IPD book.

Irvine so far has zero track record for people surrendering ALIVE. If they do then the act of crime would go on the record. It is better to intimidate the subjects to committing a self fatal shot.

Back