So I got a citation....

SCARLETTE_IHB

for a "rolling stop." It's going to cost $500!!!!! What can I do to reduce the fine? Only second ticket in my life and I didn't remember them being this expensive!

[quote author="SCARLETTE" date=1249525678]for a "rolling stop." It's going to cost $500!!!!! What can I do to reduce the fine? Only second ticket in my life and I didn't remember them being this expensive!</blockquote>
Throw yourself at the mercy of the judge. Honestly, it'll be tough for you to get it reduced. The local governments need to raise revenues somehow and jacked up the cost of traffic violations is one good way to do it for them.

Irvine cops always show up in court. They get double pay for the time spent there in nice air conditioned space. This is why the icicle gun was never followed up.

I have fought off tickets in Irvine but each time I had to spend a lot of time to prepare visual exhibits and theory.

The best defense is the tree canopy blocking the visibility of the stop sign but Irvine HOA and association are very diligent in trimming the tree canopy to make sure there are no blockage of traffic signs and house address sign at the request of the Police and Fire departments. I have used the over grown tree defense for years.

I guess Irvine trees will never end up like Floral Park because of legal reasons. Cops in Floral Parks issue just warnings instead of tickets because the residents there pay a lot of taxes and also are very politically influential.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1249526362]Fight it and hope the cop dont show.

If he does. Get Traffic school. But say Adios to your $$$$.</blockquote>

I don't think you are allowed to do traffic school after contesting a ticket. It's one or the other (at least last time I got a ticket)

Where was it in Irvine? Were they parked just watching everyone go past that stop sign or just happened to be there when you were?

I got one at Yale/Meadowwood awhile back for a "California Roll"

I seem to remember mine being close to 300 back in 2002. Crazy its gone up to 500 already.

$500!!! Geez... You know that reminds me. The motorcycle cop gave me a ticket near Mission Viejo mall a few years back. Of course, he ignored the violator right before me. Anyways, you know what I did? I stop shopping or buying anything in MV. Not going to add anymore to their local tax revenue.

As a public service announcement:

Always make a complete stop at:

Robinson and Asbury in West Irvine.

Long Meadow and Vintage in Woodbury.

Warner and Yale Loop in Woodbridge.

Harvard and Poplar in College Park.

(add your intersection here.)

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1249529162][quote author="bltserv" date=1249526362]Fight it and hope the cop dont show.

I don't think you are allowed to do traffic school after contesting a ticket. It's one or the other (at least last time I got a ticket)</blockquote>

This is not true - well at least in LA County. I got a speeding ticket (for about $280) in October of 2008, delayed the payment due date on the LA County Superior Court website, then i did a trial by declaration (wrote a letter to the judge), within a week of sending the letter in i got a letter back saying i was guilty and that I had till so and so date to attend traffic school (had to pay $49 to be able to go to traffic school). Then I extended the due date of traffic school, which i had to do before the end of July, 2009. Did the online traffic school for $25.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1249532965]As a public service announcement:

(add your intersection here.)</blockquote>

I was walking my dogs along harvard on a saturday morning, saw two motorcycle cops sitting behind the trees at the Athletic Park at the intersection of Harvard/Poplar - as the bicyclists past by they would pull them over and give them tickets for not stopping at the stop sign! I know bikes need to follow traffic rules but c'mon couldnt they give them a warning? there were not even cars around. Then they went back to hide behind the trees again and they pulled over more bicyclists! I saw a total of five bicyclists get tickets for not stopping at the damn stop sign.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249525901][quote author="SCARLETTE" date=1249525678]for a "rolling stop." It's going to cost $500!!!!! What can I do to reduce the fine? Only second ticket in my life and I didn't remember them being this expensive!</blockquote>
Throw yourself at the mercy of the judge. Honestly, it'll be tough for you to get it reduced. The local governments need to raise revenues somehow and jacked up the cost of traffic violations is one good way to do it for them.</blockquote>

A friend of mine went to court to ask the judge if she could get the ticket reduced due to financial hardship, he offered her 80 hours of community service in liue of paying the ticket. She then just decided to pay her ticket.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1249532965]As a public service announcement:

Knollcrest and Quail Ridge in Quail Hill

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249533538][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1249532965]As a public service announcement:

I was walking my dogs along harvard on a saturday morning, saw two motorcycle cops sitting behind the trees at the Athletic Park at the intersection of Harvard/Poplar - as the bicyclists past by they would pull them over and give them tickets for not stopping at the stop sign! I know bikes need to follow traffic rules but c'mon couldnt they give them a warning? there were not even cars around. Then they went back to hide behind the trees again and they pulled over more bicyclists! I saw a total of five bicyclists get tickets for not stopping at the damn stop sign.</blockquote>

That is funny. Someone should put it on Youtube. =)

[quote author="SCARLETTE" date=1249525678]for a "rolling stop." It's going to cost $500!!!!! What can I do to reduce the fine? Only second ticket in my life and I didn't remember them being this expensive!</blockquote>

Scarlette, can you post the exact CVC you are charged with violating?

It is the only way to know if you have a chance of beating it. See <a href="http://www.helpigotaticket.com/">this site</a> for more information.

I beat a speeding ticket following the instructions on that site a few years ago.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249533538]

I was walking my dogs along harvard on a saturday morning, saw two motorcycle cops sitting behind the trees at the Athletic Park at the intersection of Harvard/Poplar - as the bicyclists past by they would pull them over and give them tickets for not stopping at the stop sign! I know bikes need to follow traffic rules but c'mon couldnt they give them a warning? there were not even cars around. Then they went back to hide behind the trees again and they pulled over more bicyclists! I saw a total of five bicyclists get tickets for not stopping at the damn stop sign.</blockquote>
Well equal right to the road takes responsibility, you know. I don't mind these sorts of things as long as the cops who were giving out ticket are looking out for cyclists by giving tickets to motorists who does not follow the rule when we cyclists are around them.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249533263][quote author="green_cactus" date=1249529162][quote author="bltserv" date=1249526362]Fight it and hope the cop dont show.

I don't think you are allowed to do traffic school after contesting a ticket. It's one or the other (at least last time I got a ticket)</blockquote>

This is not true - well at least in LA County. I got a speeding ticket (for about $280) in October of 2008, delayed the payment due date on the LA County Superior Court website, then i did a trial by declaration (wrote a letter to the judge), within a week of sending the letter in i got a letter back saying i was guilty and that I had till so and so date to attend traffic school (had to pay $49 to be able to go to traffic school). Then I extended the due date of traffic school, which i had to do before the end of July, 2009. Did the online traffic school for $25.</blockquote>

I got mine in Orange County. At the time it seemed that if you are going to contest the ticket, traffic school is at the discretion of the judge (but not a guaranteed option anymore). Orange county doesn't allow online traffic school either (at least not yet).

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249533683][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1249532965]As a public service announcement:

Knollcrest and Quail Ridge in Quail Hill</blockquote>

For those interested in speed traps in your area or commute to work. Check out this site. Its updated by users like you and me.

www.speedtrap.org/speed-traps/find/

Back