Sling TV?

Hmm, haven't tried it yet but it looks inexpensive.

This may be better than netflix. If it is good, then just wait and you'll see it become the new netflix. Reminds me when blockbuster was popular back then only for netflix to come and replace them.

Ok just tried it. Watching Bill polian talk nonsense for the first time in months. Yippee.  picture quality is really good. No commercials but you do have to stare at the "we'll be right back screen".

If they can get Disney Jr. and Fox News I'm probably in.  Otherwise I'll never convince my wife to switch.

NO!!!!!  if this continue, i will lose my job at dtv and move out of Irvine..  :(

Please support DTV by signing up 200 dollars packages..  and then yaliu07 can hang w/ you guys in the TI form...  otherwise, he will be flipping burger at mcdonald.

yaliu07 said:
NO!!!!!  if this continue, i will lose my job at dtv and move out of Irvine..  :(

Please support DTV by signing up 200 dollars packages..  and then yaliu07 can hang w/ you guys in the TI form...  otherwise, he will be flipping burger at mcdonald.

Aren't you already planning your exit before the ghosts arrive?  ;)

So this slingTV piece completes my 'cut the cord' project. 

Before cutting the cord, I was paying Cox $120 per month for cable/DVR/taxes/etc.
After cutting the cord, I am now paying around $36 per month for Hulu ($7.99), Amazon Prime (~$8) and SlingTV ($20).
Savings of $84 per month.

bones said:

Before cutting the cord, I was paying Cox $120 per month for cable/DVR/taxes/etc.
After cutting the cord, I am now paying around $36 per month for Hulu ($7.99), Amazon Prime (~$8) and SlingTV ($20).

What are you doing for internet?

RandomLetters said:
bones said:

What are you doing for internet?

Cox but work pays

bones said:

I went thru a temporary 'cut the cord' period few months ago.  It wasn't fun, missed my local channels (OTA didn't work well), CNBC, TWC, HGTV, FOOD, etc.  This Sling TV shows promise as it has Food/hgtv/travel.  But if OTA reception is bad, I still can't convert.  I pay about $60 for UVERSE, two TVs, two DVRs.  No contract, price good for 1 year, also get a $150 gift card in the beginning. 

ps9 said:
bones said:

I went thru a temporary 'cut the cord' period few months ago.  It wasn't fun, missed my local channels (OTA didn't work well), CNBC, TWC, HGTV, FOOD, etc.  This Sling TV shows promise as it has Food/hgtv/travel.  But if OTA reception is bad, I still can't convert.  I pay about $60 for UVERSE, two TVs, two DVRs.  No contract, price good for 1 year, also get a $150 gift card in the beginning. 

I think we discussed this some time last year but my #1 motivation to cut the cord wasn't bc of money. I Just can't stand how it all works - the promos, calling every few months, etc.  The cost savings is just the cherry on top.

If you are a heavy TV and cable user, I can see cutting the cord being painful. For us, we only watch mainstream sports so sling solves almost 100% of that issue.  The other stuff we watch is OTA on the major networks. Hulu solves that issue minus CBS. For cbs shows, I just stream direct from their website.  For kid stuff, we are heavy into Amazon prime and some Hulu. Add in YouTube and our junior set is content.

ps9 said:
bones said:

They get you the second year.

bones said:
ps9 said:
bones said:

I think we discussed this some time last year but my #1 motivation to cut the cord wasn't bc of money. I Just can't stand how it all works - the promos, calling every few months, etc.  The cost savings is just the cherry on top.

If you are a heavy TV and cable user, I can see cutting the cord being painful. For us, we only watch mainstream sports so sling solves almost 100% of that issue.  The other stuff we watch is OTA on the major networks. Hulu solves that issue minus CBS. For cbs shows, I just stream direct from their website.  For kid stuff, we are heavy into Amazon prime and some Hulu. Add in YouTube and our junior set is content.

I cut the cable because I was paying for channels I didn't watch, and I don't feel obligated now to watch tv.

Yes yaliu07 don't worry there will always be jobs out there that can compensate. the path/field you're in can help you in other fields, doesn't have to be only directTV ^_^ maybe Sling TV will be hiring soon!

@bones:

So what device are you using to put SlingTV on your TV, Amazon Fire Stick or something else?

I just wish they had NBATV and Fox Sports. I watch lots of NBA and Clippers.

irvinehomeowner said:
@bones:

So what device are you using to put SlingTV on your TV, Amazon Fire Stick or something else?

I just wish they had NBATV and Fox Sports. I watch lots of NBA and Clippers.

Maybe your aware of it. You can subscribe to NBA Game time with out cable, but the local teams are blacked out.

Back