Size or location?

What is more important when you are looking at homes (choose up to 2)?

• Larger home (size)

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Larger lot (size)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Neighborhood (location)

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Lot type: culdesac, corner lot, view lot (location)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

Useless IHO Poll #267 (roundcorners needs to get back into the game)

Now that prices on newer 3CWGs are skirting the $800k level in some areas, we're struggling with deciding what would be better for us. In a perfect world, we could get a newer large home on a big view lot on a culdesac in a neighborhood/city we like... as long as it's not in Irvine... heh.

We can find this in cities like Mission Viejo, Foothill Ranch or Las Flores but the distance is a killer. We actually found some nice homes that are $600-700k but the distance to where we work/play/eat is a big concern.

There are some in Tustin Ranch (AKA North Irvine) and they are very tempting... and while we may have to give up on a view lot (unless you're in the way more expensive homes) and maybe lot size, you can get a sizeable home for less than $800k... and indicators look like there may go lower (but don't quote me... I'm not a psychic). While the wife likes that area.. I'm not too hot on it because... well... one: it's too hot. I prefer to live closer to the 405 (yeah... I'm weird that way) and I really want to live in an elevated area. That's why I like Quail Hill so much but unfortunately, there will never be a 3CWG there below $800k (I'm kind of cheating because there are no 3CWGs in Quail Hill). We've considered one of the condos or pseudo SFRs (detached condos) but that's where the whole size vs. location comes into play.

Oak Creek is also an option as newer 3CWG homes are approaching the low $800ks but like Tustin Ranch, no view lots... the floorplans aren't as nice as Tustin Ranch but at least it's closer to the 405.

But with Laguna Crossing opening up sometime in the next 100 years (although rumors are it could be as early as this winter/early 2011), should we wait to see what they have before making any type of decision? I realize I won't be able to get a 3CWG (they probably won't make any) or even a 2-car traditional type SFR but I really like that location so could we deal with a < 2000sft detached condo with a back garage?

Moving from a bigger home to a smaller home tells us we can certainly live in a smaller house... but it is nice to be able to spread out and host parties (Christmas was quite crowded). I would prefer a view lot over a large lot but I'm undecided if I would take a smaller house in a preferred location over a larger house in a location that is just okay (given that both are in the general area/city we want).

I know this is something everyone thinks about with so I just wanted to see what decisions you have made in the past and how it will affect your future ones if you are planning to buy.

Historically:

1. Small house, large lot, okay location, not Irvine
2. Larger house, small lot, great neighborhood, nice street location (culdesac) but bad freeway noise location, Irvine
3. Much larger house, huge lot, culdesac, great 'hood, bad-bad location (major street noise), Irvine
4. (Rental) Large house, small lot, awesome 'hood, no noise, Irvine

We are back in #2 and while the size bothers us a bit, the noise bothers us more... but we love the 'hood. If we could take our house and move it somewhere else... we would probably be okay. And considering this may actually be the last house (at least for the time it will take our kids to get through elementary and maybe middle school)... we are being very picky.

While I know the first 3 rules of real estate are "Location"... it's hard to not want to be back in a 3CWG.

I await your KPop videos...

You'll have a chance to buy a brand new 3CWG in Tustin for $800k when Augusta at Columbus Square opens early next year.

test said:
You'll have a chance to buy a brand new 3CWG in Tustin for $800k when Augusta at Columbus Square opens early next year.
But there's the location thing. I'm not keen on that neighborhood... having lived in an area close to there... the train noise is bothersome and distance to the freeways is irritating. I'm sure other people love it there... but last I remember... MojoXD(?) was complaining about HOA enforcement and some other things.

It's not just the horn noise at crossings... you can not only hear but feel the rumble of those high-speed Amtrak and Metro trains.

As for freeways... I mean access wise... while it's close enough to the 55... that's a roundabout way to go south on the 405. That's actually a minor issue.

And... CoSquare does have that Woodbury-type crowd-ation going for it.

For myself, its been age (had to be new), location (covers neighborhood, proximity to work/school/play), view (do I like what I see outside my window), size; in that order (large enough to be comfortable but not big) and lastly noise.

For example - over my years here in Tokyo, I lived in 7-8 different locations before buying my "home":

All "homes" - actually high-rise condos have been in excellent locations,  great views, close to work/play centers but none have been large.  Largest is approx 1200 sq ft.  In one case, I lived above 8 major train lines AND next to the freeway BUT the views were incredible (both city and ocean views) and the location was great ( 10 minute train ride to work, 10 minutes to Tokyo Station, Disneyland and shopping were also very close) . 

When it came time to buy, same criteria.  I bought new,  have excellent views (both ocean and city), close to everything, I'm still on a major street, but nothing like earlier. size wise, its only a 3-bedroom, about 1200 sq feet.  If I moved outwards towards the burbs, for the same or less money, I could have had reasonable location (for me), good size (about 2000 sq feet or more) but views would not be as good.

As for the future in Irvine, my criteria might need to change, might need to put size first.  However, I'm struggling with that because I know I will miss having a view other than my neighbors entrance.  So I need to be up a bit higher. Quail Hill fits the bill for view/age as would Laguna Canyon (are there others to be considered) but not sure I want to pay the ticket to admission in this housing climate. 
I'll also be in the house for at least 15 years (2nd child will finish high-school about then) so I am also being very picky.  The one thing I do have is (some) time.  hopefully that will work in my favor and increase my options.

(now back to your regularly scheduled K-POP)

These are all the same considerations we have right now.  First, the thing about West Irvine/ Tustin Ranch.  The heat is not that bad.  I work in NB, so I know what you mean.  It's about a 10 deg difference from the coast and that area.  The wife personally would love NB, but that's just not in the cards any time soon.  The area is close to the 5 fwy, so it's pretty convenient overall.  I can get to downtown in 35 minutes without traffic right now (in West Irvine).  The areas in TR of El Dorado, Sedona and Columbia Westmont are pretty nice.  You get that nice new park there on the Portola corner.  Food and shopping is relatively close.  My commute is about 25 minutes locally to NB (12 mi) which isn't that bad...  so for me TR/WI is absolutely in the mix...  You get the 3CWGs and bigger lots...  a HUGE plus.  Also, the schooling is still great with Myford/ Ladera elementary, Pioneer Middle, and Boeckmann HS. 

Years ago, I was advised by well respected RE professionals to stay away from Oak Creek.  The area sits in a basin slightly below see level, and part of it borders the 405 (horrible!).  You also get the monstrous power grid which just doesnt feel right.  Not worth paying any premium for.  Laguna X will be interesting, but apparently it will be selling $400-450+ per foot.  Ridiculous.  I'd rather find a nicer older place in Eastbluff or Turtle Rock for that kind of money. 

Currently we live in a 1500 sqft Townhome.  It's not that bad, because we have only one attached wall.  However, the home lacks all of the sight, feel and sound of what I traditionally think of as a home.  A back yard with more than 5 ft of space from the house to the retaining wall.  An actual driveway, where if needed, you or a guest can park a car.  Lastly, even in the 1500 sq ft home, things are getting cramped.  Room is everything.  If you don't have kids, then just wait and see.  Everything takes up space.  We are not pack rats.  Rather, we are the opposite.  However, even just the necessities of life are starting overrun our house.  I grew up in a home w 43K sq ft... so maybe that's where some of this is coming from...  who knows. 

I've actually tried to convince myself time and time again, that "less is more"...  I've gone throught the NHC models 30 times+....  There is just something about what you get that makes me feel uneasy.  Almost pulled the trigger at Sonoma, but just couldn't justify it.  Not that it will be, but we want the next house to be somewhere we CAN live in for the next 15 years+ if we need to.  So we too, are being extra picky...  Also, with children, one should definitely consider schooling...

For the schooling reason, we are staying away from the Tustin side of Villages of Col.  I'm not down with Tustin HS.  Our preference would be University or Northwood HS... Boeckmann is fine.  My wife grew up in Irvine, so she feels that Irvine HS and Woodbridge are not as good as the latter... 

Also looked at North Tustin.  You are getting away from Irvine now, but Foothill HS isnt bad...  You get some AWESOME views and sometimes HUGE lots... 

I think akim is my twin... the whole kids thing is turning out to be a much bigger factor than we had originally though when we sold our other house. I think it's nice if the kids in your 'hood go to the same schools.

And I totally agree with the less is more. It's not like I want to buy a bigger house and fill it with furniture... I just want to be able to fit our current sparse furniture into it. I actually think we need more storage space than actual living space... stupid Costco (heh).

BTW: 10 or even 5 degrees is a big deal to me... I like cold weather and I don't want to have the AC running 24/7. I agree about those areas in Tustin Ranch you named... I just find it interesting that only certain gated tracts have community pools.

Location is key for me:
1) In Irvine or Tustin Ranch
2) Community amenities such as tot lot, pool (other sport facilities a plus)
3) Ideally walkable distance to local stores for grocery, coffee etc...
4) Culdesac location would be great
5) Not backing to major roadway
6) Biking or walking distance to schools (but not next to the school!)
7) Next to green belt or single loaded street a plus

I am willing to sacrifice on lot size and even sqft if the home still offers traditional SFR setup--i.e. some semblance of a yard, driveway, and detached from my neighbor.

iacrenter said:
Location is key for me:
1) In Irvine or Tustin Ranch
2) Community amenities such as tot lot, pool (other sport facilities a plus)
3) Ideally walkable distance to local stores for grocery, coffee etc...
4) Culdesac location would be great
5) Not backing to major roadway
6) Biking or walking distance to schools (but not next to the school!)
7) Next to green belt or single loaded street a plus

I am willing to sacrifice on lot size and even sqft if the home still offers traditional SFR setup--i.e. some semblance of a yard, driveway, and detached from my neighbor.

We started out with exactly the same requirements, but the more we looked at houses and what you would get for your money - our requirements changed and ended up not buying a place that had the 1st 3 requirements

Neighborhood and home size seem to be the overriding themes here.

So I guess that's why TIC is building what they are building... bigger homes on smaller lots... as long as they are in Irvine.

That does say something about why Portola isn't doing as well as Woodbury... location of the neighborhood is 2 to 1 compared to home size. So I guess they have to make the Portola homes twice as big to compete... hehe.

I think most would agree that if you had to choose between a smaller home or smaller lot... you would choose the lot... esp in places like Irvine where there are plenty of outdoor spaces to use like the parks, pools etc etc. It would be nice to have a big lot but that also means more costs... or more ideas like my wife wanting a pool if we get a house that has a backyard big enough for one.

Pool maintenance is a huge PITA - or a huge expense and pool service companies never do a very good job because they know they can just charge you later in the year to do a chemical shock if you get algae or something.    Not that she'll believe you I guess. But it is pretty annoying.  And you won't use it nearly as much as you think you will.  And the LIABILITY.

So, I put "lot" and "location" but ... it looks like we are primarily focusing on size in our search.  So go figure.  We really want a 2 car garage and a second bathroom, and we're giving up on a better location in order to have it.  But I think part of that is because we think about this place very heavily in terms of rentability and resale, and those are features which really matter to people (the bathroom at least) whereas we ourselves don't use our second bathroom for anything but storage and we would be fine with a 1 car garage or a tandem.    After size I look at lot (i want  a DOG and not having a small back yard/patio makes that either expensive or annoying).   

Hmm. No maybe thats not true - I do narrow my search down to locations I consider "acceptable" first, but my first choice locations are so far out of my budget that I still have my zip realty searches running but I don't expect anything.  So its not a matter of "I could live in Irvine but have a small house" but more of a matter of "its not affordable, period" (not that irvine is my first choice .... if it was i could buy one of those awfully ghetto looking little condos that pop up in the low to mid 2s....)

Yeah... I don't want the pool for the reasons you state. Stupid Tustin Ranch doesn't have community pools for all their homes though.

Aren't there some reasonably priced 2-car/2-bath condo/townhomes outside of Irvine?

Back