Silvermist (Beacon Park) vs The Summit (Baker Ranch)

irvinenative

Trying to decide between Silvermist in Beacon Park (Jade model) vs The Summit in Baker Ranch, Lake Forest (Alpine model). I'm having a really hard time deciding because both are similarly priced, but you get so much more for The Summit. The homes in The Summit are by Toll Brothers and look so luxurious and grand. My concern though is of the proximity to the jail and with the recent jail expansion how that could potentially affect re-sale value? Regarding Silvermist, I've been hearing about the cemetery and potential soil contamination being issues as well, but the plus is that it'll be Irvine school district. How does everyone feel and which one do you think would appreciate more quickly over time? I'm so torn!

Irvine money for Baker Ranch? Go for Irvine.

As for luxurious, walk into an undecorated home without upgrades and see how luxurious it is.

The advantage to Baker Ranch is no mello.

irvinenative said:
Trying to decide between Silvermist in Beacon Park (Jade model) vs The Summit in Baker Ranch, Lake Forest (Alpine model). I'm having a really hard time deciding because both are similarly priced, but you get so much more for The Summit. The homes in The Summit are by Toll Brothers and look so luxurious and grand. My concern though is of the proximity to the jail and with the recent jail expansion how that could potentially affect re-sale value? Regarding Silvermist, I've been hearing about the cemetery and potential soil contamination being issues as well, but the plus is that it'll be Irvine school district. How does everyone feel and which one do you think would appreciate more quickly over time? I'm so torn!

Your name says it all.

If it's that close choose Irvine.

jmoney74 said:
irvinenative said:

Your name says it all.

getting lured by Toll Bros' The Summit. Can't afford Hidden Canyon, but The Summit comes close for a more reasonable price. It's literally across the street from Irvine. Sounds like it's better to live in Beacon Park?

irvinenative said:
jmoney74 said:
irvinenative said:

Your name says it all.

getting lured by Toll Bros' The Summit. Can't afford Hidden Canyon, but The Summit comes close for a more reasonable price. It's literally across the street from Irvine. Sounds like it's better to live in Beacon Park?

That's like living in culver city instead of Santa Monica. It's not the same.  ;)

This will be a tough choice, but depends on your specific needs.  I will take Silvermist for the kids. Easy walking distance to IUSD K-8 and close to new HS.  If my kids were older and I was near retirement, I will take those awesome views at the Summit and hate to pay close to $9k in MR for Silvermist.  Double MR hurts~  Good Luck!

btw, the model home for The Summit will be ready on May 7th.  They will have Grand Opening then.  But, they already sold >50% of the lots Lol. What's the point of having a Grand Opening.  Those lots next to models have some breathtaking views. 

Quality elementary with Foothill Ranch, but more suspect with Serrano Int and El Toro. I can see the zoning changing really quick if the BR families wish to keep their children closer to home.

Here i how I'd stack it up. Make a list of things that are important to you/your lifestyle (school, active lifestyle, status symbol, the look and feel of the house, really anything..)

See, which home offers more of what is imp to you. And, if the cost of ownership of that home is higher, see how much higher. If it costs you x amount every year in incremental costs (mainly MR as you say they are comparable otherwise), then it is just easy as asking yourself, "Am I willing to pay this annual dues for the added benefits that suits my lifestyle?"

I personally don't put too much weight in far flung hooplas about toxic land, jail, cemetery and number of things. You may buy a home in a perfect location away from all that and you may get hit with a neighbor with constantly barking dog, or some fools in you community misprice their homes when selling and your home all of a sudden is valued less. There is just no way to tell anything.

irvinenative, I can speak to this one.  I was in your same position 2 years ago and went back and forth between Pavilion Park and Baker Ranch / Highlands.  The price between the 2 was similar (PP was a bit lower actually, but I would have gotten 200-300 sq ft more in Baker Ranch).  We kinda got lucky and found the perfect lot at PP that BR couldn't match so went with PP.

One thing I took note of at the time and still notice today is the spacing between the homes at PP vs. BR.  Silvermist homes will likely give you (if PP is any indication) a good side yard between you and your neighbors.  The difference between a 4 foot side yard and an 8 foot side yard on both sides of the fence is huge. BR side yards on the other hand feel pretty TIC like, not a lot of wiggle room there.

I actually drove by Summit models today and couldn't believe they were still doing the ridiculously small side yards here.  Also on the silvermist Jade model, there's no living area above the garage and it gives a great feeling of extra space when you look out the 2nd story hallway window and past your garage before seeing your neighbor's wall.  In the Summit, you could pass the mustard to your neighbor from your 2nd story hallway window. 

Sure these are little things but they all add up.  I could go on and on, and I'm sure Baker Ranch has some one-ups on BP as well.  The BR kids playgrounds and parks are better, more (and nicer pool areas), overall landscaping is better, and the PP/BP HOA is awful.

Long story short, if I had to do it over again I'd make the same choice.  Every time property taxes are due I get the itch to move, but not enough to scratch it yet.

I'm actually quite anxious to see the Summit yards/views/interiors and I'm sure they'll be breathtaking.  You have to make your own list of Pros and Cons and make the right choice for you and your family. 

Goriot said:
This will be a tough choice, but depends on your specific needs.  I will take Silvermist for the kids. Easy walking distance to IUSD K-8 and close to new HS.  If my kids were older and I was near retirement, I will take those awesome views at the Summit and hate to pay close to $9k in MR for Silvermist.  Double MR hurts~  Good Luck!
This is how I feel.

What was the old IHB meme?

#DoItForTheChildren

What are the lot specifics for each?
Do you think this will be your forever home?
Can I vote neither?

at this price point you'll want to look at the lot you're choosing the home on and your lifestyle/needs. if you were able to walk through the production homes at summit, you'll get a better idea of what alpine looks like w/o the model flare

we thought seriously about summit (and just get rid of both of our PP/BP home) and live with the parents but at the end a number of factors just doesn't work for us (we were looking at the del rey).

I think baker ranch has lots of nice perks (and we live in PP right now) and the lack of MR at this price point is very attractive to us and was one of the main reason we were considering - but ultimately we don't want to deal with the school juggling issues. a walkable/short-drive K-9 school for the next decade seems very attractive. i'm not super fixated on an irvine school, but there's some stability there knowing that specific school is for your kid - plus we have one of the smaller homes in PP so the MR isn't super terrible.

irvinenative, you should at least consider a home like this:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/64-Forbes-92618/home/51682953

A bit smaller than Silvermist but you would probably have the same property tax bill as if you lived in Baker Ranch, and you don't have to spend any extra $ on upgrades or landscaping.  Also has guard gated exclusivity which neither of the properties you are looking at have.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably pick this LR property for the best ROI of the 3.

aquabliss said:
irvinenative, I can speak to this one.  I was in your same position 2 years ago and went back and forth between Pavilion Park and Baker Ranch / Highlands.  The price between the 2 was similar (PP was a bit lower actually, but I would have gotten 200-300 sq ft more in Baker Ranch).  We kinda got lucky and found the perfect lot at PP that BR couldn't match so went with PP.

One thing I took note of at the time and still notice today is the spacing between the homes at PP vs. BR.  Silvermist homes will likely give you (if PP is any indication) a good side yard between you and your neighbors.  The difference between a 4 foot side yard and an 8 foot side yard on both sides of the fence is huge. BR side yards on the other hand feel pretty TIC like, not a lot of wiggle room there.

I actually drove by Summit models today and couldn't believe they were still doing the ridiculously small side yards here.  Also on the silvermist Jade model, there's no living area above the garage and it gives a great feeling of extra space when you look out the 2nd story hallway window and past your garage before seeing your neighbor's wall.  In the Summit, you could pass the mustard to your neighbor from your 2nd story hallway window. 

Sure these are little things but they all add up.  I could go on and on, and I'm sure Baker Ranch has some one-ups on BP as well.  The BR kids playgrounds and parks are better, more (and nicer pool areas), overall landscaping is better, and the PP/BP HOA is awful.

Long story short, if I had to do it over again I'd make the same choice.  Every time property taxes are due I get the itch to move, but not enough to scratch it yet.

I'm actually quite anxious to see the Summit yards/views/interiors and I'm sure they'll be breathtaking.  You have to make your own list of Pros and Cons and make the right choice for you and your family.

"PP/BP HOA is awful"
I seconds that.....It only take me 3 times of submittal and almost a 8 months for approving. They came back not approving for ridiculous minor items like planting. Like two feet too far apart. I don't think any other HOA is like this. "Life will be different here." Only if they do live here. I talk to alot of home owner that I've met. They do love PP, the people and the community. NOT THE BS landscaping HOA enforce. I can see if I let my grass grow 5 feet tall. But to put in all efforts and money to only get more rejections from them is beyond ridiculous. This is your modern day mafia. "Please submit another payment for a third review" I guess the 750 + residence monthly HOA fee @ PP per month is not enough from homeowners.

Compressed-Village said:
aquabliss said:

"PP/BP HOA is awful"
I seconds that.....It only take me 3 times of submittal and almost a 8 months for approving. They came back not approving for ridiculous minor items like planting. Like two feet too far apart. I don't think any other HOA is like this. "Life will be different here." Only if they do live here. I talk to alot of home owner that I've met. They do love PP, the people and the community. NOT THE BS landscaping HOA enforce. I can see if I let my grass grow 5 feet tall. But to put in all efforts and money to only get more rejections from them is beyond ridiculous. This is your modern day mafia. "Please submit another payment for a third review" I guess the 750 + residence monthly HOA fee @ PP per month is not enough from homeowners.

Boy, that must be frustrating. Can enough homeowners make loud enough noise to boot the existing HOA board with stated reasons why they are getting booted?

Compressed-Village said:
"PP/BP HOA is awful"[/b] I seconds that.....It only take me 3 times of submittal and almost a 8 months for approving. They came back not approving for ridiculous minor items like planting. Like two feet too far apart. I don't think any other HOA is like this. "Life will be different here." Only if they do live here. I talk to alot of home owner that I've met. They do love PP, the people and the community. NOT THE BS landscaping HOA enforce. I can see if I let my grass grow 5 feet tall. But to put in all efforts and money to only get more rejections from them is beyond ridiculous. This is your modern day mafia. "Please submit another payment for a third review" I guess the 750 + residence monthly HOA fee @ PP per month is not enough from homeowners.

I hear the HOA is more lax in Tustin. :)

Back