Silicon Valley Real Estate

NoSoup4U

My sister is moving to Silicon Valley from Irvine.  Are there any good sites or forums that are similar to this one that are specific to that area?  Where are the best places to live there?  She is married with 2 kids (2 and 3yrs old) and in her mid 30's.  Safety is her biggest concern and good schools.  She is from Irvine so she would like to maintain a similar lifestyle.  I know some people say that Irvine is like the SoCal version of SV but I guess the housing market didn't get hurt that bad up their since its still pretty expensive.  Can 900k-1 mill get anything decent up there?

Cupertino because it is one of the most desired cities up there because of the schools.  It really reminds me a lot of Irvine because of the FCBs, the 99 Ranch Markets, ridiculous housing prices,  and a good selection of Chinese/Taiwanese food. 

If I were to move up there to the Silicon Valley area, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Atherton, and Los Gatos would be my top picks but theres no way in hell I could afford those homes.

For 900k-1million in Silicon Valley, it really wont get you too much.  I would consider looking at Sunnyvale as my brother in law just brought a property for around 1.1mil and got a decent sized sqftage home.  Please note that the houses there are older and may need up keep. 

Good Luck :)

How many rich people can a select few companies produce that would prop up the housing market for an entire region?  Is the overall job market that much better than Irvine?

San Ramon is really nice, but boy does it get hot.  Remember visiting a colleague that lives in Black Hawk... boy..howdy!

After looking at some houses in the cupertino and palo alto areas, I am seeing prices of $600/sq ft.  Is that right?  That is crazy!  And these houses are older than dirt (like 1940's).  One would need to get paid twice as much compared to Irvine to afford those.

I believe it. Back in 1995, I visited an acquaintance's place in Redwood City.  2 bed/1 bath standalone single story house they bought for 500k.  One worked for HP and the other worked at Oracle.

NoSoup4U said:
After looking at some houses in the cupertino and palo alto areas, I am seeing prices of $600/sq ft.  Is that right?  That is crazy!  And these houses are older than dirt (like 1940's).  One would need to get paid twice as much compared to Irvine to afford those.

For Palo Alto, you can get real high like $1k sf, which makes irvine look dirt cheap.  At least peninsula pricing isn't as bad as it is in the city.  There are far more "affordable" housing on the east bay, but with 2 kids, I doubt she'll want the drive into RWC.

My co-worker lives in Half moon bay, which he raves about all the time and the commute into our RWC office isn't that bad for him.

Back