Should I stay or Should I Go?

Kurt2k

Well fellow ?Irvine Dwellers? the time has come for me to make a decision, my lease is up at my Irvine apartment Home.

Here?s my question to all:
Is this as good as it gets? I feel my current complex is a dump?however after reading all the blogs about all the other Irvine apartments, maybe I am being to critical.
It seems ALL the apartments have the same issue:
No Parking
Idiot, noisy loud neighbors
Smoking
Pet crap everywhere
Poor quality construction in the apartment (cabinets, carpet, flooring, counter tops all are a mess)
Ghetto tenants that are pigs
Jerk Management who could care less if you stay or not.
??..and of course, the price. My rent went up?not much but it did go up.

So, what?s a guy to do?shut up, quit whining and get over it, is this is what you get when living in an apartment, regardless if it?s in the utopia city of Irvine?
Maybe I expected to much when my zip code changed to 92602?

Is there an appartment out there that has all we want or do we just keep quiet, pay up or leave?  :'(

Have you looked into private rentals?

There is risk of course with it but you might get a better situation in regards to the items you listed above.

I need to know a little more about your situation if you don't mind:

1) Single, Housemates, Couple, Kids?
2) Which IAC do you currently live at? I am familiar with many of them and can compare them for you.
3) What is your approximate budget?
4) How many bedrooms, bath do you need?

Going private has certainly been a good experience for me. We outgrew our IAC apartment with the addition of two kids to the family. We wanted more space, more privacy, and were willing to pay more as well.

Private vs IAC -- it all depends on your situation and needs.

We recently moved to The Park because of some of the same issues you were having, especially with parking. Parking is a non-issue here because the complex is built on subterranean parking. Also, we never have noise issues and everyone is friendly. When we moved a few months ago, they were only at 60% occupancy and the pricing was pretty competitive with other IAC apartments.

The new communities are much nicer with better tenants and bountiful parking.

The Village - especially mirador which is the quietest building of the four.

The Park - Brand new and very nice. Only issue is it is a little close to the freeway which I did not like. If you don't mind a bit of freeway noise it is a good choice.

Mirasol - Out in Portola Springs, very quiet and mostly families. Feels like the boonies but it is not really that far.

Palmeras and Portola Place - Same as Mirasol but I liked Mirasol much better. Still pretty quiet.

There is just two of us, no pets, no kids, no frat parties, no pot, no stupid loud music and NO SMOKING!
We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1 car detached garage.

The complex is Las Palmas located at Bryan and Market Place. Budget is 1600-1700 mo.
Private options seems over our budget...the 1700 is high for us as well but if the home was nice, we could pony up with the rent.

Our complex is literally falling down, they have built support beams out of 4x4 etc. to support the stairwell from falling down. It's actually embarrassing to bring family and friends here. We say we live in ?Irvine? and they think we have hit the mother- load?until they see the complex. Doesn't Irvine corporate do sight surveys of each complex to make sure the complex managers are doing their job? Quality Control appears to be a non-issue for management.

Kurt2k said:
We say we live in ?Irvine? and they think we have hit the mother- load?until they see the complex.

I had to laugh reading that. When I tell family I live in Irvine, it's the complete opposite reaction. They think we're dirt-poor. (The city is stigmatized by them as a less-than-mediocre place to be because they remember it from decades ago when it was a lot different than now. I try explaining it's changed but they don't get it. I find when I talk to most people not from around here, Irvine still is not "on the map" yet.)

I sure would hope they do a site inspection of your complex if there are some eyesores. If they haven't before, maybe they will now. Several users from TIC visit here.

Kurt2k said:
There is just two of us, no pets, no kids, no frat parties, no pot, no stupid loud music and NO SMOKING!
We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1 car detached garage.

The complex is Las Palmas located at Bryan and Market Place. Budget is 1600-1700 mo.
Private options seems over our budget...the 1700 is high for us as well but if the home was nice, we could pony up with the rent.

Our complex is literally falling down, they have built support beams out of 4x4 etc. to support the stairwell from falling down. It's actually embarrassing to bring family and friends here. We say we live in ?Irvine? and they think we have hit the mother- load?until they see the complex. Doesn't Irvine corporate do sight surveys of each complex to make sure the complex managers are doing their job? Quality Control appears to be a non-issue for management.

Well looking at Rental Living--for 2 BD/2BA for $1700:

Woodbury Court and Esperanza would be in your budget range. They are both relatively new communities but farther South than where you are now--near Woodbury.

WB Court is nice in that you get access to all of WB's ammenities--i.e. The Commons (Resort Pool, Lap Pool, Adult Pool, private basketball courts, tennis courts), several other other pocket parks (some with pools), walking distance to WB shopping center (TJ, The Counter, Ralphs...), close access to I5 & Tollway. Plus you still get the usual IAC stuff--club house, pool, gym, business center, bbq etc... The buildings are ~6 years old? Your parking issues and neighbor issues will probably be the same.

Esperanza is located in WB East and ~2 yrs old. Similar IAC ammenities and I believe (someone will have to double check me) they have access to the WB East community amenities--Palm Club: pool, tot lot, fitness center, basketball court, plus the other pocket parks as well. Much smaller community than WB but still walkable to WB Shopping Center.

Not sure if you are still looking but we are renting a private condo in Avenue 1.  Its 1200 sq ft 2b/2b + loft and soaring ceilings and we are paying under $1800 a month and now on a month to month rent.  Its a little over your budget but is 10 times nicer than IAC rentals at the same cost.  No noise and issues other than everyone is a jerk.  Either you are an underwater owner who paid way too much or a college student renter who doesnt give a crap about where they live.  This isnt a big deal and doesnt bother us much but dont expect any neighborly friendliness.

Back