shared fence needs replacing, neighbor heading to foreclosure

joeyp_IHB

I have a shared fence that is termite ridden and one good gust of win from falling over. The neighbor on the other side is not interested in paying anything to replace it.

Based on unpaid property taxes, I think they are heading to foreclosure.

What can I do?

Pay for the fence yourself, or wait for new neighbors.

Personally, I'd wait till your neighbor got foreclosed on, and then make sure the fence "falls" on the banks property. Somebody will fix it before you get a new tenant.

What most think of as a shared fence is usually not shared. To be shared, the fence must occupy both owner's properties. In other words, it has to be exactly on property line, which is not likely unless a surveyor set line at some time before the fence was built. The fence is owned by the person whose property it is on.

Do you know exactly where your property line is? Are there existing monuments showing location of the property line?

[quote author="awgee" date=1244948341]What most think of as a shared fence is usually not shared. To be shared, the fence must occupy both owner's properties. In other words, it has to be exactly on property line, which is not likely unless a surveyor set line at some time before the fence was built. The fence is owned by the person whose property it is on.

Do you know exactly where your property line is? Are there existing monuments showing location of the property line?</blockquote>

I don't know if it is exactly on the property line. Neither one of us is the original homeowner. It appears that the fence was put up by the builder, since there it goes down the whole block.

Back