Shady Canyon

<p>Any insider info on Shady Canyon? Looks like the entire street at Golden Eagle is for sale. Not sure how low prices will ever get in SC, but they are the largest sized lots (>10k) in Irvine. </p>

<p>Anyone know someone who lives there? How do they like it?</p>

<p>Ideally, these might be great homes in 4-5 years if they fall in the ~$1.5 - 2 mil range.</p>

Remember all the assurances from re agents that the high end market would not affected by the "stabilizing" of re prices? We just toured an open house in Shady Canyon, (44 Blue Heron), for which the asking price is $10,700,000. It is brand new with the punch list almost complete, but the original buyer never moved in. The original buyer purchased less than one year ago for $11,600,000. For funzies, let's assume the home sells for $10,000,000 and the commissions are $250,000, (that's 2.5% total commissions). That will be a loss of $1,850,000 or 16% in less than one year. But, according to the re agents, the high end market won't be affected.<p>

I know 2.5% seems a little low for re commissions, but truthfully, I have no idea what type of commissions are paid on properties of this expense, so I was just being conservative.<p>

Oh yeah, the sitting agent assured me that the owner is highly motivated and willing to consider any offer. But, who knows, maybe some of that foreign money that doesn't consider these prices to be high will come and make a more than full price offer. Or better yet, maybe there will be an Asian bidding war. I am holding my breath.

Willing to consider any offer? Most excellent! Awgee, please email me with the agent's contact information. I cannot wait to put in my offer of 650k! (just kidding)

I am curious as to how many of the houses/lots in Shady Canyon were purchased by people who actually plan to live there versus real estate investors who just hoped to make a quick buck?

I can't figure out why anyone would want to buy a multi-million $ House in "Shady" Canyon, for a start, it's NOT shady in the Summer, I rode my Bike through there several times and I can tell you it was bloody roasting! Mind you, it was nice to get off the trail and ride around the streets, all you have to do is circumnavigate the Barrier at the Guard shack, smile, wave and say "Good morning, thanks for taking good care of us"

It makes their Day and you get in unaccosted.

Which is nice.

It works that way at any Guarded community by the way.

But for that kind of money wouldn't you want a nice Ocean view? Or have a nice 100' Boat Dock at the bottom of your back Garden? Or be situated on top of a Hill overlooking a City where one could look down on the peasants?

Just sayin'

i still dont understand shady canyon. the fake audio of creaking noises as the gates open and the purposely-rusted guard rails on the side of the road are way too much. i feel like i'm at the orange county mining co, for those that have been there. or like a really bad version of big thunder mountain. i understand that irvine is landscaping is completely unnatural and shady canyon is probably more authentic in respects to the natural environment. but do i really want to spend $5 million for that wonderful barstow-like experience?

I'm pretty sure the lure of Shady Canyon is almost exclusively lot size.

If you don't want to be on top of your neighbor and have a decent sized plot to plant some stuff, this seems to be one of the few options in Irvine.

Albeit at what a cost...

<em>>>I'm pretty sure the lure of Shady Canyon is almost exclusively lot size.</em>

That is certainly a large one. The marketing materials (ads, etc.) all had the tag line, "The Luxury of Space."

The property we saw at open house, 44 Blue Heron, was probably the most wonderful house I have ever seen.

<p>Just for you Awgee. . .</p>

<p>I hope the 6 bd 1 BATH is a typo. If not, 12,000+ square ft, $10.4 million and one bathroom . . .</p>

<p><a href="http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?City=IRVINE&State=CA&FirstRec=1&Radius=0&Bedrooms=&FullBaths=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PriceRange=&AmenitiesList=&PropType=%20&TotalRecs=1060&PropIdList=49902653,54041064,55927757,58595520,58595521,57146318,54404857,52190635,52189976&PropId=55927757#">www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.dreamhomesmagazine.com/Home123199.html">www.dreamhomesmagazine.com/Home123199.html</a></p>

From the pics, it's pretty, but I wouldn't say wonderful. It feels too big - everywhere. I detect no warmth or intimacy in that house. To me, that house is a showpiece more than a home.

<p>Even if you had the money, McMonigle would be very picky about who he sells the house to. Since he lives next door, he happens to be the agent/neighbor combo.</p>

Eva, It has the layout and feel of a Macaroni Grill. It has 7 bd and <strong>10 baths. Yes 10 baths. </strong>Probably because you'll feel the need to wash your self of your sins every 5 minutes for over-spending on such a monstrosity.

<p><em>"Since he lives next door, he happens to be the agent/neighbor combo."</em></p>

<p>That ought to be worth an extra $1,000,000 discount. </p>

[quote author="awgee" date=1194915097]The property we saw at open house, 44 Blue Heron, was probably the most wonderful house I have ever seen.</blockquote>

I think Chinese buyers will love this house.

Back