Sense of Community in Your Neighborhood?

acpme said:
In OH Groves, there's basically no sense of community yet. Hoping it will develop over time. Neighbors keep to themselves, but so do we.

Used to complain about how dense it was in Woodbury, but I do miss how quickly we made friends in the neighborhood there.

Really? we have quite the opposite experience. Which part of the Groves do you live in? Although I do have to say the sense of community at Northpark was pretty strong but I think that develops over time. And the denser the community probably the better for that. Wonder how the "sense of community" in Shady Canyon is?

Paris said:
acpme said:
In OH Groves, there's basically no sense of community yet. Hoping it will develop over time. Neighbors keep to themselves, but so do we.

Really? we have quite the opposite experience. Which part of the Groves do you live in? Although I do have to say the sense of community at Northpark was pretty strong but I think that develops over time. And the denser the community probably the better for that. Wonder how the "sense of community" in Shady Canyon is?

Saviero. To be fair I spend my time between both coasts so I am not myself very "neighborly". Also my initial experience got a bit tainted after a neighbor decided to extend the wall between our properties and suggested we pay for half of it. No kids yet so that plays a part in not getting immersed in the neighborhood. In the past most of the friends we made were from doggy meetups.

Jonah said:
Good sense of community in Orchard Hills.  Kids play together in the street or at neighbor's houses, people chat when out walking, I arrange to meet neighbors at the pool and socialize with some outside of the neighborhood too.

Seems like you need to specify whether this is gated or non-gated OH.

#LifeIsDifferentBehindTheGates

:)

acpme said:
Paris said:
acpme said:

Saviero. To be fair I spend my time between both coasts so I am not myself very "neighborly". Also my initial experience got a bit tainted after a neighbor decided to extend the wall between our properties and suggested we pay for half of it. No kids yet so that plays a part in not getting immersed in the neighborhood. In the past most of the friends we made were from doggy meetups.

Oh I hope you didn't pony up to that. If they want to extend the wall they should pay for it. That would leave a bitter taste in my mouth too

Happiness said:
Isn't it pretty common where neighbors share the cost of building a wall on their property line?

Depends. In my family home I remember when when the wood fence between our and the neighbor's backyard kept falling down from SA winds. The respective dad's would keep fixing it but finally our neighbors decided to build a cinderblock wall and asked if we would split the cost. We agreed.

In this case, our neighbor wants to extend the wall in the front yard which is purely a cosmetic choice as part of their landscaping design.

Happiness said:
Isn't it pretty common where neighbors share the cost of building a wall on their property line?

Not if the neighbors disagree on length, height, style, etc.  Then it's a race as to whom can build their preferred wall first.

WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:

Not if the neighbors disagree on length, height, style, etc.  Then it's a race as to whom can build their preferred wall first.

Is the wall straddling the property line?  When neighbors completely disagree I've seen people build whatever the hell they want but wholly on their own property.

acpme said:
In this case, our neighbor wants to extend the wall in the front yard which is purely a cosmetic choice as part of their landscaping design.
So did the neighbor go ahead and build the wall?  What does it look like?

Happiness said:
acpme said:

They didn't. This is not our property but this is a similar example. The red line is what they would have built. They have a horizontal stone wall as part of the landscaping like in this example, except it would wrap back around to the house.

Instead they just left it open to our property line, similar to the houses in the pic. So not actually a wall, but really more feature of their hardscaping.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 339
acpme said:
Happiness said:
acpme said:

They didn't. This is not our property but this is a similar example. The red line is what they would have built. They have a horizontal stone wall as part of the landscaping like in this example, except it would wrap back around to the house.

Instead they just left it open to our property line, similar to the houses in the pic. So not actually a wall, but really more feature of their hardscaping.
So the "wall" is really just part of their front yard hardscape design.  Now I see why you didn't want to pay for it since it doesn't add anything to your yard.  They really should not have asked you to chip in.

Back