Seeking Irvine Home Advice!

thatOSguy said:
Pluto3D said:
I like NP too for reasons you've mentioned. But anything you don't like? Cons, whether real or perceived?

The community straddles the 261. Fortunately it is not heavily travelled -- in fact, looks worse on a map but in reality has fewer cars than say Irvine Blvd or Culver. The homes were built 1999-2003; many are in need of an upgrade. TUSD branding is still a factor despite the school quality trumping most of IUSD. No views. North of the 5, so warmer than the villages that are closer to the 405. Nexus more with TRanch than typical Irvine.

Outside of that, hard to find a lot of fault with NP.

How does Northwood compare to NP in terms of pros/cons (if any). We've taken a look at a few more places but haven't found something we really liked yet in terms of models but Northwood/NP both seemed like nice places to live.

Besides those, so far in looking at resales we liked Woodbury probably the most but haven't found something that we really liked at our budget (though we are more open to spending ~700k).

Northwood has a few pros:

1. No MRs.
2. Most neighborhoods are walkable to nearby schools.
3. Bigger lots
4. Low or no HOAs.
5. 3CWGs

The last one alone is all that is needed. :)

thatOSguy said:

Keep us posted on your search!

Thanks OS! Very helpful. I think I'll check out some of those places in NP. The price / size of those places are very ideal and while I haven't had a chance to walk around NP too much, I did like the feel when I was there a week or so ago.

The one issue we did encounter when looking at places so far in NP/NW was that we could not fall in love w/ any of the floor plans. We really really would like an open floor plan downstairs with the great room/kitchen and are willing to sacrifice other things (eg, bigger yard, more sq ft as a whole) for a more open downstairs.

Hopefully something turns out though :) ..  will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the very detailed post though!

For a $900k-$1m new house in Irvine with MRs, you could afford a resale (or Baker Ranch) house for $1m-$1.1m with no MRs.

Plus, depending on the condition of the house, you will spend less on renovations than upgrades on resale (just the backyard alone will put you back 5 figures if you are ZeroLot).

irvinehomeowner said:
For a $900k-$1m new house in Irvine with MRs, you could afford a resale (or Baker Ranch) house for $1m-$1.1m with no MRs.

Plus, depending on the condition of the house, you will spend less on renovations than upgrades on resale (just the backyard alone will put you back 5 figures if you are ZeroLot).

BR needs no MR as a selling point because the location is crap.  Most resales in Irvine have MR unless you buy a junker built in the 70's.  Comparing apples to apples you can't avoid MR.  Besides it keeps the riff raff out.

Back