Sedona

tmare_IHB

The whole family is spending the week after Christmas in Sedona. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or favorite places we should visit.

If you like day trips, Meteor Crater is one of those "bucket list" items we marked off on our way through Arizona.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Grand Canyon is definitely on the list, I hadn't heard of the Meteor Crater, so I'll look it up and maybe we'll check it out. Anymore ideas? It looks like we are driving with two small kids, our longest car trip ever. I think we're going to leave a day early and spend the night in the lovely town of Blythe so we can split the drive in half.

Have fun! My mother loved Sedona and she has some beautiful pictures from her trip. I'd like to take a trip there (and the Grand Canyon) soon.

My aunt and uncle live just a little ways down from Sedona. My cousin visits all the time, and might be there during xmas. I should put you in touch. My uncle is a total freakin nutter, everyone loves him.

Anyway, I dunno if your kids would be old enough to enjoy it yet, but they did this jeep tour out in the red rocks. They has a total blast and LOVED the scenery. I will try to get you a link if you think it is something of interest. I will also ask if there are things your family (kids that age) would enjoy.

[quote author="tmare" date=1258546984]The whole family is spending the week after Christmas in Sedona. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or favorite places we should visit.</blockquote>
Make sure to pack some warm clothing as it can get very cold in the dessert, especially at night.

[quote author="tmare" date=1258549934]Thanks for the suggestions. The Grand Canyon is definitely on the list, I hadn't heard of the Meteor Crater, so I'll look it up and maybe we'll check it out. Anymore ideas? It looks like we are driving with two small kids, our longest car trip ever. I think we're going to leave a day early and spend the night in the lovely town of Blythe so we can split the drive in half.</blockquote>

Meteor Crater is east of Flagstaff. Unless you are into big holes in the ground made by dumptruck-sized rocks, it's not really that exciting.

If I may... I'd suggest turning left at US-95 and keeping on till Lake Havasu... they have a London Bridge there and something far more entertaining than anything in Blythe... a dam! Also, you're looking at splitting the distance more evenly, as stopping in Blythe means you're in bed by 4:30 PM.

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Irvine,+CA&daddr=33.642063,-115.784912+to:Lake+Havasu,+AZ+to:Sedona,+AZ&geocode=FVnBAQIdeSn6-CnjQJFoDt3cgDE5mkpgdbV6pwFWwPDAIdh80x-Sknhu1xsYnRgDHEPtX4NH1KkAFewRFAIdoqlW-SkNsEL5MqEthzH9jmz6I8VIVQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=34.48641,-114.744335&sspn=3.630884,7.531128&ie=UTF8&z=8">A more scenic route</a>

I'll check out a different route but when it comes to long car rides with little kids, the faster the better. The original plan was to leave at about 6:00 pm, drive for 4 hours and crash at a cheap motel and then wake up in the morning and finish the drive.

Back