School Bus for Irvine Schools

Irvinehomeseeker

The newer neighborhoods of Irvine do not have school bus. So parents have to take time away during office hours for pickup. Car pooling is an option but I am really looking for a school bus option or a private service that can do pickups and drops off. Has anyone else felt the lack of school bus being very problematic with both working parents, especially with companies asking us to return to office?

I called IUSD and I was told except for the Turtle Rock area, all other school bus service operated by IUSD is for kids with special needs.

I wish the city does something about providing school bus.

I know someone using uber kid for their kid’s transportation from Quail Hill to University HS everyday.

Bunch of my son’s friends from Stonegate use carpooling to OCSA and private bus to Troy. You can try to hook up with people in your area.

why can't they walk or ride bikes? We don't have any school buses in SV except the aforementioned short bus.

I'd like to see the city take some action here to make biking safer.
What kind of bike accidents? Didn't you teach your kids the rules of the road when you taught them how to ride a bike? What a bunch of pansies. I walked 1 mile to school growing up in L.A. and later rode my bike. Our son walked and rode bikes roughly 1 mile from elementary through high school up here in SV. What kind of lily kids are you raising?

What kind of bike accidents? Didn't you teach your kids the rules of the road when you taught them how to ride a bike? What a bunch of pansies. I walked 1 mile to school growing up in L.A. and later rode my bike. Our son walked and rode bikes roughly 1 mile from elementary through high school up here in SV. What kind of lily kids are you raising?

I also rode my bike to school. I grew up a lot poorer than we are today.

But now that we're living in million dollar houses that we could not have contemplated before, I feel like we've solved for a lot of our material wants but for safety.

I'm not saying don't ride your bike. I think people should ride bikes. And I wish the city would take actions to make biking safer. When roads are designed, city engineers make a conscious choice to prioritize users of the infrastructure. The default has always been to increase car speeds, with ped/bike safety as an afterthought. It's great when I drive, not so great for the perception of bike safety.

I also rode my bike to school. I grew up a lot poorer than we are today.

But now that we're living in million dollar houses that we could not have contemplated before, I feel like we've solved for a lot of our material wants but for safety.

I'm not saying don't ride your bike. I think people should ride bikes. And I wish the city would take actions to make biking safer. When roads are designed, city engineers make a conscious choice to prioritize users of the infrastructure. The default has always been to increase car speeds, with ped/bike safety as an afterthought. It's great when I drive, not so great for the perception of bike safety.
That's ridiculous. There were no bike lanes when I grew up. You learned how to ride with traffic! I never even used a helmet and I rode all over Pasadena, Sierra Madre and Arcadia to pursue girls until I had access to a car. My brother grew up in Irvine and he walked/rode his bike everywhere until he had a car. Treating your kids like humpty dumpty just creates a fragile psyche, a roadmap to depression later in life.

Bunch of my son’s friends from Stonegate use carpooling to OCSA and private bus to Troy. You can try to hook up with people in your area.
But why commute from Irvine's world-renowned schools to Troy though? OCSA makes sense if you are interested in an arts career.

The newer neighborhoods of Irvine do not have school bus. So parents have to take time away during office hours for pickup. Car pooling is an option but I am really looking for a school bus option or a private service that can do pickups and drops off. Has anyone else felt the lack of school bus being very problematic with both working parents, especially with companies asking us to return to office?

I called IUSD and I was told except for the Turtle Rock area, all other school bus service operated by IUSD is for kids with special needs.

I wish the city does something about providing school bus.
There is something I am not getting here. Both parents have to take time out of their work day to drop off and pick up and you're saying these are parents that have returned to work? Who is watching the kids at home before and after school? If you had bus service, did you think it's door to door? Even back in the day when there WAS bus service it was only if your HOME school was a ways away. I lived in FV where the district had bus service but not for us because even though we had to cross Magnolia (I was in first grade!), the school was close enough to walk....... and walk I did, by myself every day to and from school, rain or shine. We did have a crossing guard but only for a certain time frame before/after school.

So what is the point? They will take longer to get home (buses have LOTS of stops on the way to your house) and then have to walk the rest of the way home. First time they miss getting off at their stop, are they going to know how to get home by foot? Yup.......... happens.

Back