SCE Transformer

dliberty

Hi,

We recently purchased a home in San Mateo III after a long and frustrating wait...
I just noticed on the site map that there is something labeled as "SCE Transformer" right next to our backyard (behind the wall, on the street level).
I was wondering if this is any reason of concern - noise / EMF radiation. How many houses do these transformers usually serve?

Thanks in advance!

From what I've been told these transformers make a humming noise. Depending on how far your set back is and which room is nearest, you shouldn't hear it.  They usually feed around 10-12 homes. 

H        O        M        E        R said:
From what I've been told these transformers make a humming noise. Depending on how far your set back is and which room is nearest, you shouldn't hear it.  They usually feed around 10-12 homes. 
Yup, you have to be right next to it to even hear it.  Here's a picture of one.

Attachments

• Transformer.jpg
    Transformer.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 539
irvinedreaming said:
Hi,

We recently purchased a home in San Mateo III after a long and frustrating wait...
I just noticed on the site map that there is something labeled as "SCE Transformer" right next to our backyard (behind the wall, on the street level).
I was wondering if this is any reason of concern - noise / EMF radiation. How many houses do these transformers usually serve?

Thanks in advance!

#irvinedreaming - I typed in the search engine: electric transformers health effects. As such, I came across a website relating to your question.
http://www.ehow.com/list_5901161_health-effects-power-lines-transformers.html#page=0

eyephone said:
irvinedreaming said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

#irvinedreaming - I typed in the search engine: electric transformers health effects. As such, I came across a website relating to your question.
http://www.ehow.com/list_5901161_health-effects-power-lines-transformers.html#page=0
That's multiple transformers with overhead powerlines.  That's comparing apples to oranges.

test said:
Pick another lot.
Yeah, not gonna happen at San Mateo as they have thousands of people on the waiting list.  Worst case, they can sell the home and make a nice profit. 

I grew up with one of those in my back yard and never experienced any problems.  I only recall it making a loud popping sound once in my 23 years of living there. 

From what I recall, my mom said that our yard was a big bigger due to this taking up a bit of space.  They rarely ever needed to service it, but they did put a sticker on it that requested you to keep plants X feet away.

@test - can't pick another lot, and even if I could the prices now are already above what I can afford. My only option at this point would be to cancel the purchase.

What worries me is the proximity of this thing to my home - it's back to back with my backyard and with the tiny lots in SM it's just a few feet away from the house...
I was driving around Stonegate today and noticed quite a few of those, so I guess they are more common than I thought.

I wouldnt worry about that thing in the least. Utility workers work near much greater sources of electromagnetic radiation and nobody has ever established a link between living or working near power lines/transformers and health issues.

irvinedreaming said:
@test - can't pick another lot, and even if I could the prices now are already above what I can afford. My only option at this point would be to cancel the purchase.

What worries me is the proximity of this thing to my home - it's back to back with my backyard and with the tiny lots in SM it's just a few feet away from the house...
I was driving around Stonegate today and noticed quite a few of those, so I guess they are more common than I thought.

Ask sales if you can swap this lot with another in an upcoming release.

Transformers are known to explode -http://laverne.edu/campus-times/2013/05/transformer-explosion-causes-evacuations-power-outages/

irvinedreaming said:

#irvinedreaming - How about putting your house on the market, after its built? I took a brief look at Redfin for houses sold: year built 2012, 6 months, irvine. There are many houses that were bought above asking and probably more than what they bought it for. Also, take a look at houses on the market, with criteria location irvine, and built 2012 +. There is a huge demand as people have money and don't want to wait to get a call months later by irvine co.

It all comes down to you. You can stay, walk away, or sell.

I don't think you have to worry.  Those are probably small low voltage transformers that dont emit high EMF.  It's the big ones that provide electricity to hundreads of household you have to worry about.

ps9 said:
If you see this anywhere on the SCE Transformer

Get another lot!  Otherwise don't worry..

lol! Thanks guys. I also went to see the construction site today and it looks like these are on every other row of houses, and since we preferred an end unit closer to the street our chances of getting a house without one of these seems slim.
Hopefully we won't experience any issues with it...

Back