Save the Memorial Park! Vote No on Measure B ballot June 5th

Jantoven said:
So if No for Measure B wins, does that mean the cemetery indeed gets built on Irvine Blvd, or is this just going to get kicked around indefinitely?

Next will be a vote to raise $80M in city tax to pay for clean up of the Irvine Blvd site to ?support the veterans? to make the cemetery happen. This will be used as a political wedge issue for Larry to get back into the city council. It?s a sad day for the veterans, who are just pawns in this game.

eatthis said:
Jantoven said:
So if No for Measure B wins, does that mean the cemetery indeed gets built on Irvine Blvd, or is this just going to get kicked around indefinitely?

Next will be a vote to raise $80M in city tax to pay for clean up of the Irvine Blvd site to ?support the veterans? to make the cemetery happen. This will be used as a political wedge issue for Larry to get back into the city council. It?s a sad day for the veterans, who are just pawns in this game.

And what if that city tax is voted down?  Voters typically vote against tax increases.

iacrenter said:
Looking razor close on measure D.

I'm seeing the same.  This baffles me.  Why would people vote to silence their voices?  It's so weird. 

Also did not expect the "No" on B to be in the lead.  TI had me convinced it was going to pass for sure.

Not sure if this was posted already, but results are here.  https://www.ocvote.com/fileadmin/live/pri2018/results.htm

Not final yet, but I assume they'll be updated at that site.

eatthis said:
Jantoven said:

$80M to do the clean up?  Can you share a source for that?  I was under the impression about $60M (or was it $80M?) was proposed to complete the cemetery, half coming from Fed + State and half coming from Irvine.

Jantoven said:

"No" means ARDA site stays owned by the city, zoned as previously zoned, not a cemetery and strawberry fields by the 5/405 stay zoned to 812,000 sqft of commercial space.

However, in the rebuttal argument to the "Yes" argument in the voter guide, Councilman Lalloway says he will immediately motion (or whatever the legal term is for when a council member formally proposes something) that the cemetery be built at the ARDA site if measure B does not pass. 

Jantoven said:
eatthis said:
Jantoven said:

And what if that city tax is voted down?  Voters typically vote against tax increases.

Psh, it'll be proposed as paid for with bonds or something.  *waives jedi hand* don't ask how bonds get repaid.  But in all seriousness, the city seemed ready to foot half the bill for the cemetery when it was proposed at the ARDA location, so it stands to reason they are still in a similar position.  The city government of Irvine is one of the most fiscally sound city governments in the nation, or so I've heard.

someguy said:
Jantoven said:

"No" means ARDA site stays owned by the city, zoned as previously zoned, not a cemetery and strawberry fields by the 5/405 stay zoned to 812,000 sqft of commercial space.

However, in the rebuttal argument to the "Yes" argument in the voter guide, Councilman Lalloway says he will immediately motion (or whatever the legal term is for when a council member formally proposes something) that the cemetery be built at the ARDA site if measure B does not pass.

Ah okay, cool.  I hope this leads to some kind of resolution. 

Jantoven said:
someguy said:
Jantoven said:

Ah okay, cool.  I hope this leads to some kind of resolution.

Ditto.  It'll be back in city council's hands.  I really hope we can get some awesome city council members in there with the next election to team up with guys like Lalloway.

someguy said:
Ditto.  It'll be back in city council's hands.  I really hope we can get some awesome city council members in there with the next election to team up with guys like Lalloway.

"It'll be back in city council's hands" doesn't really sound too reassuring though, either :p

Asides from Lalloway, any indication that others on the council would support the ARDA site?

You may not know your geography. There are chinese from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippine who don?t behave like the Chinese Nationals from The People Republic of China and my message does not include the fine Chinese Nationalists from the Republic of China who are excellent and respectful neighbors to have. They are the ones that make happy neighbors who are also buying new and resale homes.

Burn That Belly said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
You may not know your geography. There are chinese from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippine who don?t behave like the Chinese Nationals from The People Republic of China and my message does not include the fine Chinese Nationalists from the Republic of China who are excellent and respectful neighbors to have. They are the ones that make happy neighbors who are also buying new and resale homes.

Buddy- you're schooling the wrong person. I've been to four of the seven countries you just listed in the past 4 years and I got the passport stamps to prove it.
Talk is cheap - attached a screenshot of your passport to prove it then  ::)

This ?win? will more than likely delay cemetery construction. It will be interesting to see how the city council reponds. I predict major delays and lawsuits ahead.

Back