Save The Date For The Nov. 6 Village Grand Opening Of Stonegate East In Irvine

iphb said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
The location is a killer for Stonegate East.  Literally, you can walk from Sand Canyon to the Tollroad in less than a minute.  The noise is one thing, but the smog, soot, and dust will be endless.
I have a feeling that at least some homebuyers that jumped now into SGE will eventually wish they waited, once SG builds out with all the residences, parks and amenities with it.

Yes, that may very well be.  However, having seen the site plans for the 3 upcoming SG neighborhoods, I am not so sure if the SGE buyers will have buyer's remorse.  The original SG plan looked great with a pocket park w/pool in each neighborhood.  Now, there is no pocket park/pool, not even a common grass lawn of some type for the less expensive neighborhoods.  The only neighborhood in SG that's getting a park/pool is the high end (probably 900K - 1 mil plus) that will be build right by the school. 

The less expensive attached and detached condo products will be in a neighborhood that's packed, no driveways, no parks, no pool, just ugly and depressing...

I would have definitely put myself on the list to buy a place at SG if they kept the original site plan...

(see the thread on "2011 collection" for the original site plan and the new plans.)

kayochan said:
Yes, that may very well be.  However, having seen the site plans for the 3 upcoming SG neighborhoods, I am not so sure if the SGE buyers will have buyer's remorse.  The original SG plan looked great with a pocket park w/pool in each neighborhood.  Now, there is no pocket park/pool, not even a common grass lawn of some type for the less expensive neighborhoods.  The only neighborhood in SG that's getting a park/pool is the high end (probably 900K - 1 mil plus) that will be build right by the school. 

I didn't realize that SG is now going to be that limited in terms of amenities. In that case I think you're probably right. With no pools or parks in your new community, where's that $300+ HOA going to? :)

iphb said:
kayochan said:

I didn't realize that SG is now going to be that limited in terms of amenities. In that case I think you're probably right. With no pools or parks in your new community, where's that $300+ HOA going to? :)

Well, in the old site plan, they had a pool and pocket park/lawn area in each neighborhood.  They also had a sports area (soccor/baseball) and a great lawn next to the school in the middle of the SG community.  It looks like now, they won't have the pool/pocket park in each individual neighborhoods...so maybe they will have one pool in the middle next to the school.  But it still isn't as nice as the old site plan...

I find the demand for attached housing interesting.

Not that there is anything wrong with attached housing... just that there were so many of them in the 2010 Collection you would think that supply would outstrip demand by now.

Something to be said of Irvine company PR and marketing. Even during the 2010 collection, Lennar had La Casella open but it wasn't
officially part of 2010 group. I don't think they managed to sell out. because i keep seeing deals and 10K to wards upgrade etc etc
from them. Also for developments like prime rose in portola, I was told that the prices had to be dropped from the original value.
Some friends who had bought in the first phase actually had money returned back. Apparently also  going forward there is lots
of upgrades paid for by builder.

either it is good marketing creating demand by Irvine company or good SPIN creating more hype of buy now or never.

As far as Attached homes. I bought an attached home in the new home collection. Primarily because i was getting almost the same
thing as detached montecito 1, santa cruz 3, or coronado 3 for 190K, 175K, 80K less respectively. the only thing extra in montecito 1
is the drive way. but 190K more for driveway was too much. I do realize that some day when we need 3 parking spots for a 3rd car
we may have issues. But for now what we got does the job. I'm assuming that the extra i pay for HOA would someday even out
with certain maintenance cost (10-15 year later). May be maybe not.

jumpcut said:
I'm amazed at how tiny this village really is.  166 homes is about the same as WB's Esplanade alone I think, and just a bit more than SB.  I can't figure out why anyone would prefer living on a sliver of land between noisy Sand Canyon and the Toll Road, with IAC-type amenities and high HOA.  Their slogan should be "It's the IAC apartment you can own!"

jumpcut said:
I'm amazed at how tiny this village really is.  166 homes is about the same as WB's Esplanade alone I think, and just a bit more than SB.  I can't figure out why anyone would prefer living on a sliver of land between noisy Sand Canyon and the Toll Road, with IAC-type amenities and high HOA.  Their slogan should be "It's the IAC apartment you can own!"
Totally agree with Jumpcut, the location will become a big issue at the time of resale. In the coming years traffic on Irvine Blvd may be worse than Sand Canyon. When Toll road passes WE, it is below the ground. For SGE, the Toll road levels higher and creates more noise (plus the village is so small, not a single house can be buffered. The noise is also from high school next to it, especially when there is a special event like games.

But we have to admit TIC has been very successful in marketing these new homes. The floor plan is superior compared with 2010 NHC, plus Cali room included, a bigger yard for attached homes (much better than SB and Esplanade), wide hallway, nicely decorated model homes, and kids go to Northwood HS instead of Irvine HS, last but not least the pricing is a decisive factor for many to choose SGE over WB.

I hate to say this, but when the new home smell wears off and the future home owners try to sell their homes they'll get a cold slap of reality from many perspective buyers not even considering SGE.  I still can't believe they are gonna "jam" so many homes on just a tiny little piece of land.  But hey, TIC is the master of spin so I guess they'll all sell.

waitin4ever said:
Something to be said of Irvine company PR and marketing. Even during the 2010 collection, Lennar had La Casella open but it wasn't
officially part of 2010 group. I don't think they managed to sell out. because i keep seeing deals and 10K to wards upgrade etc etc
from them. Also for developments like prime rose in portola, I was told that the prices had to be dropped from the original value.
Some friends who had bought in the first phase actually had money returned back. Apparently also  going forward there is lots
of upgrades paid for by builder.

either it is good marketing creating demand by Irvine company or good SPIN creating more hype of buy now or never.

As far as Attached homes. I bought an attached home in the new home collection. Primarily because i was getting almost the same
thing as detached montecito 1, santa cruz 3, or coronado 3 for 190K, 175K, 80K less respectively. the only thing extra in montecito 1
is the drive way. but 190K more for driveway was too much. I do realize that some day when we need 3 parking spots for a 3rd car
we may have issues. But for now what we got does the job. I'm assuming that the extra i pay for HOA would someday even out
with certain maintenance cost (10-15 year later). May be maybe not.
Monterey's HOA is higher than other attached condos in WB, WE, SGE. But they did a super job for landscaping in their early phases, you do need funds to keep the community in a good shape.  Monterey is an attached townhouse, but you do get the feeling like single family home, Brookfield keeps the attached portion to the minimum. Plus it is rare to find 3 units in one lot for attached products in Irvine. No surprise this community was sold out so quickly. The sale ladies claim, people still come to put their names on the waiting list. It is a good sign for potential of the property value and future resale.

Starlight East said:
lcms2002 said:
The noise is also from high school next to it, especially when there is a special event like games.

On the plus side you could walk your kids to the high school. With all the savings on the mortgage compared to Woodbury, you could pay the tuition for the private high school.

Most of my friends who were looking forward to buying in SGE changed their minds after seeing the prices.  They balked at having to pay half a million on a small attached product.  Looks like they will be renting for longer.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I hate to say this, but when the new home smell wears off and the future home owners try to sell their homes they'll get a cold slap of reality from many perspective buyers not even considering SGE.  I still can't believe they are gonna "jam" so many homes on just a tiny little piece of land.  But hey, TIC is the master of spin so I guess they'll all sell.

This is partly why I'm not committing to buying in this area. That and also the availability of guest parking, or potential lack thereof. One thing I do like though about Los Altos and Capistrano are the private backyards. HOA in Los Altos is not bad, comparatively speaking, at around $265.

Back