Saratoga Upgrades

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
zubs said:
The 2 Korean brands are just a better value.  You get a lot of gadgets going with them.  For comparable fridges LG and Samsung have the best price, and they have nice LED lights on the front panel. 

Disclosure: I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator.

Regarding the kitchenaid fridge that is $2849.00 from the builder.  Here is a comparable.http://www.eliteappliance.com/KitchenAid/KFCS22EV.php

So it is cheaper from builder.

or not: 

http://www.wayfair.com/KitchenAid-Architect-Series-II-21.8-Cu.-Ft.-Counter-Depth-French-Door-Refrigerator-KFCS22EV-L881-K~KAD1836.html?refid=GX25509999660-KAD1836&device=c&gclid=CNeiifLBgLgCFUQ6Qgod2V8A2A
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Stainless-Steel-French-Refrigerator/dp/B001AIVW0I
None of those are a model match, you have to look for model #KFCS22EVMS, I could only find it at Best Buy and Lowes and both were above $3k.

I also have a KitchenAid that has been problem free but will either go LG or Samsung next time around (same thing for washer/dryer). Funny how perception of Korean products have changed... cars, phones and appliances.

?

Amazon:  Item model number: KFCS22EVMS

Also: 
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KFCS22EVMS.html
http://www.abt.com/product/36251/KitchenAid-KFCS22EVMS.html

$2178.00 direct from Whirlpool through the VIP link:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2198.0.html

Irvinecommuter said:
The Amazon one is sketchy, it lists a different model at the top.

I am looking for local stores for a fair match, ABT's website says that model is not available for CA.

Personally, I wouldn't buy large appliances from a non-local store because of possible servicing issues.

Regardless, the Design Center price is lower than local store prices and close to internet prices. But yes, that VIP link blows them away.

The big reason I wouldn't buy from the Design Center is what Irvinecommuter mentioned earlier, lack of choice. Unless there are more models that TIC gives you than just the KitchenAid and Whirlpool.

broda said:
I chalk this up to some people aren't good at shopping deals and some are fixated on specific brands that call out to them.

I got my Samsung Counter Depth fridge for 2200 from Lowes after price match and 10% movers discount.  Did I work for it a bit?  Definitely.  But I paid about 3300 for washer, dryer and fridge delivered.  I got all Samsung products which got good to decent reviews. 

No complaints so far except that counter depth fridges have no room.  But it's the price you pay to have your fridge not sticking out 13 inches outside of your counter.

I got my Fridge, Washer, and Dryer for about the same price as you ($3,100) from Lowes, using the following discounts. 

1) 10% Lowes movers discount
2) 5% Lowes Credit Card Discount
3) May is Maytag Month Mail-In Rebate ($250)
4) Lowes Gift Card Mail-In Rebate ($600)
5) So Cal Watersmart Rebate ($285)

If you spend some time to shop around, I'm sure you can get a better deal.

broda said:
I chalk this up to some people aren't good at shopping deals and some are fixated on specific brands that call out to them.

I got my Samsung Counter Depth fridge for 2200 from Lowes after price match and 10% movers discount.  Did I work for it a bit?  Definitely.  But I paid about 3300 for washer, dryer and fridge delivered.  I got all Samsung products which got good to decent reviews. 

No complaints so far except that counter depth fridges have no room.  But it's the price you pay to have your fridge not sticking out 13 inches outside of your counter.

Which samsung model u get? I got the counter depth Samsung recently, RF24FSEDBSR
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung---23.5-Cu.-Ft.-Counter-Depth-4-Door-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Thru-the-Door-Ice-and-Water/8391062.p?id=1218874431179&skuId=8391062

Got it for $2699 before ~10%-15% discount from credit card offer, at Home depot. Lowes didn't carry this model so can't use the mover coupon...

Irvine_RC said:
broda said:

I got my Fridge, Washer, and Dryer for about the same price as you ($3,100) from Lowes, using the following discounts. 

If you spend some time to shop around, I'm sure you can get just as good of a deal, if not better.

I just got my Washer and dryer too and those model (or any new models now) qualifies for the $285 rebate from irvine district. The issue is I'm not their customer yet as I move to Irvine by mid next month. Do I still qualify for that rebate?

borca said:
broda said:

Which samsung model u get? I got the counter depth Samsung recently, RF24FSEDBSR
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung---23.5-Cu.-Ft.-Counter-Depth-4-Door-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Thru-the-Door-Ice-and-Water/8391062.p?id=1218874431179&skuId=8391062

Got it for $2699 before ~10%-15% discount from credit card offer, at Home depot. Lowes didn't carry this model so can't use the mover coupon...

This is the model that I got (http://www.lowes.com/pd_22748-149-RFG238AARS_0__?productId=3085859&cm_mmc=search_google-_-Appliances_RTC-_-Samsung_RFG238AARS-_-samsung%20rfg238aars). 

Apparently they are no longer offering it at Lowes, but Samsung.com has it listed for $3,299, and my price was just a little under $2,000 (http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RFG238AARS/XAA)

Irvine_RC said:
borca said:
broda said:

This is the model that I got (http://www.lowes.com/pd_22748-149-RFG238AARS_0__?productId=3085859&cm_mmc=search_google-_-Appliances_RTC-_-Samsung_RFG238AARS-_-samsung%20rfg238aars). 

Apparently they are no longer offering it at Lowes, but Samsung.com has it listed for $3,299, and my price was just a little under $2,000 (http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RFG238AARS/XAA)

OIC, that's a nice one! I actually like 3 doors more as it's less complicated. But the one I got, with 4 doors, has a smaller ice maker insider, and a bit bigger (currently the biggest counter depth french door by samsung, by a small margin). As you noted, the counter depth are just tiny especially for the price! If size (exterior) is not an issue I would have got those 31 cu ft ones especially the newest one with sodastream.

I spent an hour in the model home trying to convince myself having 13 inchs (vs 5 inchs for counter-depth) of fridge sticking out is OK... but I failed. It just looks ugly as it's in the middle of my kitchen so I have real issue of running into it when I maneuver inside the kitchen. If it's on the side then it's probably less of an issue.

For anyone interested, we got the LG French door fridge with the door-in-door feature, which we really like:http://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LFX31945ST-french-3-door-refrigerator

large01(test%20image).jpg

Aside from the apparently faulty first one we got, we love this one. The ice maker is in the door, the whole thing is silent (our old fridge always made noises), it's super bright, it has that door-in-door feature, and of course it has tons of space.

It does lack things I really liked about my old fridge. Example: the old one had a nice LCD screen that always displayed useful info like how many ounces of water you were pouring. The LG has no display at all, just a bunch of lighted buttons (well, except for the temperature).

borca said:
Irvine_RC said:
broda said:

If you spend some time to shop around, I'm sure you can get just as good of a deal, if not better.

I just got my Washer and dryer too and those model (or any new models now) qualifies for the $285 rebate from irvine district. The issue is I'm not their customer yet as I move to Irvine by mid next month. Do I still qualify for that rebate?

I'm not an expert on this, but the fine print on the So Cal Watersmart website (http://www.socalwatersmart.com/index.php/home/?p=res) does not specify how long you have to apply your rebate.  The only requirement is that you submit your "supporting documents" within 60 days of applying for the actual rebate itself.

If I were you, I wait until I get my 1st water bill from Irvine Ranch Water District before going on the website to complete your rebate application/submission.

Good luck.

I moved in April and got my first water bill a couple of weeks ago. You milk the 1 month of free utilities IP gives you a.k.a. the transition period to switch over and then start your service.  I just submitted my water smart rebate last week.

Irvine_RC said:

Cool, didn't know about this rebate, will come in handy as we're looking for HE washers. Thanks!

Did you not do the $35-$75 SCE rebate for the energy star fridge?
www.sce.com/RebatesandSavings/?
"Buy an ENERGY STAR? qualified refrigerator and get a $35 rebate. More efficient models may qualify for up to $75 in rebates"

Some stores will give to you the instant rebate when you purchase in-store but if you order on-line (like we did w/ HD) you need to file yourself on-line at SCE.

I know now that Korean brands provide more for less money.  But how is the quality?  How long have you used your frig or washer/dryer while you've been happy with them?  The good-old american appliances used to stand for many years trouble free.  I dare not say the same to the american brands nowadays.

songkou said:
I know now that Korean brands provide more for less money.  But how is the quality?  How long have you used your frig or washer/dryer while you've been happy with them?  The good-old american appliances used to stand for many years trouble free.  I dare not say the same to the american brands nowadays.

The few rankings I found while doing my refrigerator research all had Samsung and LG at the top of the list for best brands, so it would seem they're pretty quality and reliable nowadays.

PenguinOrange said:
Irvine_RC said:

Cool, didn't know about this rebate, will come in handy as we're looking for HE washers. Thanks!

"Buy an ENERGY STAR? qualified refrigerator and get a $35 rebate. More efficient models may qualify for up to $75 in rebates"

Some stores will give to you the instant rebate when you purchase in-store but if you order on-line (like we did w/ HD) you need to file yourself on-line at SCE.

Hi Penguin,

Thanks for the info.  I was already aware of this rebate, but the rebate form clearly states, in bold letters up on top, that new construction homes does not qualify.  I'm not sure if I can make a convincing argument that since I did not buy the fridge from the builder, the installation is no longer in a "new construction"?  Either way, my decision was to pass on the $35 rebate due to the uncertainty.
https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect...dc/100101_2010_HEERProgramApp.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Irvine_RC said:
PenguinOrange said:
Irvine_RC said:

Hi Penguin,

Thanks for the info.  I was already aware of this rebate, but the rebate form clearly states, in bold letters up on top, that new construction homes does not qualify.  I'm not sure if I can make a convincing argument that since I did not buy the fridge from the builder, the installation is no longer in a "new construction"?  Either way, my decision was to pass on the $35 rebate due to the uncertainty.
https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect...dc/100101_2010_HEERProgramApp.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Interesting. When I bought from Home Depot they applied the rebate no questions asked about the home. Perhaps they also don't know (or care) about that restriction.

Irvine_RC said:
PenguinOrange said:
Irvine_RC said:

Hi Penguin,

Huh, guess we skipped over that part! :p

We'll find out if we get the credit or not :).

Happy w/ the Samsung fridge seems solid and holding temps good. The quality of the American brands are not the same as before so at worst the quality level is same all around.

I just purchase with a good credit card that auto extends the warranty for some further piece of mind.

lucky said:
Yes, that $285 was a nice surprise! No one else seems to have mentioned it, but the guys who delivered our washer yesterday told us there's also $85 in rebates available from the Gas company for Energy Star and high-efficiency washers:http://www.socalgas.com/for-your-home/rebates/application/index.shtml

:-*

WOW.... another rebate.... I think I qualify for this one. 

In fact, I found my builder installed dishwasher on that list as well, so I applied for that rebate as well.  I just e-mailed them a copy of my design center options list in lieu of a receipt.

I'm just little more than two months away from (estimated) closing.  Now I'm constantly thinking about when to start working on loan, home insurance, and upgrades and worry if it's too early, or too late to do them.  I wanted to start loan process as soon as possible because of rising interest rate but was told it's still too early.

I'm curious about when should you start contacting people for the upgrades like window covering and flooring that you opted-out from builder and want to do it through third-party contractors?  From your experiences, what's process?  for each upgrade, how many time do you have to meet with the person before real action?  What's the time needed from getting a estimate/quote from contractor and actually get them work on it, and how long does it take for them to finish the work?

songkou said:
I'm just little more than two months away from (estimated) closing.  Now I'm constantly thinking about when to start working on loan, home insurance, and upgrades and worry if it's too early, or too late to do them.  I wanted to start loan process as soon as possible because of rising interest rate but was told it's still too early.

I'm curious about when should you start contacting people for the upgrades like window covering and flooring that you opted-out from builder and want to do it through third-party contractors?  From your experiences, what's process?  for each upgrade, how many time do you have to meet with the person before real action?  What's the time needed from getting a estimate/quote from contractor and actually get them work on it, and how long does it take for them to finish the work?

I started the loan process 2.5 months before close and it was a nightmare to say the least.  Lessons learned about using the builders, IP in this case.  They were asking for documents even at the day of closing because they forgot they needed it.  I ended up closing 2 days late, but no penalties since it's the builders lender.

Insurance the lender is suppose to tell you when you need to have this...sooner the better so you can research the correct policy you want with the right options for you.  Most good agents will work with your lender to get the necessary paper work in.

Upgrades I scheduled that 3-4 weeks prior to closing and the vendors that have been working on all the new builds understand things can change with closing so they are flexible on work dates within reason.

I tried to schedule everything the week of close, so I could have vendors in the house with none of my personal belongings in there.

Back