Saratoga Upgrades

jilala

Hi all,

We recently moved to Irvine from San Diego and purchased a Saratoga Plan 2. IPC offered an option of a built in tech/desk area on the 2nd floor for $2700. We liked the idea, but thought it might be too expensive. Does anyone know whether it would generally be cheaper to bring in 3rd party contractors for built in carpentry like that?

Another option we are contemplating is the frameless shower enclosure for the master bathroom. The upgrade costs $1300. Is it also cheaper to have it done later?

Thanks for your help.

My personal opinion on the desk is that you can build something for cheaper.  You can build a custom from ikea if you buy the table tops and put in some legs and wall mounts. 

If I remember correctly the frameless shower was close to the same price as the builder. 

i don't know the floorplan or how big the desk is, but seems a little overpriced for plank of wood and some drawers (i'm assuming it has drawers or doors)...but if you're upgrading your cabinets to a different color, it might be harder to match that if you want add a desk later, if thats what you want...also, how much work are you planning on doing after you close? if you're already gonna be changing out the floors, painting, and other odds and end that were ridiculously overpriced at IP, then it might be more to your advantage to add the desk later b/c you'd have additional savings probably if you found a contractor type who did all that work

Thanks for the replies, guys. We definitely don't want to pay property tax and mello roos over these overpriced upgrades if we have a choice.

if its just property tax and melo roos that are holding you back, even if you went with both of those upgrades you're looking at $6 a year, which is roughly equal the pocket coins you accumulates in your car cupholder every couple of months. 

thedude111222 said:
if its just property tax and melo roos that are holding you back, even if you went with both of those upgrades you're looking at $6 a year, which is roughly equal the pocket coins you accumulates in your car cupholder every couple of months.

that's a good point, and beyond that, aren't the appraisals coming out on the low side anyway?  That's what your taxed on right?  That's what i remember reading.

irvineshadow said:
thedude111222 said:

that's a good point, and beyond that, aren't the appraisals coming out on the low side anyway?  That's what your taxed on right?  That's what i remember reading.
For a new home, your tax basis is the sales price of the home (for the first year). 

IP_SAR_P2_F2_Tech.jpeg

picture of the tech space

Woodburyowner: That's a good point about Mello Roos.

Broda: Thanks for your picture of the tech space.

If its gonna get used a lot, maybe even by kids, then it will get beat up. Replacing a 2700 built in is a tough pill to swallow. I've seen some cool things on ikea hackers for built in an even floating desks that could fill that space nicely for a couple hundred bucks. Beat it up then replace it and you won't feel nearly as bad.

I also wish I could get that installed in my Saratoga home, but it's far, far too costly.

Thanks to thedude111222 for mentioning IKEA Hackers. I've never heard of that site and it seems really awesome. I always knew there had to be some inexpensive way to build your own custom furniture. :)

Has anyone looked into the costs of upgrading the kitchen cabinets? Also what are some of the differences between the standard and upgraded appliances? Thanks!

Evensteven said:
Has anyone looked into the costs of upgrading the kitchen cabinets? Also what are some of the differences between the standard and upgraded appliances? Thanks!

I suppose you mean upgrading through the builder.  The lowest cost of kitchen cabinet upgrade is $417 for replacing the kitchen cabinet doors with raised thermofoil.  The next option up is $1,519 for replacing the kitchen cabinet doors with real wood "Maple Shaker".  I'm talking about Saratoga Plan 1.

Wow, my first TI post.

Evensteven said:

The cost is pretty minimal but limited selection.  You can compare the upgrades with the standard in the model homes.  One of them have the standard and the other have the upgrade.  The most expensive upgrade ($9000) has a dictated high BTU burner and the oven is below the range.

Back