Saratoga Landscaping - Approved Plans - Work Underway

lucky760

Just thought I'd start a new consolidated thread for this discussion since previous discussions about my landscaping are spread out across other threads.

First, about our landscaper: If you're still looking for a landscaper, please see my recommendation for the great guy we chose here:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3876.msg59869.html#msg59869

About our plans: Here's the original image I drew to illustrate the features we had in mind:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3876.msg59869.html#msg59869

As soon as we got the keys to our new home on the day we closed escrow, I headed straight to the HOA office to submit our official plans because we wanted to get our landscaping done asap. About 10 days later we got the plans back in the mail because I forgot to include photos of the existing (dirt) yard and our landscaper's signature needed to be on the plans. After that it took another 3-4 frustrating weeks to finally get approval. (So word of advice: Be sure not to overlook including all the required items for submission.)

We finally got our plans back approved. (The approval came with conditions, but they were pretty straightforward.) Per @Irvine_Dreamer's request our approved plan is attached. It's kind of hard to tell with all the lines in the drawing, but after the curve of the seat wall in the corners, the wall continues downward for 2 feet then stops.

At the end of last week, they started trenching to install piping for electrical lines and drains. This morning they are starting on all of the heavy-duty work, installing the flagstone into our California room and building our seat wall, among other things.

One of the impressive things about our landscaper is the size of his crew. Every other landscape job we've seen has had a typical crew of 2 guys and a maximum of 3, but our guy is using 6 or 7 so the whole job will take maybe 7-10 days instead of 14-21 days.

Will update this thread as the work evolves, and I plan to include photos of the progress.

If you've had your work done or are having it done, please do include photos of your yard and which community you're in. I'm quite curious to see how everyone's landscaping is turning out.

Attachments

• approved-plan-cropped.jpg
    approved-plan-cropped.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 892
Thanks for the recommendation Lucky. I just met with John today to discuss the design of my backyard. He was a really easy guy to talk to, seemed to know allot, and has many years of experience. I hope his quote doesn't come in too high because I would really like to work with him. This is what he's quoting me on. The large tan area is either going to be flagstone or brick pavers depending on price. 

Attachments

• BYDesign.jpg
    BYDesign.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 731
This is starting to get juicy.  Keep all these landscape plans/diagrams coming so I can steal some ideas for my small landscape in the near future.

Hat off to lucky and JasonTheArtist.

Jasontheartist - i would recommend that you just rune your stone/pavers around the AC unit as well. any greenery on your sideyard will probably die anyway since you wont get much sun. then it allows you to use the side yard for storage if necessary.  and depending on how much you water it will likely always be moist which will likely result in moss.

Thanks @JasonTheArtist for the diagram. Great looking stuff! I hope to see more from other members! And @songkou, I hope you'll come back and share down the line once you've gotten your work started. : )

After our first day of big work, a lot was done. Most of the flagstone for our California room has been cut, and the core of the seat wall has been constructed. See photos below.

Next the rest of the flagstone will be cut and it will all be set on the concrete, and the seat wall cap will be cast in-place on top of the wall with concrete. Exciting!  :)

yVk4oIR.png

74P6F1O.png

5yyPEtQ.png

JasonTheArtist said:
Thanks for the recommendation Lucky. I just met with John today to discuss the design of my backyard. He was a really easy guy to talk to, seemed to know allot, and has many years of experience. I hope his quote doesn't come in too high because I would really like to work with him. This is what he's quoting me on. The large tan area is either going to be flagstone or brick pavers depending on price.
The design looks nice.

lucky said:
Thanks @JasonTheArtist for the diagram. Great looking stuff! I hope to see more from other members! And @songkou, I hope you'll come back and share down the line once you've gotten your work started. : )

After our first day of big work, a lot was done. Most of the flagstone for our California room has been cut, and the core of the seat wall has been constructed. See photos below.

Next the rest of the flagstone will be cut and it will all be set on the concrete, and the seat wall cap will be cast in-place on top of the wall with concrete. Exciting!  :)

yVk4oIR.png

74P6F1O.png

5yyPEtQ.png

When are they planning to wrap up the project - lucky.

@eyephone - They don't have a firm timeline. The landscaper, John, has a sort of loose philosophy about how quickly work gets done. Effectively he's said some parts of the job can really burn his guys out and he doesn't want them to be overworked (and make mistakes), so it's sort of a play-it-by-ear situation.

He does think we'll be pretty much done with hardscaping and working just on landscaping next week. At this point it seems we'll be done by maybe early-to-mid next week I'd guess.

lucky said:
@eyephone - They don't have a firm timeline. The landscaper, John, has a sort of loose philosophy about how quickly work gets done. Effectively he's said some parts of the job can really burn his guys out and he doesn't want them to be overworked (and make mistakes), so it's sort of a play-it-by-ear situation.

He does think we'll be pretty much done with hardscaping and working just on landscaping next week. At this point it seems we'll be done by maybe early-to-mid next week I'd guess.
So I saw your previous post regarding the price of the landscaping. Is there room for negotiatons or is that price firm?

@eyephone - He doesn't seem to inflate his prices "too" much, but I think it's always a safe bet to try and negotiate. For our situation, because we changed the plans so much and so many times, I didn't really try to wiggle too much until I was ready to tell him we'd go to contract with him. At that point, I told him we'd sign with him if he'd be willing to do the job for X dollars, which wasn't too much lower than he was asking for, and he agreed. The good thing is he breaks price down item-by-item, so there's no mystery about what you're paying for.

@stromung - HOA reports that the fountain must be 2' from the wall. JasonTheArtist's plan looks like it was drawn on paper with pencil then colored in with markers using a software package called By Hand. ;-p

@irvinehomeowner - Not sure if you mean my drawing or JasonTheArtist's, but mine is pretty close to the example plans they provide in the submission materials. I imagine they'd probably accept both. The measurements depicted are pretty close to exact because the drawing is to scale (1/8" = 1').

JasonTheArtist said:
This is what he's quoting me on. The large tan area is either going to be flagstone or brick pavers depending on price.

The cost of flagstone will likely be about double the price of pavers, depending on which pavers you're after, of course. Do you have a particular paver in mind?

qwerty said:
Jasontheartist - i would recommend that you just rune your stone/pavers around the AC unit as well. any greenery on your sideyard will probably die anyway since you wont get much sun. then it allows you to use the side yard for storage if necessary.  and depending on how much you water it will likely always be moist which will likely result in moss.

I am aware of this. The grass will actually be fake turf and the plants along the house will be low light plants.

JasonTheArtist said:
lucky said:
Do you have a particular paver in mind?

I don't. Do you have any recommendations?

If you'd like more of a cobble/brick look, the Orco Antique Cobble is pretty nice and is rustic and "old-worldy." This was our first choice:
Photo_140.jpg

What we decided on instead was the Orco Villa which has bricks of 5 different sizes for a much different aesthetic and wasn't too much more per square foot:
product_large_1272299788_10.6OrcoSandstoneB15RandomAll5shapes.jpg

Since every other yard we've seen in Stonegate has more of a standard brick, including two of our neighbors who just completed theirs, we were hoping to have something a bit different. But besides that, we just really like the more complex look of the bricks with lots of variability in size.

Back