Santa Cruz (Woodbury East) Experience w/ pics!

You know what I don't understand? The sales people say it's a detached condo, but you only have one HOA, the Woodbury East Community Association. Where is the condo assoc?

[quote author="ajw522"]You know what I don't understand? The sales people say it's a detached condo, but you only have one HOA, the Woodbury East Community Association. Where is the condo assoc?[/quote]

No landscape behind the sidewalk to maintain so no need for the extra HOA. the Calpac detached condos have the landscape area in the paseos and other outside common area.

Santa Cruz is developed to the max by leaving no common area to maintain.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="ajw522"]You know what I don't understand? The sales people say it's a detached condo, but you only have one HOA, the Woodbury East Community Association. Where is the condo assoc?[/quote]

No landscape behind the sidewalk to maintain so no need for the extra HOA. the Calpac detached condos have the landscape area in the paseos and other outside common area.

Santa Cruz is developed to the max by leaving no common area to maintain.[/quote]

I see - well, in that case, why can't the home be a SFR? I know you said if before, but I don't quite understand.

If there is only one set of HOAs and the size of land is similar to other legitimate SFR's, then what is the detriment of having detached condo vs. SFR? Is it just the resale value? The stigma?

In order for them to be totally single family detached homes they must be 10' apart and no shared easements. Sharing a motorcourt is a form of sharing an easement. All utility lines are buried below the street. Homes buried in the motorcourt can't connect their utility lines directly to the street. An utility extension line from the street is routed in and buried below the motorcourt easement for feeding the units.

Due to the common area easement they are legally detached condo. Trust me TIC has already tried to make them SFD to sell for more $$$$.

By zoning all SFD must be 10' apart. Homes packed in motorcourts with tight sideyards that don't add up to 10' apart are detached condos

When utility lines are connected to lines buried beneath the public street and you can walk around your home then the homes are SFD such as Sonama and Carmel.

Homes that share a common area for accessing the front door and garage are detached condos. Common area are paseos and motorcourts.

One of my friends just bought Santa Cruz and her lot isn't on a motorcourt, but rather at the end of a cul de sac; her garage and door face the street. I think she paid a 9K premium to have this lot.

[quote author="graceomalley"]In order for them to be totally single family detached homes they must be 10' apart and no shared easements. Sharing a motorcourt is a form of sharing an easement. All utility lines are buried below the street. Homes buried in the motorcourt can't connect their utility lines directly to the street. An utility extension line from the street is routed in and buried below the motorcourt easement for feeding the units.

Due to the common area easement they are legally detached condo. Trust me TIC has already tried to make them SFD to sell for more $$$$.

By zoning all SFD must be 10' apart. Homes packed in motorcourts with tight sideyards that don't add up to 10' apart are detached condos

When utility lines are connected to lines buried beneath the public street and you can walk around your home then the homes are SFD such as Sonama and Carmel.[/quote]
Then how do you classify Sonoma?

The Plans 1/2 have a zero lot line on one side where your yard wall is actually the side of their house.

I see this a lot in Woodbridge homes too.

Grace, what you say does not make sense. Are you saying that Montecito is a detached Condo? It's not, the documents clearly state that Montecito is Single Family Detached Home, NOT a detached condo. But, it does have a motorcourt, or a *utility easement* - the side yards are usually 5.17' for one side, adding up to around 10.34', so in that criteria, its a SFD.

Plus, what do you mean by "you can walk around your home?" I know you can "walk around" StoneTree Manor, and they are detached condos. (when you say walk around, do you mean is it possible at all, or does there have to be gates there)

you can't walk around Stonetree, it is what is consider a zero-lot line; it is a detached unit, but one side of your house serves as a wall for your neighbor's side patio. Therefore if you want to walk around your unit, you have to go into your neighbors property; therefore you "can't" walk around your unit... right BK?

[quote author="roundcorners"]you can't walk around Stonetree, it is what is consider a zero-lot line; it is a detached unit, but one side of your house serves as a wall for your neighbor's side patio. Therefore if you want to walk around your unit, you have to go into your neighbors property; therefore you "can't" walk around your unit... right BK?[/quote]

There are corner lots that have 2 side yards. One on each side. So you can walk around them, but this is still a detached condo.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]In order for them to be totally single family detached homes they must be 10' apart and no shared easements. Sharing a motorcourt is a form of sharing an easement. All utility lines are buried below the street. Homes buried in the motorcourt can't connect their utility lines directly to the street. An utility extension line from the street is routed in and buried below the motorcourt easement for feeding the units.

When utility lines are connected to lines buried beneath the public street and you can walk around your home then the homes are SFD such as Sonama and Carmel.[/quote]
Then how do you classify Sonoma?

The Plans 1/2 have a zero lot line on one side where your yard wall is actually the side of their house.

I see this a lot in Woodbridge homes too.[/quote]

SFD with a granted easement for repair.

[quote author="roundcorners"]you can't walk around Stonetree, it is what is consider a zero-lot line; it is a detached unit, but one side of your house serves as a wall for your neighbor's side patio. Therefore if you want to walk around your unit, you have to go into your neighbors property; therefore you "can't" walk around your unit... right BK?[/quote]

Correct

[quote author="ajw522"]

There are corner lots that have 2 side yards. One on each side. So you can walk around them, but this is still a detached condo.[/quote]

When a project is processed as detached condo then every home in the project is a detached condo even when one or two has the luxury of more land or special attributes similar to detached homes. The RE attorney would not write another custom disclosure documents for just 2 houses. .

[quote author="ajw522"]Grace, what you say does not make sense. Are you saying that Montecito is a detached Condo? It's not, the documents clearly state that Montecito is Single Family Detached Home, NOT a detached condo. But, it does have a motorcourt, or a *utility easement* - the side yards are usually 5.17' for one side, adding up to around 10.34', so in that criteria, its a SFD.[/quote]

What about this part ???

[quote author="ajw522"]Grace, what you say does not make sense. Are you saying that Montecito is a detached Condo? It's not, the documents clearly state that Montecito is Single Family Detached Home, NOT a detached condo. But, it does have a motorcourt, or a *utility easement* - the side yards are usually 5.17' for one side, adding up to around 10.34', so in that criteria, its a SFD.

Plus, what do you mean by "you can walk around your home?" I know you can "walk around" StoneTree Manor, and they are detached condos. (when you say walk around, do you mean is it possible at all, or does there have to be gates there)[/quote]

A single family detached home must be able to accomodate 1 guest parking on the premise (driveway) where detached condos have zero guest parking capacity having to rely on shared street parkings which triggered the detached condo zoning application to get the project approved.

montecito may have been approved under a technicality that the motorcourt is considered as "a dead end street". Since it is not a private drive then the utility easement issue goes away being under a public street.

Why wouldn't all motorcourt be processed as public street? Public street has different engineering criteria where the garages must be further apart helped in the case of Montecito's driveway.

Developer can't afford a higher trip count calculation for houses loading off the public street unless the project does not generate more traffic in the community of Woodbury. The location is ideal because it is very close to the exit of Woodbury and no significant traffic impact to the community.

This is certainly a special case scenario and a win win solution for TIC because the SFD perception is worth 15% $$ more than detached condos.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="ajw522"]Grace, what you say does not make sense. Are you saying that Montecito is a detached Condo? It's not, the documents clearly state that Montecito is Single Family Detached Home, NOT a detached condo. But, it does have a motorcourt, or a *utility easement* - the side yards are usually 5.17' for one side, adding up to around 10.34', so in that criteria, its a SFD.

Plus, what do you mean by "you can walk around your home?" I know you can "walk around" StoneTree Manor, and they are detached condos. (when you say walk around, do you mean is it possible at all, or does there have to be gates there)[/quote]

A single family detached home must be able to accomodate 1 guest parking on the premise (driveway) where detached condos have zero guest parking capacity having to rely on shared street parkings which triggered the detached condo zoning application to get the project approved.

montecito may have been approved under a technicality that the motorcourt is considered as "a dead end street". Since it is not a private drive then the utility easement issue goes away being under a public street.

Why wouldn't all motorcourt be processed as public street? Public street has different engineering criteria where the garages must be further apart helped in the case of Montecito's driveway.

Developer can't afford a higher trip count calculation for houses loading off the public street unless the project does not generate more traffic in the community of Woodbury. The location is ideal because it is very close to the exit of Woodbury and no significant traffic impact to the community.

This is certainly a special case scenario and a win win solution for TIC because the SFD perception is worth 15% $$ more than detached condos.[/quote]

Interesting! Then what about homes without driveways (like in WestPark). Are those still considered SFD or Condos? I have seem some on the MLS listed as SFD....

Back