San Diego's Mission Bay

almon_IHB

It's been my wish to find a beach condo, and I really like the Mission Bay area when driven through it last fall, but haven't visited it yet. Does anyone have experience or general thoughts about the area?

I also have some specific questions:

1- Which of these OC places do you think Mission Bay is most similar to: Huntington Beach, Balboa Peninsula or something else?

2- How safe is the area during the day and at night?

3- We have small children, so I would like to be able to get to the beach without crossing a major street like Grand Ave (I think we can deal with Mission Blvd where traffic is slower). Is there a big difference in atmosphere between south of Grand Ave and north of Grand Ave?

4- The inside beach area facing Vacation Island looks really neat, but was deserted on the day I was there. Are there any restrictions against using it?

5- Is there a lot of competition to find vacation renters? To cover the cost, we would have to rent out the place on monthly or weekly basis for at least half the year. Something like a 2-bedroom of 800-1000 square feet.

Anything related to the area or to the questions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Back