Sad event for all involved

Irvinecommuter

Three high school students from China were sentenced in Pomona court Wednesday morning for their roles in the kidnapping and assault of another Chinese teenager.

Under a plea deal reached with prosecutors last month, the students will receive prison terms ranging from six to 13 years. All three have been jailed since shortly after the March 2015 incident.

In a statement read to the judge by her attorney, Yang cautioned Chinese parents against sending their children alone to the U.S. at a young age.

?This is a wakeup call for the ?parachute kid syndrome,? ? Yang said in the statement. ?Parents in China are well-meaning and send their kids thousands of miles away with no supervision and too much freedom. That is a formula for disaster.?

Zhai also told the judge that living on her own in a foreign country played a role in her actions.

?They sent me to the U.S. for a better life and a fuller education,? Zhai said in a statement read by her attorney. ?Along with that came a lot of freedom, in fact too much freedom. ? Here, I became lonely and lost. I didn?t tell my parents because I didn?t want them to worry about me.?
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-parachute-kids-sentencing-20160217-story.html

Back