Ryland new build and warranty experience, especially Colibri

incognito

Hi all,

We are currently considering purchasing a new build in the Colibri neighborhood of Portola Springs by Ryland Homes. I was wondering if there was anyone on the forum that has recently purchased in Colibri (or other Ryland neighborhoods in Irvine even) that can share their experiences with working with Ryland as a builder, the quality of their home builds and the responsiveness of their customer support for warranty repairs?

I was wondering how the build experience went, the design studio experience, the quality of their construction, the closing process, the after move-in warranty experience has been with their customer service, etc.? Good, bad, average?

Thank you in advance for sharing.

P.S. I am familiar with the past article regarding the experience with the sales staff on opening day. But I haven't been able to find much information in the search around the builder's experience.

I worked for Ryland for 5 years (when they opened up their offices was in Corona and they primarily focused on developments in the IE). From my experience, they make good homes and fall inline with other national builders (Shea, Centex, StanPac, etc.). I still keep in touch with several people from Ryland, including the VP of Customer Service. Overall, a good company. I recently just bought a Shea home, but wouldn't have a problem buying a Ryland home. Hope that helps.

Also, I'm planning on walking around the Colibri neighborhood after work to see if I can run into some residents and chat with them on their experiences. Hopefully it's not all renters; or worst yet FCBs who might look at me funny for even trying to socialize with them.

incognito said:
Also, I'm planning on walking around the Colibri neighborhood after work to see if I can run into some residents and chat with them on their experiences. Hopefully it's not all renters; or worst yet FCBs who might look at me funny for even trying to socialize with them.

Try to get a good lot.  The one I was looking at, which they had a hard time selling, was at the end of the motorcourt.  very very tight and you're literally in the other persons driveway when backing out. 

jmoney74 said:
Try to get a good lot.  The one I was looking at, which they had a hard time selling, was at the end of the motorcourt.  very very tight and you're literally in the other persons driveway when backing out.

These units all have 'driveways' in the motorcourt, but I agree that the end units don't have alot of space between the unit's driveway and the end. So you don't have alot of room to swing the car around while backing out. Would have to back straight back into the neighbor across from you. Whereas the front and middle units have more space when backing out.

But I'm sure the quality of the driveway concrete will be standard  ;)

Seems like Ryland have some issues in their builds on the east coast, but as with any builder the quality is tied to the local sub contractors they hire locally?

incognito said:
jmoney74 said:

These units all have 'driveways' in the motorcourt, but I agree that the end units don't have alot of space between the unit's driveway and the end. So you don't have alot of room to swing the car around while backing out. Would have to back straight back into the neighbor across from you. Whereas the front and middle units have more space when backing out.

But I'm sure the quality of the driveway concrete will be standard  ;)

Seems like Ryland have some issues in their builds on the east coast, but as with any builder the quality is tied to the local sub contractors they hire locally?

I have a family member that works in these builder litigation trials.  All the builders show up so it's always going to be about their subcontractors. 

Went walking around in the neighborhood last night and didn't have much luck bumping into home owners in the Colibri builds chat up (did bump into a couple from Agave to chat about the neighborhood in general though). Seems like there are a few for lease from FCB/investors. Also, many of the completed units from the previous phases looks empty from the outside, but perhaps tenants weren't home from work yet and/or hanging out in the common living spaces that are typically 'backyard' facing.

Probably try again this week.

incognito said:
Went walking around in the neighborhood last night and didn't have much luck bumping into home owners in the Colibri builds chat up (did bump into a couple from Agave to chat about the neighborhood in general though). Seems like there are a few for lease from FCB/investors. Also, many of the completed units from the previous phases looks empty from the outside, but perhaps tenants weren't home from work yet and/or hanging out in the common living spaces that are typically 'backyard' facing.

Probably try again this week.

It's a ghost town. Jkjk

LOL...I'm not too surprised. Did talk to a Colibri renter there (of course they couldn't provide much input as to the build process and handling), but they seem impressed with the quality of the fit/finish...as much as a renter would be concerned I guess.

Definitely feel like people are only starting to move in to these recently completed builds.

We purchased in the first phase release of Colibri. We had a great experience working with Billie in the design center. They were very helpful and informative. As for the build quality, we have no major issues and all the minor problems we have had, i.e. patching and painting, wrong back splash border installed etc. was fixed promptly with no problems. We have nothing but good things to say about Ryland and are very happy in our new home.

Would you happen to know Ryland's design studio pricing for a few upgrades:

Pre-wiring for ceiling fan per room install?
Recess can lighting per room (e.g. 4 in the master bedroom)?
TV cable in-wall access per install?
Additional cable TV port per install?
Additional CAT5 port per install?
Different base paint color selection than the standard cream color they offer?

Thanks in advance.

Back