Rubies....

biscuitninja_IHB

Has anybody noticed anything about rubies? I purchased a few about 2 years ago. I though I was just bulking up on a few gems for some jewerly projects. It seems that, that modest investment has paid MANY returns. Any ideas?

Rubies are my husband's favorite. I read that their supply has dwindled and the places they are found suffer from political instability, thus accounting for their rise in value. Did you buy them as an investment, or purely for pleasure? What data do you have on their value versus what you paid for them?

[quote author="tmare" date=1236086421]Rubies are my husband's favorite. I read that their supply has dwindled and the places they are found suffer from political instability, thus accounting for their rise in value. Did you buy them as an investment, or purely for pleasure? What data do you have on their value versus what you paid for them?</blockquote>

I did a little bit of both, they were mainly for the wife, but when I kept looking for a heart shaped ruby, they turned out to be quite pricey. So I started comparing 1, 4, and 6ct rubies (purchased only 1x4ct and 1x6ct, but 10x1ct) with the price I purchased them at. It was FAR different that what I purchased them at. I think I may just get rid of the big stone and a few of the smaller stones. We will see what kinda deal i can get away with.

For price comparisons, I mainly go to a few places in LA and wholesale internet stores.

Soooo Tmare, when are YOU going to get a few little stones?

Anyways good luck

-bix

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1236129915]I always thought jewelery is like cars... the minute you drive it off the lot, the value goes down by 15%. I guess it is different nowadays?!?!?</blockquote>

Well yes and no. Jewerly is a different issue than just raw or even processed stones. Definitely an art to the deal, but the principals are nearly the same. Buy and hold or buy and sell if there is sufficient demand. In this case the demand FAR outstrips the supply.

Almost like gold and gold coins. Bullion is somehow less than coins, but for inverstor stuff, i'd rather invest in bullion.

Just a little update, a unsolicited offer for the 6ct and the 6x-1ct has been accepted. We'll see what happens with the other 5 stones. I may just keep a few around for fun.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1236087466][quote author="tmare" date=1236086421]Rubies are my husband's favorite. I read that their supply has dwindled and the places they are found suffer from political instability, thus accounting for their rise in value. Did you buy them as an investment, or purely for pleasure? What data do you have on their value versus what you paid for them?</blockquote>

I did a little bit of both, they were mainly for the wife, but when I kept looking for a heart shaped ruby, they turned out to be quite pricey. So I started comparing 1, 4, and 6ct rubies (purchased only 1x4ct and 1x6ct, but 10x1ct) with the price I purchased them at. It was FAR different that what I purchased them at. I think I may just get rid of the big stone and a few of the smaller stones. We will see what kinda deal i can get away with.

For price comparisons, I mainly go to a few places in LA and wholesale internet stores.

Anyways good luck

-bix</blockquote>

I'm not really buying much these days, like everyone else, I guess. Maybe someday for our 10th, or 20th anniversary :)

Tmare,

ehh, anytime is a decent time. Try going to www.ajsgems.com or www.awsomegems.com .

There are a few other places, but they aren't on the net.

good luck

-bix

[quote author="tmare" date=1236415127][quote author="biscuitninja" date=1236087466][quote author="tmare" date=1236086421]Rubies are my husband's favorite. I read that their supply has dwindled and the places they are found suffer from political instability, thus accounting for their rise in value. Did you buy them as an investment, or purely for pleasure? What data do you have on their value versus what you paid for them?</blockquote>

Anyways good luck

-bix</blockquote>

I'm not really buying much these days, like everyone else, I guess. Maybe someday for our 10th, or 20th anniversary :)</blockquote>

Could just buy some manufactured ones - cheap & pretty

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1236401193/ref=sr_nr_p_n_material_browse_1?ie=UTF8&rs=3367581&keywords=ruby&bbn=3367581&rnid=319882011&rh=n:3367581,k:ruby,p_n_material_browse:319882011,p_n_material_browse:319963011

Back