Retail Openings and Closures

I've visited Churned, Afters, Scoops n Scoops, Rita's & Leaf N Cream and all are overpriced and mediocre in taste. These are all places where you at least try it, but probably will not be a returning customer. If you're in the mood for overpriced Thrifty ice cream, try Archie's in Tustin. Been wanting to try Honeymee, but haven't had the chance yet.

If you like macaron ice cream sandwiches, Milk in Los Angeles is good. Locally, Snow Monster has okay sandwiches.

Dresden215 said:
I've visited Churned, Afters, Scoops n Scoops, Rita's & Leaf N Cream and all are overpriced and mediocre in taste. These are all places where you at least try it, but probably will not be a returning customer. If you're in the mood for overpriced Thrifty ice cream, try Archie's in Tustin. Been wanting to try Honeymee, but haven't had the chance yet.

If you like macaron ice cream sandwiches, Milk in Los Angeles is good. Locally, Snow Monster has okay sandwiches.

You can add Honeymee to the overpriced list too...

The name "Honeymee" drives me absolutely bananas. What's that supposed to mean? Like "honeybee" but with an M? Honey for me, but me is misspelled? It boggles the mind.

Churned is expensive and it seems like melted ice cream.

Strickland's is good when they have certain flavors (they only have about 3-4 a day)... but hand scooped Thrifty is still the best value.

irvinehomeowner said:
Churned is expensive and it seems like melted ice cream.

Strickland's is good when they have certain flavors (they only have about 3-4 a day)... but hand scooped Thrifty is still the best value.

Rite Aid ice cream?

paydawg said:
I'm going to stick to McD's vanilla cones. 

Does yours still sell them chocolate-dipped?

Mine has teenage employees who literally can't figure out how to make one. I've watched them. Every time, they accidentally drop the whole darn thing down in the chocolate. Then they have to stick their whole hand/ arm in to fish it out. Eventually, they said they don't sell them anymore. I'm thinking, "Mmm-hmm. Of course you don't."

SoCal said:
paydawg said:

Mine has teenage employees who literally can't figure out how to make one. I've watched them. Every time, they accidentally drop the whole darn thing down in the chocolate. Then they have to stick their whole hand/ arm in to fish it out. Eventually, they said they don't sell them anymore. I'm thinking, "Mmm-hmm. Of course you don't."

I haven't seen the chocolate-dipped option on the menus lately...but to be honest, I haven't been looking either. I'm just bummed they stopped selling their FRIED apple pies.  Their latest version of the pies are no good.

paydawg said:
SoCal said:
paydawg said:

I haven't seen the chocolate-dipped option on the menus lately...but to be honest, I haven't been looking either. I'm just bummed they stopped selling their FRIED apple pies.  Their latest version of the pies are no good.
I used to work there decades ago and I don't recall ever having to dip a cone.  We could top ice cream off with chocolate or fudge, though.  (Like a sundae)  Also there is a difference between the cone and the sundae one is yogurt and the other is ice cream.

Yeah, the old pies were awesome.  the new pies are meh.

If we're going back...remember the McD apple danish they use to sell, they even steam heat it for you in a little machine I think built just for the danish. 

ps9 said:
If we're going back...remember the McD apple danish they use to sell, they even steam heat it for you in a little machine I think built just for the danish.
I believe the danishes were heated in the Q'ing oven, which is pretty much a powerful microwave. 

The apple pies were baked in the morning in a special pie baking oven.

I still think creamistry is the best for texture and flavor...

So many to try that I haven't, but their Thai Tea, Green Tea, Hazelnut, and Birthday cake flavors are all pretty amazing.

So sad, I just noticed that Chef Chen's on Jeffery/Walnut closed!  This was another place on my rotation.  It never got good business (didn't cater to millennials/Yelp crowd), but the food was damn good and cheap.

ps9 said:
Myung In Dumplings opened next to Furai Chicken inside the Zion market on Irvine Blvd
https://m.yelp.com/biz/myung-in-dumplings-irvine

Not bad, they speak Chinese and Korean, have a pic of Bourdain when he visited the Ktown restaurant with the Koji truck guy I think

I've been coming here once a week to pick up a 4 pack ($8).  Remember to place the order when you first get to Zion and then do your shopping since you will have to wait 10-15 mins. 

Looks like Piadina is opening in the old Subway location at the Crossroads.

Also, Paris Baguette is very close to opening a few doors down. At the very end, what I assume is a chinese restaurant, Inchin's Bamboo Garden, has been under construction almost as long as Kangdong Baekjyoung (or whatever that new BBQ place is called).

I mentioned Halal Guys opening in the District in the Halal guys thread.

At Quail Hill, "fine" dining place Two Left Forks is opening where Crystal Jade (forgot their new name) used to be.

I Can BBQ in Oak Creek still hasn't opened. :(

Paris Baguette opened today at the Crossroads. I had been waiting for it for so long! And now I am so disappointed. Looks very pretty, shiny and new. But this fusion concept, French/Asian, just doesn't do it for me. It's too much Asian, too little French. It's just like Bon Epi, or 85 degrees. Someone tell these people croissants are not supposed to feel and taste like soft bread!
I have yet to find a real authentic French bakery around here. I come from Miami (but originally from Europe), so I'm spoiled with good French patisserie experiences. I may have to trek all the way out to LA for the real thing (although I have one last hope here in OC, La Petite Sourie, close to South Coast Plaza).

Back