Restaurant.com

There's a website called Restaurant.com which sells discounted restaurant gift certificates with discounts up to 90% off. They sell certificates for many restaurants in the Irvine area.

<a href="http://www.restaurant.com/">Restaurant.com</a>

I got some $25 gift certificates to Ayame at Orchard Hills for $2.50 each. I went to Ayame last night and got NY steak, teriyaki chicken, various rolls, tempura, soup, and salad for 2 people and the bill including tax and tip, with my gift cerfiticate, was $20. Not bad for a $2.50 gift certificate.

Enter code "MENU" to get 80% off the already discounted gift certs. I ordered $150 worth for $10 yesterday. My friend alerted me to the discount he saw on spoofee.com.

Has anyone tried this one?

<a href="http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=346323&mcn=00049342">Gondola Adventures</a>

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1236899397]There's a website called Restaurant.com which sells discounted restaurant gift certificates with discounts up to 90% off. They sell certificates for many restaurants in the Irvine area.

I got some $25 gift certificates to Ayame at Orchard Hills for $2.50 each. I went to Ayame last night and got NY steak, teriyaki chicken, various rolls, tempura, soup, and salad for 2 people and the bill including tax and tip, with my gift cerfiticate, was $20. Not bad for a $2.50 gift certificate.</blockquote>

It sounds good, but I'm just wondering what the catch is. It seems a lot of the coupons I'm reading say 18% gratuity is added to the pre-discount bill. Or say minimum purchase of $50, for example. In their "about us" page it makes reference to some places possibly not accepting these gift cards. I am a little skeptical if it sounds too good to be true.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1236904976][quote author="High Gravity" date=1236899397]There's a website called Restaurant.com which sells discounted restaurant gift certificates with discounts up to 90% off. They sell certificates for many restaurants in the Irvine area.

I got some $25 gift certificates to Ayame at Orchard Hills for $2.50 each. I went to Ayame last night and got NY steak, teriyaki chicken, various rolls, tempura, soup, and salad for 2 people and the bill including tax and tip, with my gift cerfiticate, was $20. Not bad for a $2.50 gift certificate.</blockquote>

It sounds good, but I'm just wondering what the catch is. It seems a lot of the coupons I'm reading say 18% gratuity is added to the pre-discount bill. Or say minimum purchase of $50, for example. In their "about us" page it makes reference to some places possibly not accepting these gift cards. I am a little skeptical if it sounds too good to be true.</blockquote>

The discounts and conditions vary with different restaurants, some are good deals and some aren't so good. I was also skeptical at first, but after using the certificate last night at Ayame in Orchard Hills, I can say it at least works there. They will tack an 18% tip to the bill, but that's how much I usually tip anyways.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1236904976][quote author="High Gravity" date=1236899397]There's a website called Restaurant.com which sells discounted restaurant gift certificates with discounts up to 90% off. They sell certificates for many restaurants in the Irvine area.

It sounds good, but I'm just wondering what the catch is. It seems a lot of the coupons I'm reading say 18% gratuity is added to the pre-discount bill. Or say minimum purchase of $50, for example. In their "about us" page it makes reference to some places possibly not accepting these gift cards. I am a little skeptical if it sounds too good to be true.</blockquote>

I have used 3 or 4 of them so far without much issue. The waiter has to remember to charge the 18%, which hasn't always happened. Actually, I don't remember it being added yet so far. When Graph and I haven't reached the minimum, we order extra food that reheats well and just box it up at the end. Drinks do not count. You print it out at home, and I put the paper out on the table when we sit down so they know we have it. Note the Sun-Thurs or Lunch or Dinner only restrictions, but I don't think those are that big of a deal.

Just run the numbers like you guys always do...

$2.50 = $25 certificate

2 drinks = $16

2 entrees = $40

extra to make $50 min = $10

approx bill, depending on when they add tax, apply coupon, etc.

food = 50 - 25 (certificate) = 25

drinks = 16

18% tip = 10

tax = 5

total = 25+16+10+5=$56+$2.50=$58.50

you can only use 1 certificate at a time,

might be different at other restaurants but it's usually valid only M-Thurs.

compare this to a dinner, going where you want, on the day you want,

and not having to bring the email printout.

entrees = 40

drinks = 16

tax = 4.50

18% tip = 10

total = 40+16+10+4.50=$70.50

You can play with the numbers but $12 is not worth the hassle and limitation

for these restaurants.

[quote author="rickhunter" date=1236912891]Just run the numbers like you guys always do...

$2.50 = $25 certificate

2 drinks = $16

2 entrees = $40

extra to make $50 min = $10

approx bill, depending on when they add tax, apply coupon, etc.

food = 50 - 25 (certificate) = 25

drinks = 16

18% tip = 10

tax = 5

total = 25+16+10+5=$56+$2.50=$58.50

you can only use 1 certificate at a time,

might be different at other restaurants but it's usually valid only M-Thurs.

compare this to a dinner, going where you want, on the day you want,

and not having to bring the email printout.

entrees = 40

drinks = 16

tax = 4.50

18% tip = 10

total = 40+16+10+4.50=$70.50

You can play with the numbers but $12 is not worth the hassle and limitation

for these restaurants.</blockquote>

Which would be why an additional 80% off makes it more worth it. Only a few of them have day/time restrictions. When it's an option, I get the $10 off cert. because 2 people can easily order $20 of food. I only get a more expensive cert. when I know others will be joining us. I don't see tossing a piece of paper in my purse as that big of a deal.

Back