Replacing AC Filter - Odd Sizes?

broda

Anyone else experiencing issues replacing the very odd sized AC filters for their place?  I have 3 filters...Master Bedroom standard size I can find at home depot 14x25x1.  Main filter for the house is 16x30x1.  I can only special order this from Lowes or Home Depot.  And then I have a filter near the garage which is 8x24x1 which is nowhere to be found in any regular stores.  I found them on amazon but it's a few MM too big so it doesn't really work for me. 

Just curious what other people's experiences are.

Try this::

(fixed link below)

Not cheap, you can stack some coupons with gift cards, or wait for a sale. 

I usually go with the light blue filtretes, good combo of price and not obstructing flow.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=filtrete+8-in+x+24-in?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=filtrete+8-in+x+24-in#!

FARMMMMMIE said:
broda, I've found a lot of the odd sizes at Target... good luck!

I tried target too, they didnt have it.  PS9 thanks for the link.  maybe my Google Fu is off but I couldn't find those at Lowes when searching.

Anyone try cutting a filter in half to make the correct size?  For example, I need a 8x12 one and I saw a 8x24 available.  Can I just cut it in half to make the correct size?

I doubt it, unless you can make a new border.  Air would escape unfiltered pass the 'cut side' no?  That would be the path of least resistance. 

ps9 said:
I doubt it, unless you can make a new border.  Air would escape unfiltered pass the 'cut side' no?  That would be the path of least resistance. 

I just did this so I guess we'll see how the filter looks in 3 months.  I bought a pretty expensive filter so there is a lot more material than the cheaper ones (making it more rigid).  I asked a Home Depot guy and he said it's not a problem to cut it.   

I checked amazon and bought one of them from a vendor...the filters were 2mm too big and I can't fit in the filter area.  They don't offer anything good.  The ones from Lowes, Home Depot for Filtrete are perfect.

broda said:
I checked amazon and bought one of them from a vendor...the filters were 2mm too big and I can't fit in the filter area.  They don't offer anything good.  The ones from Lowes, Home Depot for Filtrete are perfect.

I went to HD and Lowes they don't have the filter I need. Yesterday, I was at Lowes and the guy working there, suggested I cut it to make it fit. I don't know if he was joking or what. I just walked away.

eyephone said:
broda said:

I went to HD and Lowes they don't have the filter I need. Yesterday, I was Lowes the guy working there, suggested I cut it to make it fit. I don't know if he was joking or what. I just walked away.

yeah they don't carry it in stock at the store, you have to order from online and then I just opted for the free ship to store.

I'm telling you, Nordic pure offers filters just slightly smaller that fit with no cutting. So if you need a 10 x 20 filter they sell it as a 10 x 20 filter but the actual size is 9.5 x 19.5 so it fits just fine

freedomcm said:
wouldn't you get air leaking around it, if the fit isn't tight?

it it's 8 x 24 x 1 they should make the filter 7.5 x 23.5 x 1.  That way it fits in the opening.  If there is a slight gap around the filter it's ok because once it's sucking in air it will form a suction and because the filter is allowing air flow the edges should be fine.  If you're not even covering the hole than yes you'll have a leak and your filter will be ineffective.

broda said:
freedomcm said:
wouldn't you get air leaking around it, if the fit isn't tight?

it it's 8 x 24 x 1 they should make the filter 7.5 x 23.5 x 1.  That way it fits in the opening.  If there is a slight gap around the filter it's ok because once it's sucking in air it will form a suction and because the filter is allowing air flow the edges should be fine.  If you're not even covering the hole than yes you'll have a leak and your filter will be ineffective.

like broda said, the entire hole is covered by the filter so all of the air is being filtered. the filter is just small enough so it doesnt hit the screws on the inside of the frame and you dont have to shove the filter in to get it to fit.

Figure I would post a picture of my cut in half filter.  Looks like a pretty tight fit and once the vent cover goes back on, it should be even more snug.  Cutting the filter in half almost saves me 50%.  The correct size filter would have been $18, but this one was $20.

Attachments

• filter.png
    filter.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 127
These are the air filters needed in my home.

Downstairs (Hallway): 8"x24"x1"
Upstairs (Master Bedroom): 10"x20"x1"
Upstairs (Hallway): 18"x30"x1"

These sizes are ridiculous. Why can't they use standard ones. 8x24x1? WTF?!
Couldn't take advantage of this deal.

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1225267-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=4485850&SID=fc4e0d35f1d74695b4b51992f67e2341&cj=true

Ends today.

Back