Rental Leasing Increase

How can I find the market rate for the area we live at? by looking at the various websites, I see what was the asking price/rate, but that does not mean that this was the agreed upon rate, isn't that right?

If the owner's aren't getting what they're asking, then they're asking too much, and the property has sat long enough for them to have figured it out before they'll agree to something less.  If the market is hot, then rentals priced "at market" will get rented out quickly.  I would never think to haggle on rent in a hot market if I'm needing to get into a place quickly, and the price is fair for what's out there.

I've been a landlord for almost 2 decades now.  I only raise the rent when the tenant moves out.  The cost of getting a new tenant is usually a lot more than a small increase in rent.

When you have a tenant who is hassle free and pay their rent on time, it's not worth the risk of losing them just to up the rent by $100.  I can afford not getting that $100, but the prospect of having the unit sit empty for ~3 months plus cost of cleaning/painting/repairs would make me choke.

If you own multiple rental homes, having 2 or more tenants move out around the same time is like losing a high stake Ferengi game of Tongo.

CItiPJgVAAAhfBU.jpg

The problem here is my rental went from $2100 back in 2010 to.....What zillow is saying..$2800 now.
It's not $100 difference,  it's $700.  So in 7 years it's gone up $100/year.

Check your current rental house regarding how much you can rent it for at current market prices.  If your renter has been in that house for more than 5 years, you are probably losing $500/month if you haven't raised rents.

zubs said:
The problem here is my rental went from $2100 back in 2010 to.....What zillow is saying..$2800 now.
It's not $100 difference,  it's $700.  So in 7 years it's gone up $100/year.

Check your current rental house regarding how much you can rent it for at current market prices.  If your renter has been in that house for more than 5 years, you are probably losing $500/month if you haven't raised rents.

Typically rents have risen by the same amount as inflation or about 3% per year.  Rents have increased about 8-10% from 2015 to now due to an improving job market and economy.  That being said, renters are extremely price sensitive and even a $50-$100/month difference will result in potentially additional time to get the home rented.

Getting tenants in Irvine is pretty easy with tons of students looking for homes... you just have to deal with the headaches (and the neighbors complaining to you).

I remember rents went up $500 in 2 years back in the 2000s when we were renting out our Irvine home. We increased the rent $500 after the previous tenants moved out and I remember my father saying that was crazy. We got 5 applicants and ended up discounting the monthly by $100 because they signed a 2-year lease.

If I didn't dislike landlording so much, I would get back into the Irvine rental market... even at low cash flow as long as the rent covers costs. Although Panda's one house at a time equation might work better in Johns Creek... unlike all the companies in Cali, I can't move out of state.

As a private landlord it is difficult to raise people's rents every year, especially when it jumps like it has in the past few years.  So you're looking at a mortgage that is the same with all the regular costs, and the ability to raise rents.  It's quite the power trip.

My renter told me he knows the rents for the area is very high, and he didn't want me to subsidize his living situation anymore.  He is going to leave so I can increase my rent.

Problem solved. Hopefully he didn't come across the story on TI before he told you that he will bounce. Jk

zubs said:
As a private landlord it is difficult to raise people's rents every year, especially when it jumps like it has in the past few years.  So you're looking at a mortgage that is the same with all the regular costs, and the ability to raise rents.  It's quite the power trip.

My renter told me he knows the rents for the area is very high, and he didn't want me to subsidize his living situation anymore.  He is going to leave so I can increase my rent.

That's pretty surprising for his actions. I remembered when I was a renter, myself, I rented a house and for the first three months the owner would comes to the front door on the 1st of the month to collect the rent. It was around 300 hundred below market comp and I was so happy.

Then on a fourth month into my 1 year lease, a note comes from sheriff notify us we have to vacate as the property is foreclosed. At the time I was living with my brothers and I carried few possessions, nonetheless it was a hectic and so much hassle experience, that I would not want anyone to endure. Then I realized the owner at the time when we signed the lease, she known full well that she never pay her mortgage debt and intended to just pocket our rent check. So even when renting you better do your due diligence.

zubs said:

Sounds like you have a great tenant...hold on to them. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
zubs said:

Keep them for around $8k a year loss of potential rental income. ($700 the difference of rent x 12 months = $8,400)

Compressed-Village said:
My rentals for the past several years, each year when tenants renew a lease term I've always increase the rent rate by 3 to 4 percents. This year with the strong job market and tight inventory I am contemplating raising the rate about 10 percents. What would you do if you are a leasing your rental(s)? There are a lot of great applicants out there with good paying jobs that wanted to rents in Irvine.

Hi, just found this forum and I'm still trying to move over there but rents are high. Here in Vegas the culture is different (the people). Landlords generally don't raise rents except maybe by 2 percent, unless the landlord is from California and then they raise rents with computer programs by 5 percent of more.

Rental in Irvine is different than other local rental to OC by an arm and a leg. Now compare that to Vegas is a huge difference. Rental in Irvine typically rent out very quickly. As far as increases, that determine case by case basis for me. If you have a great renter, I would not raise any.

USCTrojanCPA said:
zubs said:

If you were to monetize "great tenant" how much would it be? 

$100/month
$200/month
$300/month

Where's the line drawn?
For me I'd say around $250 to $350 per month.

zubs said:

$100/month
$200/month
$300/month

Where's the line drawn?

I like this question. Let's get down to brass tacks. Being a landlord in California doesn't seem like something I can even fantasize about given my line of work, but I can tweak the question a bit: "If you were to monetize "adequate landlord" how much would it be?

When I really thought about it, I think my number was about the same as yours: All things being equal, I'd probably pay about $250/mo to escape a bad landlord.

zubs said:

$100/month
$200/month
$300/month

Where's the line drawn?
I'm not a landlord, so I'm a bit ignorant. 

I'd guess it would be about a month's rent divided by 12 months plus a little more for hassle and expenses on turn around.  That pretty much matches your numbers.  Then again, out here it's common to see people move in a couple days after someone moves out.

an update...for my case above. I finally rented my house out for $2700.  So hopefully the new renters are good.
So my rent went from $2200 to $2700 in one move out at the end of JUN.

$500 more a month.  The hell is going on with this economy?  I feel like a bandit taking that much in rent.
But there were 6 offers.... fuck burning man.

While my new renters were moving in, another couple came to look at the house and were shoo'd away by the new renters.

zubs said:
an update...for my case above. I finally rented my house out for $2700.  So hopefully the new renters are good.

$500 more a month.  The hell is going on with this economy?  I feel like a bandit taking that much in rent.

While my new renters were moving in, another couple came to look at the house and were shoo'd away by the new renters.

Are you renting a 2/2?

Seriously, 3 bedroom apartments are $3000 (okay, $2955), an actual townhouse or detached 3bd, a little more.

Rental demand in Irvine and immediate vicinity is very strong, such that if you own a place, financially it may be better to move, landlord and rent than sell and buy.  Essentially using the new renters to supplement your rent while paying for your old place.

This is a single story house that is 3/2 but not in Irvine.  It's been a rental since 2010.

nosuchreality said:
zubs said:

Are you renting a 2/2?

Seriously, 3 bedroom apartments are $3000 (okay, $2955), an actual townhouse or detached 3bd, a little more.

Rental demand in Irvine and immediate vicinity is very strong, such that if you own a place, financially it may be better to move, landlord and rent than sell and buy.  Essentially using the new renters to supplement your rent while paying for your old place.
Makes sense.

It probably makes more financial sense, though, to sell the $700,000 house and buy 2 $350,000 houses elsewhere and rent them for $2000 per month each. 

Back