Remodel costs

ocbuyer

I am considering purchasing a 2 story ~2300 sq ft home built in the 60's on a 10000 sq ft lot.  The plan is to add about 500-700 sq ft to the home..a bedroom/bath downstairs, and one upstairs...maybe expand a living area

I don't need the finishes to be high-end.

I am hoping to get an architects assistance so the remodel doesnt look silly in the neighborhood, and is functional.  I also don't have the capcity to manage the work..so I need assistance there

What should I estimate my remodel costs to be? I am looking for a reasonable planning assumption, not an exact number
Thanks in advance for the help

Hello ocbuyer,

I'd suggest two things:

1.Bring the architect/designer with you to the home to see it for themselves. He or she can give you a better idea of the costs when able to envision what changes need to take place. Variables such as changing a roofline, moving a bearing wall, or running plumbing/electrical make a big difference. It is also important to define what "doesn't need to be high-end" means for you. Even though some materials appear to be inexpensive, sometimes finding a contractor to specialize in it can be costly.

I'd consider it a good investment of time to have someone do this for you if you are seriously considering making changes like you've mentioned before.

2. Check with others who have gone through the process recently. There is a cost to "camping" in your own home, as well, sometimes during the time when the renovations are taking place.

Good luck, and if you'd like referrals I'd be happy to provide them.
-IrvineRealtor

ocbuyer said:
I am considering purchasing a 2 story ~2300 sq ft home built in the 60's on a 10000 sq ft lot.  The plan is to add about 500-700 sq ft to the home..a bedroom/bath downstairs, and one upstairs...maybe expand a living area

I don't need the finishes to be high-end.

I am hoping to get an architects assistance so the remodel doesnt look silly in the neighborhood, and is functional.  I also don't have the capcity to manage the work..so I need assistance there

What should I estimate my remodel costs to be? I am looking for a reasonable planning assumption, not an exact number
Thanks in advance for the help

For a 60's tract seismic enforcement is usually lacking. Local building code will require you to update the structural frame so the house could be more solid to resist additional forces inserted by the newly added mass. The downstairs bedroom and bath is much easier but the second floor bed and bath is a tougher challenge due it's weight and access. You may think the equation is simply 700 sf x $100/sf but the reality is you have to modify a portion of the existing in order to be able to accept and access the new spaces. This could affect up to 50 % of the existing interior as well as tearing a portion of your roof off or adding a new roof over the existing one. if you could accommodate both bedrooms on the ground floor then you could save a bundle of cash.

Cost is all over the place depending on the outcome not high end vs low end in term of solid gold plating fixture vs Formica countertop but rather solving the solution seamlessly so the future buyers of your home don't walk away because of your messy remodel. 100% of the turn offs for buyers are awkward remodels. If you could achieve a solution where no one could tell the rooms were added on then You have succeeded.

So where is your home? if it is in Irvine architects will inflate their estimate. If it is in Santa Ana then you will get a fair estimate. your zip code plays a big factor in the cost.

When we remodeled the company that we used had completed 3 other homes in our area in the past 2 years. We picked them not because of cost but by their referrals. Anyone in your tract had work done lately?

Irvine Realtor's point #2 is spot on. Remodeling is often best done while you're out of the country. Living in your house while the workers are tearing up the joint is hard on the emotions.

Our Contractor gave us sage advise prior to starting: "I know you want this and that done, just be aware that all things are possible with two things: Time, and Money. Don't have much of either? Keep your wish list at what you can afford and no more".  The things we could have asked the workers to do would have spiraled the total cost well past what we had in the bank. Overspending is pretty easy when it's broken down on a $10.00 per month increase in your payment. Don't travel down that pathway and your remodel will be a zip!

My .02c

ocbuyer said:
If you have a referral to an architect / designer, I would be very grateful

I believe irvinehomeshopper is a good person to direct you to.
He's circled below.  :p
(send him a PM)
nile2.jpg

I think HGTV does a lot in skewing people's perceptions.

I watch Property Brothers quite a bit and I always think: "Yeah... how did they do all that with only $80k?"

Most of those shows don't include the labor cost for their renos so that makes it seem like a better deal than it would be in reality.

Also remember to build in a cost contingency into the remodeling budget, almost everyone goes over their budget.

Back