Refusing to Wear Religious Garb

Perspective

Kudos to Le Pen, with whom I have little politically in common with, for refusing to wear a headscarf. Religious folk need to be fought when they're trying to impose their beliefs on others, especially when they're imposed non-uniformly (men aren't required to wear headscarfs in this context).

France?s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with Lebanese religious leadershttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news...with-lebanese-leaders/?utm_term=.732ab3ca6828

I've been to a couple Jewish weddings where they offered a yamaka. Um, no. You will not see me wearing any religious garb.

Can't "religious" also mean "cultural"?

I don't see the harm in respecting one's culture.

This is like not taking your shoes off when you enter an Irvine home. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Can't "religious" also mean "cultural"?

I don't see the harm in respecting one's culture.

This is like not taking your shoes off when you enter an Irvine home. :)

Fair point. Entering someone's home is very personal, requiring a certain level of respect and conformance to cultural norms, but there is a line. If a friend asked my wife and daughter to cover their heads before entering their home, we wouldn't enter. 

Perspective said:
Kudos to Le Pen, with whom I have little politically in common with, for refusing to wear a headscarf. Religious folk need to be fought when they're trying to impose their beliefs on others, especially when they're imposed non-uniformly (men aren't required to wear headscarfs in this context).

France?s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with Lebanese religious leadershttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news...with-lebanese-leaders/?utm_term=.732ab3ca6828

I've been to a couple Jewish weddings where they offered a yamaka. Um, no. You will not see me wearing any religious garb.

I wouldn't even go period.

To me it's a matter of perspective.

Going back to your wedding example, they are usually "formal attire", so if you are given a tie and/or jacket upon entering (like some restaurants), you usually acquiesce.

Perspective said:
If a friend asked my wife and daughter to cover their heads before entering their home, we wouldn't enter. 

If that person is your "friend" you should know their cultural/religious background and either respect it or risk offending them.

My kids have friends from many different religious/cultural backgrounds and if we were visiting (the keyword is us being "visitors") their home, and that same request was made of us (even though the parents are not really our friends), we would surely respect their wishes if they asked.

I'm not commenting on whether you or I are in the right, just my viewpoint.

I guess it can go both ways. People getting married should consider who they invite. You don't want that person who loves to drink/political junkie/etc to ruin your wedding. People come to wedding to have a good time and relax.  :D

Right, in my context both "Jewish" weddings were outdoor affairs, not places of worship, and one included a Christian groom. I felt completely comfortable declining the offer to wear religious garb.

The Mormons do it right. You won't even get invited to their weddings unless you're as devout as the couple marrying.

Perspective said:
Right, in my context both "Jewish" weddings were outdoor affairs, not places of worship, and one included a Christian groom. I felt completely comfortable declining the offer to wear religious garb.

The Mormons do it right. You won't even get invited to their weddings unless you're as devout as the couple marrying.
Since I don't know your friends, I can only speculate that the offered the yarmulke to you not to validate their religion but to show their friendship to you by demonstrating that they consider you to be one of them.  This is very different than Le Pen being forced to wear a headscarf as a condition of the meeting.  Refusing a sincere gesture of friendship at a happy occasion like a wedding is a dick move.

Perspective said:

I'm trying to play devils advocate here (not that I disagree with you) --  Both topless man and woman going to a regular beach or something -- you would request the woman to wear something on the top but allow men to go without shirt  as it is our cultural norm -- this is not much different from their cultural norm where women must  wear headscarf while men does not --- it is very possible that for their culture, women not wearing headscarf is like women wandering naked in ours --- just a thought.

Back