Refrigerator

bookworm

There is an option to purchase the refrigerator from Irvine Pacific as part of upgrade option for a new home.  The refrigerator offered is "KitchenAid 22.8 cubic ft Architect Series II FreeStanding French Door - Counter Depth", model number KFCS22EVMS for $2,906.  We did some research and found that the same refrigerator goes for about the same price at Sears and Lowes.  However, there are other refrigerators i.e. Samsung, Whirlpool, Frigiaire that are being sold for $1,000 to $2,000 in the market.  Is it worth getting the refrigerator from Irvine Pacific?  Are there any concerns with refrigerator delivery and hook-up from outside vendor that we need to consider?

I didn't know kitchenaid made a refrigerator. That being said, I would not not get it. I had my samsung fridge French door stainless steel fridge for like 4 years, no problem.

Check out consumer reports.

we actually had an issue with the water dispenser of our new fridge (bought from lowe's) not working upon install. fortunately it was minor and just needed flushing of the water line, which the builder techs came out promptly to resolve. Had it been something more major, I would've realized the value that comes with getting things from builder...

In my opinion - I would rather go out and buy my one refrigerator rather than getting it through Irvine Pacific (this is what my wife and I did when we bought an Irvine Pacific condo 4 years ago). We purchased an LG 21 cu. ft. counter-depth fridge from Best Buy for something like $1,200 or so.

Fridge is one of the appliances not worth buying through the builder. When I see what's offered for counter depth fridges today, there are so many options and best buy, lowes, etc all offer great sales around this time.

eyephone said:
I didn't know kitchenaid made a refrigerator. That being said, I would not not get it. I had my samsung fridge French door stainless steel fridge for like 4 years, no problem.

Check out consumer reports.

KitchenAid is the premium line of appliances made by the mass producers.  The next step up is when you get into the specialty/commercial line such as Viking, Thermador, etc.

They sell the same fridge at Pacific Sales in Irvine for around $2,300 and if you can get your hands on a written quote you can get a 110% price match at Lowe's. No complaints so far with the fridge.

We're about to pick our fridge and I think we're leaning towards buying it ourselves instead of through the builder.
The quote through the builder is 48" Sub Zero for $11.5K or 48" KitchenAid for $9.3K. Has anyone had experience buying the fridge themselves and if so, where did you buy from??? I just don't want to regret not getting one through the builder and end up not finding one later! Samsung has one for around $7K but it looks like it's a discontinued model.

What's interesting is, if I go with a 42", I will have to pay an extra $230 for "cabinet prep". I guess this means adding more cabinets to fill in 6" of space. I looked back at the model home (which has a 42") and I don't see enough space for 6" of extra fridge room! I'll have to ask what the cabinets will look like if I stick with a 48".

Attachments

• DSC_3819.JPG
    DSC_3819.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 199
If you go through the builder, you'll have the following positive(s):
(1) You can put the cost of the fridge into your financing of the home

BUT, you'll have the following negatives:
(1) You can probably get the same fridge cheaper from Pacific Sales, Lowe's or Home Depot, when they're having a sale or honor a 'new mover' discount or some other coupon.
(2) The cost won't be factored into the price of the home, thus you won't be paying property taxes on that $2900 item. 

Don't worry about getting it hooked up.  That shouldn't be a problem.  Save on property taxes and avoid IP Design Center for this purchase.  That's what I did.

Are you doing your flooring after close?  I got my fridge through the builder and having the flooring guys take out my new $10k built-in fridge and work around it scared me enough to overpay for the flooring through the builder.

You can ask them if they will deliver it after close (if you buy it from them) but most won't as it's equivalent to closing escrow without the home being complete.

Anyhow that's another thing you wouldn't have to worry about if you buy the fridge after close.

If it's just a regular counter depth fridge and not a build-in fridge, don't get it from the builder.  Unless the builder offer a significant discount on the price, otherwise, just shop some where else after closing.

aquabliss said:
Are you doing your flooring after close?  I got my fridge through the builder and having the flooring guys take out my new $10k built-in fridge and work around it scared me enough to overpay for the flooring through the builder.

You can ask them if they will deliver it after close (if you buy it from them) but most won't as it's equivalent to closing escrow without the home being complete.

Anyhow that's another thing you wouldn't have to worry about if you buy the fridge after close.

Thanks aquabliss! Yea, we are going to do flooring after close. I never even thought about the whole moving the fridge out to do flooring thing. That's great advice!

lnc said:
If it's just a regular counter depth fridge and not a build-in fridge, don't get it from the builder.  Unless the builder offer a significant discount on the price, otherwise, just shop some where else after closing.

Uh oh...what is the difference between a counter depth fridge and a built-in fridge? I believe it is a built in fridge that the builder is selling. Any special thing I need to do if I buy a built-in fridge outside? Will it not fit in the hole?

happytales said:
Uh oh...what is the difference between a counter depth fridge and a built-in fridge? I believe it is a built in fridge that the builder is selling. Any special thing I need to do if I buy a built-in fridge outside? Will it not fit in the hole?

One big difference is the price.  Build in runs $7000 and up.  The free standing counter depth runs around $1500-$3000. 

Depends on the builder.  Some new home can only have build in and some have option to chose either one.  For IP homes, buyer can chose either option.

The fridge OP was talking about is a free standing counter depth fridge.  The 42" you are talking about is a build in. And for the build in, I'm agree with aquibliss, get it from the builder and ask if they can postpone the installation after the flooring is done.

Back