Redfin vs. full service agent?

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1251472739][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1251469417]Besides, when a good portion of the commission goes back to the buyers, it reduces the pushiness of the agent and goes a long way to better align the agents' interests with their clients' interests.</blockquote>

trojanman, don't take this personally... It sounds like you do a good job for your clients and you're impossible not to like. I don't believe you are a pushy agent because, as you've said, you do this on the side, and have other good income.

Semantically, I have to make a correction, though.

I will argue to my grave about these two points, and you keep making them over and over again. I vehemently disagree.

1. <strong>Reducing the commission to the agent does not decrease his or her pushiness.</strong> The agent that works for 1% has to close three times as many deals to make the same $$$ as an agent working for 3%. If that agent <strong><em>needs </em></strong>to make that same $$$ to make ends meet, I would contend that their "pushiness" may actually be increased to make up for volume. This is true when considering both a short-term and long-term basis.

2. <strong>This practice does not do anything to "better align" interests.</strong> The agent just has less skin in the game. Does a lasik surgeon have a client's interests more at heart if he/she works for 50% off? This is particularly true for the long-term view.

Agents are pushy, or they aren't. They act in their client's best interests, or they don't. Decreasing their pay does not improve their performance.

With that said, however, the lesson is not lost on me that several people have come to you for your "kickbacks" as you say...

I constantly have to make sure that my service and my rate are competitive with anything else out there.

-IR2</blockquote>
You are right as well because if an agent offers a portion of their commission to their clients the agent will need to close more transactions which can certain bring out the worst in some agents. So it does depend on the agent because it can cut both ways. You know that I am of the opinion that the compensation structure for realtors needs to be re-vamped. It should be sort of a per view/per hour arrangement for an agent on the buyer will a smaller commission when the transaction actually closes (the commission percentage would decrease as the price continues to increase). You could also expand a similar structure to the listing agent buy charging a listing fee and then a smaller commission percentage (commission percentage would also decrease as the price rises).

At the end of the day, I still believe that we service a different kind of buyer for the most part (and I'm not even considering doing listings at this time). Unlike myself with what I have going on, you can really give a lot of your the time and energy to those folks who need educating and have to see many areas/homes so they can narrow things down. For that, you do deserve a higher compensation. There are clients that would benefit most from having your as their agent, other clients that would be a benefit most from having me as their agent, and of course there are those people that would benefit most from using Redfin.

[quote author="orgopeach" date=1251515366]I think it's a difference of full-service (IR) versus part-time full-service (Trojan) and bare-bone services (Redfin). Each have their own offerings and prices. <strong>IR seems to have an annoyance with Trojan for his "rebate" </strong>(kickback has such a negative connotation).

I am surprised that most people think the "rebate" is illegal but I think it's because they hear the word kickback.

There is a place in world for IR, Trojan, and Redfin. No need to rip on one or the other.</blockquote>
Not at all, IR2 is good people and is one of the reasons why I enjoy going to IHB gatherings because I know that I can slap the realtor sh!t with him. I really am looking forward to the day where I could work with IR2 on the opposite side of a transaction. Yeah, the whole "kickback" word makes it seem shady and underhanded. Even my broker doesn't like me using the word "kickback" and told me to call it a "contribution" to my clients. haha

Just want to add. I did have this issue with my agent, about 10 years ago when I move up to my current house.

She said she will give me back 3% of the commission if i buy/sell with her. Which I did. At the end, (after everything close) she never mention a word about the rebate, and when I called her up on it, she said, you took too long to buy. (we took about 9 months of looking) and I have to spend all those time bringing you around, so no, you are not going to get the money back.

[quote author="cl1" date=1251240046]

Another thing about Redfin is that you have no doubt that you will get your rebate. With a regular agent there is always some nagging doubt. Because in the end the agent has to cough up the rebate from his/her own commission - a rather painful process for the agent, even though he has agreed to it. With Redfin the rebate is a corporate process. The people who handle your case, such as the negotiating agent, have no interest in this money. It is yours from the beginning by policy.

Back