Redfin and sale records

stepping_up_IHB

I've posted 640 Surf several times as an oddity because both Redfin and Zillow show the last sale as 7/08 for $566K, which had to have been the bank taking it back. There have been people living in it since at least Sept. I did a search on the property taxes and see that they are current, paid a few days before their due date, assessed at $374K, there was a special asessment and there is no homeowner's $7K expemption. This seems to indicate that the property was acquired for $374K and is a rental. Do all sales become public record and if so, does Redfin AND Zillow miss them from time to time?

Redfin and Zillow do occasionally make mistakes. I have caught a few.

All sales are public record. In fact, if it is not recorded in the public record in a timely manner, in the eyes of the law, no sale has occurred.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1243421479]Redfin and Zillow do occasionally make mistakes. I have caught a few.

All sales are public record. In fact, if it is not recorded in the public record in a timely manner, in the eyes of the law, no sale has occurred.</blockquote>

Are there any other sources that do not have a fee where you can search the public record with just the property address?

The bank did indeed take it back on 6/24/<strong>2008</strong> for $556,224. It appears that the county assessor hasn't updated the property taxes. It was purchased in 03 for $340k, so the lower tax base makes sense. The bank was IndyMac, and according to county records, a notice of rescission was filed about a month later. Who knows what happened, maybe a mistake by IndyMac, maybe a legal mistake. Either way, I think the owner is still there, and that might also explain the property taxes. Honestly, it could have been one of those mistakes where the deed wasn't properly transferred when it was sold, and now the owner lives there debt free. You would have to go to county records to dig up the truth on this one.

what's really weird though is that the property taxes were delinquent in '06 and '07, made current in '08 and then kept current at the due dates in dec of '08 and apr of '09 and no homeowner's expemption. It doesn't seem that banks pay taxes on their properties until they are going to close escrow?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1243422475]what's really weird though is that the property taxes were delinquent in '06 and '07, made current in '08 and then kept current at the due dates in dec of '08 and apr of '09 and no homeowner's expemption. It doesn't seem that banks pay taxes on their properties until they are going to close escrow?</blockquote>

That's why you would need to go to county records and see what the notice of rescission was about. IMO, the bank made a big boo boo, and now the owner lives there scott free. Plus, if they had a good lawyer, and impound escrow account, IndyMac may have had enough to cover the taxes, or the owner has enough left over since he no longer has a mortgage payment.

they aren't too saavy and as curious as I am about it, I really am not going to SA to pull it up. posting to try and test out whether my new avatar that supposedly uploaded actually uploaded....

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1243426846]they aren't too saavy and as curious as I am about it, I really am not going to SA to pull it up. posting to try and test out whether my new avatar that supposedly uploaded actually uploaded....</blockquote>
It did... it's the WTF Panda. Just need to refresh.

It is possible to record a sale without the sales price appearing on the more easily accessible, (scans or microfiches), of the documents. I think the escrow company has to list the price on the wrong side of the deed or whatever is normally scanned to record the sale.

As an exercise, try to find the sale price for 31951 Violeta Lane, zip 92679. I think you will find that the sale has been recorded with the correct documents, but the sales price will not show. One would have to access the original docs and turn one over to get the sales price.

Back