recommendations re summer chinese language school/camp

We are actively looking into this as well, my wife has visited the one near Albertsins/cypress village center, but they did not have the summer programs ready yet.  Believe that's the SCCCCCCCCCCA.  Pick up might be an issue as these programs end around 5/5:30

rumor has it Karis will be offering their summer Chinese immersion program at $350/week!  Ouch... more expensive than Montessori.  And they close at 5pm. 

ps9 said:
rumor has it Karis will be offering their summer Chinese immersion program at $350/week!  Ouch... more expensive than Montessori.  And they close at 5pm. 

Don't they do some extended care arrangement with playland cafe downstairs?

I believe so but is it supervised after 5pm?  Don't want it to be lonely play land no parent cafe :(

ps9 said:

Similar to A Little Dynasty

Correction:  Karis is until 5:30, still cutting it too close for us fighting thru Irvine traffic.  Need to look into who is supervising kids at Playland cafe after 5:30, if any. 

nyc to oc said:
Hi all,

I am looking for a chinese language full day summer camp for my kids (ages 6 and 5).

Does anybody have any experience or opinions of the relative pros/cons of the different programs in Irvine? I was thinking about either the South Coast Chinese Cultural Association program, or A Little Dynasty. Any others I should look into?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give!

We did SCCCA 2 summers in a row. Loved it because of the time and lunch option.  Drop off as early as 8 and pickup as late as 6:30 pm.  Hot lunch is also available for purchase.  I believe it was $6 a day for hot asian lunch. 

As for chinese instruction, we were pleased with it. 

ps9 said:
They're Taiwanese?  So traditional?  Don't want my daughter rolling her Rrrr's :)

You can pick traditional or simplified program.  We opted for traditional and her instructor was Taiwanese, no rolling of the Rrrrrr's.  =)
Also, in the morning from 8-9, it is "daycare" time so they usually show chinese cartoons.  Instruction starts at 9. 

All instruction is in chinese, when it gets too hot, kids play indoors in the gym.  They teach them chinese cultural stuff like dance, kung fu, art in addition to chinese instruction.

Sccca' summer program is out:
http://www.sccca.org/programs/smrprg/2015/smrprg.html

No food provided this year, also it will be a cold packed lunch as the microwave is for staff only.  Chinese immersion is only Week 2-9 unless kinder.  $150/week with a $35 textbook fee.  Possible 3% early bird discount and also 5% discount if you register 7+weeks.  PM classes don't have prices yet, I believe you can do more Chinese immersion but maybe too much for my 1st grader. 

Here's the Karis info:
http://www.karisacademy.com/chinese/mandarin-immersion-summer-camp

$350/week for full day, bring a AM snack, optional lunch is $5, PM snack is provided.  Might be better for younger kids than SCCCA, smaller class sizes and less PM class choices can be better, less complicated.  5% early bird discount and another 5% discount for 4+ weeks registration.  $20 reg fee and $25 textbook fee. 

We're leaning towards Karis now. 

Not chinese but there's also Lango Kids for immersion language camps. They offer spanish and french. $350 per week for full weeks and $250 for half days. Discounts when you sign up for multiple weeks. It's hosted at IVC. Their regular classes are pretty fun so I assume camp will be too.  Lots of non-asians 8)
http://www.langokidsirvine.com/vlt16016.htm

If those classes are full, parents may consider Uncle Qwerty's Mexican Camp. Children will be placed in a Spanish immersion class where they will learn conversational phrases such as, "That's what she said." Hot daily lunches consisting of Taco Bell will be provided for a nominal fee.

SoCal said:
If those classes are full, parents may consider Uncle Qwerty's Mexican Camp. Children will be placed in a Spanish immersion class where they will learn conversational phrases such as, "That's what she said." Hot daily lunches consisting of Taco Bell will be provided for a nominal fee.

Why didn't I think of this myself? Here are three complimentary phrases you can teach your kids at dinner tonite

- lo mas grande lo mejor
- es lo que Ella dijo
- hola, me llamo tripodo (for boys only)

qwerty said:
SoCal said:

Why didn't I think of this myself? Here are three complimentary phrases you can teach your kids at dinner tonite

- lo mas grande lo mejor
- es lo que Ella dijo

However, the only Spanish kid will learn from uncle Qwerty probably is..

?Yo quiero Taco Bell!

lnc said:
qwerty said:
SoCal said:

- lo mas grande lo mejor
- es lo que Ella dijo

However, the only Spanish kid will learn from uncle Qwerty probably is..

?Yo quiero Taco Bell!

Inc - i was saving that one for tomorrows complimentary phrase. thanks.

^ Is that really a new idea? I remember being given exactly this kind of instruction a long time ago when I was a kid (here in Orange County.)

Back