Recommendations for Gardening Service

lovinLife

We can't seem to find someone that meets our basic expectations.  All we really want is:

- Bimonthly service (we have hardscape no grass)
- Shows up on day/time they said they were going to
- Does the work meticulously (all weeding, trimming, flower bed maintenance, etc.) that they signed up for (total lot size is <4K)
- Can maintain the trees when we ask them to (of course for an extra cost)
- Shows up sober :)

Anyone have any recommendations?  We have paid about $50-60/month in the past and are looking to spend around that much if possible.

I had called Landscape Locators for some info a few months ago when my gardener started to not show up. I liked their premise - they have a bank of lawn service people, and they are assigned to you by the company. If you are not happy with them, they send someone else out. It's difficult to understand what my gardener is saying sometimes, with his thick accent, and with this company you deal with an English speaking office and can pay by credit card. I decided not to use them because they were more money than what I'm currently paying (and my gardener needed to finish all the other work we had paid him for), but maybe they'll work for you? Their website is landscapelocatorsdotnet.

My neighbor's landscaper is pretty timely... same day... around the same time.

We want to use them but we don't want to hurt our guy's feelings (we've used him for many years). And they come every week for only $5 more than our guy who only comes twice a month.

If we ever move, we'll probably use that as an excuse to switch. I'll find out their info from our neighbor and PM you.

If  you  don't  mind pm-ing  me  as  well.  Good  Gardner's  are  hard  to  come  by.
Thanks!!

Tyler Durden said:
Is 50-60 the going rate??
I think they charge $50... but not very big lots, front yard and backyard (most TIC lots have barely any front yard so I guess ours may be bigger).

Interesting how many people are asking for references... I would think most of your neighbors could recommend someone and the guy is already in your area. I'll try to get the info this weekend.

Thanks, IHO.  I would appreciate the recommendation.  Unfortunately for us, most of my neighbors are avid gardeners and do their own yard work.  Either that or they just got fed up with dealing with others to do it.  With two kids at age two and under and both of us working full-time, we haven't gotten there yet.

bones,

You pay $65/month to have a gardener come out every week? Could you please provide us w/ his name and contact info (or PM it to me)?

We currently pay our gardener $60/month to come every other week. We inherited the gardener from the prior owner, and he services at least 4 or 5 homes on our street. When we first moved into the home, our gardener came every week ($100/mo.) but given that our landscaping is limited, we thought that having a gardener come every week was unnecessary.

At some point in the future, I am contemplating buying an electric-powered mower and trimmer and just doing the garden myself. However, we have not yet reached that point.

RibEye said:
At some point in the future, I am contemplating buying an electric-powered mower and trimmer and just doing the garden myself. However, we have not yet reached that point.

i have an electric mower (black and decker) paid about 250 or so for it, use it cut our 10x20 patch of grass the dogs use in our yard. no maintenance, takes like 5 minutes to cut the grass - ive had it for eight months so its pretty much paid for itself. i thought about getting a gardener but the front of the house just needs maintenance every couple of months (just plants) and since the grass takes 5 minutes i thought it was ridiculous to get a gardener (but when im out in the front taking out weeds and trimming plants i does make me re-consider getting one).

qwerty,

Thanks for the input!

The mowing itself looked simple enough (I also contemplated getting the B&D mower from Home Depot). However, it's the trimming that looks a bit more intimidating. Our gardener trims up the ivy in the back, and also trims our rose bushes and other miscellaneous plants and it looks like a lot more work than I am comfortable doing (at this time). I am sure though that I'll get there eventually. Having just undergone some renovation at our home, I'm a little burnt out from any new home projects. Heck, I've been putting off changing out the fiberglass screens for our windows for several weeks now.

qwerty said:
RibEye said:

i have an electric mower (black and decker) paid about 250 or so for it, use it cut our 10x20 patch of grass the dogs use in our yard. no maintenance, takes like 5 minutes to cut the grass - ive had it for eight months so its pretty much paid for itself. i thought about getting a gardener but the front of the house just needs maintenance every couple of months (just plants) and since the grass takes 5 minutes i thought it was ridiculous to get a gardener (but when im out in the front taking out weeds and trimming plants i does make me re-consider getting one).
That's because YOU *are* a gardener.

PM me for qwerter's info... he's the guy I was talking about.

(just kidding)

Sorry... still haven't been able to get my neighbor's gardener info... and I've asked them twice... maybe they don't want to share?

I've tried to be there when the gardener gets there but since he comes on Saturday afternoon, we are usually out looking at model homes/open houses and last weekend we were out of town.

I'll try again this Saturday.

We actually found a flyer for gardening service outside the house and have this person now coming to service our garden.  He has been good so far and shows up on the date/time we asked for.  He is also quite reasonably priced.  We'll see how well this goes.

Back