Recommendation for a Plumber?

I had someone come out and redo my fire pit and bbq island 4 months ago.  I'll try to dig out his number for you when I get home.

irvinehomeshopper said:
You fit both into a yard?
homer_simpson said:
I had someone come out and redo my fire pit and bbq island 4 months ago.  I'll try to dig out his number for you when I get home.

Yep.  I have one on each end of my backyard.  :-\

I'm trying out a new handyman I found. He does list gas BBQ assembly and hookups if you review the homepage. I'll be using him this Saturday instead of the last one I used and posted about here on T.I.  This "new" (old) guy I found services all of Irvine where most of his work is. He's been working in Irvine and surrounding area for over 30 years. I just got off the phone with him to set up my appointment. He's less expensive at $55 an hour even when he brings another man along. (If I recall correctly, the last man was $65/hr for 1 man and $110 for 2 guys). What's nice is this man, Bob George, works every-other Saturday. Most handymen don't work any Saturdays. Here is his website.

Handyman Bob George
949-581-2131

irvinenewbie said:
Thanks, please let me know how you end up liking his work.

I just received a PM from a different member asking about Bob. That reminded me to come here and make a follow-up post.

After my last post, I had a Saturday appointment with Bob. He had suggested doing it after his other appointments were complete that way we wouldn't be rushed. It turned out to be a great idea. We were able to do a consultation of sorts to familiarize him with our house and for him to make suggestions on that day's repairs and future repairs. The part about future repairs was somewhat of a surprise to us. We had just purchased this house and had a home inspection at the time. It turns out Bob found a lot of things our home inspector missed. I was not very happy about that but thankful I had someone with enough experience to recognize the problems. (Btw, I did not get the feeling he was trying to up-sell me. He was very good at explaining what my options were and where on the scale or urgency they were - high or low.)

So, after he took a look, Bob repairs all of my interior doors which he showed me were never properly hung to begin with when the previous owner "upgraded" them. I use the word upgrade loosely. Bob actually re-fixed these from what Steve The Handyman had done before. I thought Steve had done a good job at the time but Bob did a better job. When Steve was unable to fix one of my doors, he chalked it up to the door being warped. Bob got his tools out and showed me the door was not warped and could be fixed, which he did.

The other aspect about the "consultation", as I call it. Steve had called me before his visit so I could explain to him over the phone what exactly we needed done. Well, I don't exactly know my way around the house in that manner and couldn't give him all the info he needed. I really do not like doing it that way. Bob didn't ask me to do that. He took a look in person. Also, Steve was very rushed and dropped the ball a bit. I asked him to pick up a part at Home Depot. He ended up saying he would do it and did not but I didn't find out until he got here. By that time it was too late for me to go get it myself. Bob, on the other hand, came with a fully stocked truck. I did provide my own part this time but he also had some in his vehicle. He took his time with our repairs. I asked him lots of questions. He had a really good attitude - not condescending at all like I felt some "other" handymen might have been.

Bob was very good at taking his time to teach me what was wrong with some parts of the house and what he recommended we do and why. I'm one of those nosy people who likes to be clued in as it's my house, my money, and I want to make sure we are making an informed decision here. He did not seem irritated in the least bit. He was very helpful and a nice man. He taught me a lot.

His wife is also a teacher at Stonegate, by the way. I believe she teaches K or 1.

So, yeah, Bob will definitely be the first guy I call next time I need something done. My only concern is he's an older guy and I hope he doesn't retire any time soon!! I like that he's older, though, because in this case it meant he came with a ton of life experience & knowledge. Even though I originally only had him over to do one type of job, once I realized the scope of what he knew, I began showing him other things and throwing out random questions of which he had answers for right away. He made a lot of good suggestions.

Did I leave anything out? If you have any questions, let me know.

Necro because of the plumbing post... has anyone else used Bob The Builder... err... Handyman?

Does he do electrical? Like changing light switches?

Back