Realtor for Renting

Hello All,

Do I need a realtor to put our house for rent in Irvine.

If so what is industry standard, like commission on rental properties.

Thanks, appreciate your help.

OC_relocation said:
Hello All,

Do I need a realtor to put our house for rent in Irvine.

If so what is industry standard, like commission on rental properties.

Thanks, appreciate your help.

You don't need a realtor to list your property for rent.  You can list it yourself on sites like craigslist.  Listing with an agent will put your property on MLS which will put it on the all real estate rental websites (Trulia, Zillow, HotPads, Realtor.com, etc).  I list my own rental properties on MLS too because I tend to get better exposure and potential tenants versus listing it on craigslist.  The commission for listing a property for rent with an agent will typically cost 5-6% of the annual rental amount (split between the listing agent and tenant agent).  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Watch out for scams. People have been known to lift posts from CL and change the number and they lower the asking rent substantially. Then they claim to be out of state and want you to mail a deposit/1st month rent for the keys. It sort of looks legit because most likely there would be a "for rent" sign on the property and they tell you to just go there and look at it from the outside.

Just do some periodic searches for the address of your property. You should be able to identify any posts that did not originate from you.

I use www.Postlets.com, it's free and is owned by Zillow.

It will list your rental on Zillow, Hotpads, Yahoo Homes, Trulia and MSN and other websites.

It can also generate the HTML for you to list on Craigslist.

Vinster's post is a great suggestion.
It's also part of the cause of the problems that peppy mentioned.

Since anyone can now post unverified information, it's made zillow/trulia's info just slightly better than the garbage that craigslist has become.

-IR2

Vinster said:
I use www.Postlets.com, it's free and is owned by Zillow.

It will list your rental on Zillow, Hotpads, Yahoo Homes, Trulia and MSN and other websites.

It can also generate the HTML for you to list on Craigslist.

Back