Reaching out to my fellow IHBers for some help

Hey guys and gals, I'm currently working with a few finance/accounting search firms on landing a job in finance or accounting field. I worked at one of the Big 6 CPA firms for 3.5+ years and will be obtaining my CPA by this summer as I have all my hours and sign-offs. The problem is that after finishing my MBA in 2005 I took a detour from finance/accounting and have been working in the banking industry which will hamper me getting my foot in the foot even for an interview for a lot of accounting/finance jobs (looking to get back in as a senior accountant or senior financial analyst). The search firms told me that even if I picked up some temp/project/consultanting work even for 2-3 months that will help me out a lot in getting my foot in the door for a full-time job (they'll also be helping me find a temp/contract job).

So my question is if any of you need some or know of someone/some company that may need an experienced Brojan accountant/analyst for some temp/project/consulting work at a very reasonable rate? Just let me know where to send my resume over. Thanks in advance.

In all seriousness, I imagine the FDIC is going to need massive amounts of help. Your skill set seems to be inline with their job postings.

<a href="https://jobs1.quickhire.com/scripts/fdic.exe/runuserinfo?Haveusedbefore=5">link</a>

[quote author="Oscar" date=1233225348]In all seriousness, I imagine the FDIC is going to need massive amounts of help. Your skill set seems to be inline with their job postings.

<a href="https://jobs1.quickhire.com/scripts/fdic.exe/runuserinfo?Haveusedbefore=5">link</a></blockquote>
I'm way ahead of you Oscar. I've already posted my resume up on the FDIC site. One LITTLE problem....they will only hire someone who has or is working for government agency unless they expand the hiring criteria (I've already seen some of the prerequisites for jobs at the Irvine location). But honestly, I'm looking to get back into accounting/finance so getting back into a banking type job wouldn't help.

Trojan,

I wish i could do something to help you, but unfortunately my industry is not in finance/accounting. My wife is in the industry, but she is based in Chicago so she doesn't know anyone in OC. I know that is must be really tough for you in this economy and just want to encourage you to not give up and continue to search in every place you possibly can. I'm sure that someone here at the IHB works in the area of finance/accounting and would be able to help you. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

It'll suck in the beginning, but after a year or two of new experience, you should move up the A&F food chain quickly. CPA/MBA combos with experience at large public are always in high demand. Problem is that you probably wouldn't know a JE if it hit you upside the head right now... You need some gritty practical experience my friend. I PMed you back BTW.

SOX, SEC, and manufacturing experience are what the OC A&F population is lacking. Recruiters are always trying to hit me up for people in my network like that.

Are you interested in going back to the Big 4 grind? Are you locked into OC, or flexible to LA or SD? Although it is <em>really</em> tight now, as I am sure you remember there are always a couple open reqs held for each service line (Audit/Tax/Advisory) in the event the right person comes along. PM if want me to shop your resume around my Firm.

It sounds like you left public accounting as a second year senior. I would recommend going back to the big 4. If they start you out as a first year or second year senior you will be a manage in two or three years. Then you can leave after a year as a manager and have your pick of jobs probably at the controller level. That is a much faster way of advancing your career. If you start out as a senior accountant, it will take much longer to reach a controller type role. I left public accounting as a second year manager and was a controller at the age of 29 and now a director at a public company at the age of 31.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1233242820]It sounds like you left public accounting as a second year senior. I would recommend going back to the big 4. If they start you out as a first year or second year senior you will be a manage in two or three years. Then you can leave after a year as a manager and have your pick of jobs probably at the controller level. That is a much faster way of advancing your career. If you start out as a senior accountant, it will take much longer to reach a controller type role. I left public accounting as a second year manager and was a controller at the age of 29 and now a director at a public company at the age of 31.</blockquote>

If I had to do all over again, that's exactly what I'd do. Hang in big (or at least large regional) public until early manager level and bail out to a controller gig after that. Took me 11 years to get to that level going private all the way through and I'm locked into smaller companies going forward due to my lack of public experience...

I was never cut out for Big 6 though, as it was back then, and fortunately realized that during my interviews at DT and EY. The work just isn't hands on enough for me. I didn't have a single meeting or conference call today and got to spend my time reforecasting Q1, installing and migrating our accounting system up a version, and troubleshooting some hardware problems on the new domain controller I recently built out for our office. Ah, the joys of small companies!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1233230808]It'll suck in the beginning, but after a year or two of new experience, you should move up the A&F food chain quickly. CPA/MBA combos with experience at large public are always in high demand. Problem is that you probably wouldn't know a JE if it hit you upside the head right now... You need some gritty practical experience my friend. I PMed you back BTW.

SOX, SEC, and manufacturing experience are what the OC A&F population is lacking. Recruiters are always trying to hit me up for people in my network like that.</blockquote>
You'd be suprised, but I'm still very familiar with JE and Debits and Credits plus as I'm gonna be studying for the CPA exam (via live review courses) so it'll make it that much more second hand to me. But yeah, I'm willing to bite the bullet in terms of pay and position to get back on the A&F road because I know I can move up quickly with good performance. I'm checking your PM now.

[quote author="CK" date=1233239349]Are you interested in going back to the Big 4 grind? Are you locked into OC, or flexible to LA or SD? Although it is <em>really</em> tight now, as I am sure you remember there are always a couple open reqs held for each service line (Audit/Tax/Advisory) in the event the right person comes along. PM if want me to shop your resume around my Firm.</blockquote>
Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting back into the Big 4 grind if it meant increasing my chances of getting back of getting an A&F job down the line. I actually enjoyed my time at PwC even with the busy seasons. I'm flexible in terms of job locations, especially all over Southern California. Check your PM.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1233228910]Trojan,

I wish i could do something to help you, but unfortunately my industry is not in finance/accounting. My wife is in the industry, but she is based in Chicago so she doesn't know anyone in OC. I know that is must be really tough for you in this economy and just want to encourage you to not give up and continue to search in every place you possibly can. I'm sure that someone here at the IHB works in the area of finance/accounting and would be able to help you. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.</blockquote>
No need to be sorry Panda. I just hit the pavement looking for a job the past few weeks after the holidays. I just need to get my foot in the door even on a temp gig.

Craigslist?

<a href="http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/acc/">http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/acc/</a>

Temporary positions can show up in one moment notice.

(probably you already know about this, just in case that you haven't seen it recently)

I'm a Senior Financial Analyst currently getting my MBA at USC, why not contact the CRC? I know they primarily help current students find jobs, but it sounds like they would also be willing to help an alum. They publish a job matrix which has positions from entry level to c-level, if you contact them, I'm sure they can add you to mailing list.

fight on! goodluck

Have you looked into internal audit? Several companies hiring in the area. Take a look at the OC chapter of <a href="http://www.theiia.org">IIA</a>.

[quote author="brealiving" date=1233329028]Have you looked into internal audit? Several companies hiring in the area. Take a look at the OC chapter of <a href="http://www.theiia.org">IIA</a>.</blockquote>

Companies are always hiring for IA positions... I left it off my earlier list of hard-to-find always in demand A&F gigs but it's definitely one of them.

Back