RCs tips for getting to know your Irvine neighbors

There has been a lot of talk about getting to <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5838/">know your neighbors</a>. I just thought I write about a few things what worked for me as far as getting to know some of our Irvine neighbors. The story Grace told about their experience living in Irvine really saddens me. My heart actually breaks over stories like that! I written before, yes, Irvine can be <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5221/">crushingly lonely</a>. I also see it; this city has the potential to become so much more. I agree with CK a lot of families are just trying to work and make ends meet; let alone host <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5221/">get-togethers </a>and <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5408/">help others</a>?

I wanted to list a few simple basic interpersonal techniques that I use daily; I just hope that you might come to know and experience community where you live. I really hope this helps to spark some neighborly relationships.

Get out of the house ? Go outside, I know the IHB is great, but you will never meet anybody staying inside your house. At the very least, go out to your IAC balcony/patio. Guys, go hang out and clean your garages. Do some landscaping, gardening or just sit out on your porch if you have one.

Go lounge by the pool, say hello to a fellow family if you see kids of similar age. Taking a <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5652/">walk </a>is my personal favorite. I vary my walks at different times of the day on different days. I see at least 3-5 people everyday on most walks. Waive with an open hand to everyone you see while walking or while driving in your car. I know BTW all our IAC maintenance workers by their first name.

<strong>Conversation</strong>

Here are a few conversation topics that you can use to initiate contact.

Talk about the kids/pets ? People love talking about their children. This is like the easiest conversation piece.

Talk about your work ? This is an easy one for guys. Guys love to size each one up immediately. I always say, I?m just a sales guy, to put others instantly at ease. Guys in Irvine usually feel pretty good about themselves after they hear that.

Talk about hobbies/interests/cars ? Another easy one for guys. There are always clues, their attire (T-Shirts are a dead give away); the garage is the jack-pot of interests. Do you see bikes, golf clubs, scuba gear a surf board? If you don?t know about a hobby, say you see a unicycle, ask them about it. How did you come to learn unicycle? How long have you been riding it?

Talk about <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5682/">travels </a>? People also love talking about their travels. They spend big bucks to journey to far reaches of the globe and they love to tell how interesting they have became.

Good rules of thumb are commonalities ? Safe conversation topics are things that the both of you share. A share experience, a shared situation or a shared environment; why do you think the weather is such good small talk? People love to be understood; people love to feel that they belong, and if you can make someone feel that you are in the same boat then you made an instant connection.

Another good rule of thumb is to ask for help - People love to be helpful and productive. My wife simply has been known to hand off our crying son to acquaintances that live across the hall; we?ve became good friends through the process. A simple request or task can product an unexpected reaction. You might think people might get annoyed, or inconvenienced; instead neighbors are even more willing to help again the next time. I?ve knocked a few doors for that old cup of sugar, cork-screw wine opener, detergent and milk.

Irvinites love to feel independent, but that is not how life is meant to be lived, we ask for help in order to help others. Always make sure to return the favor.

A version of asking for help is soliciting an opinion ? People also love to tell you their opinions. I often ask people on subjects that I know little about. Again, I recall a neighbor going off to paint-ball on a Saturday. That was an interesting conversation. Again, people are all too willing to tell you their stories, hobbies and interests.

<strong>Gifts</strong>

In response to Grace?s hostile neighbor situation; a gift can start to smooth over any miscommunications. Remember Asians are really bad when it comes to interpersonal relationships. They might be great at math, computers, medicine and law, but they are terrible when it comes to relating to others. A few 85? or JJ?s pastries would go a long way to extend an olive branch. Fruit and vegetables also go a long way. A $3 case of Asian pairs, mangos earns you bonus points. Now bring a ripe pineapple, you?re all of a sudden the generous neighbor!

I love asking or calling a neighbor while running out for errands; hey, I?m going to Costco, do you need anything? They will refuse; but after asking, you can?t just leave it open ended like that; you have to ?close? them; do you want me to pick you up a rotisserie chicken, some salad or a bag of chips? Refuse to accept their money for the groceries, and just watch the blessings flow.

There is this saying; you can?t out give God. Well we are also finding that we can?t out give our neighbors! There is another saying, those that take and receive well; also give and bless others well in return. We love receiving and being blessed, because it gives us an excuse to give, serve and return the favor. I used to have a hard time receiving, I would feel this overwhelming guilt; maybe because at the time I was a bad giver.

<strong>Attitude</strong>

I love people; each individual is unique and interesting. Even if you are the dullest person on Earth I will still find something interesting about you. I love meeting and developing relationships. There is just so much to learn from any one individual.

One good thing I?ve learned in life is to ask great questions. It comes from that natural desire to learn about people and see how they tick. I?ve learned to boldly ask, multi-millionaires the secrets to their success, janitors what makes them so happy, celebrities on how they handle popularity, and CEOs on how they maintain character and integrity. Through it all, it?s that attitude that when I?m talking to a neighbor, no one else exists; I?m totally focused and engrossed in their story.

<strong>Being Vulnerable</strong>

Lastly be vulnerable ? be willing to share first about <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5551/">personal details </a>. That is one sure way to open up the relationships. And always, this is the toughest thing to do as guys, but just listen, listen, listen?

<strong>Our Neighbors?</strong>

We personally know five <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5624/">immediate neighbors </a>with a five minute walk. These are families that we can drop by ANYTIME. These are other families with recession babies born this year. These are families that we share our current life stage struggles with. My wife often times, simply calls in transit; sometime times these moms are busy and can?t visit, sometimes my wife is busy. But that is the relationship they have. I?ve wrote many times how I come out of our little bedroom to find unexpected quests.

I?ll just share a couple of recent stories of our neighbors and I?m done. My wife was recently sick in bed with a stomach bug. It was late afternoon on a Sunday evening. We just put the kid down. I ate but my wife hadn?t; I wanted to leave to get some food, but didn?t want to leave her in case baby woke up. She called a mom from church at Woodbury Place; she also just put her kids down. She immediately rushed to Ralph?s, and bough almost $50 worth of groceries. All we asked for was just Gatorade, bananas and sparking water. She ended up buying a whole chicken for me, yogurt, bagels, cereal, fruit and vegetables along with our requests. She completely refused our money. She also baby-sat our son a couple of times now. We are completely blessed to have them in our life.

In the past few weeks, I?ve help cut the finger/toe nails a neighbor?s infant son. The mom was having such a hard time with that. I took out the trash of a mom whose husband was out of town. We are going to watch and cat-sit another neighbor who will be leaving on vacation.

It?s 8:05 on a Saturday morning, as I?m typing right now. The baby was already up, and we already had breakfast over at our spiritual parent?s house this morning. They live over at the Lauralwood community is Tustin. These are the rich relationships that give life meaning, purpose and joy. Later tomorrow for lunch, our immediate neighbor down the hall has invited us to a BBQ down by the pool. Panda and I spoke this week, if I had the choice to live in a huge estate up in Newport Coast somewhere where neighbors never see each other and never share life together or live in a small one-bedroom IAC with genuine community; it would chose the IAC in a heart beat?

Accidental planning promotes better community interaction.

West Irvine was a community designed without much thoughts. At the end of the street there is no neighborhood parks. One street literally 2 houses were removed to create a an awkward focal point. The entire neighborhood shares only one recreation facility. Streets were just a left over thought after maximizing lots. Some edge tracts were all accidental short dead culdesac that people love because they have become safe and defensible space.

Without studying the traffic flow and distribution the most narrow street Robinson is the busiest. The accidental happy accident is the slower street caused the drivers to drive slowly and safer. A street without speeding cars is the street people like to use for walking and make eye contact with drivers. Another accidental benefit is the street connection to Tustin Sports Park. By virtue of having no park amenity the park across Jamboree became the gathering place for neighbors. Kids play, people walk their pets, neighbor jog and walk around the outer trail of the park.

Neighbors are seen walking along the community main artery road and this is very rare. During the morning, after 5pm, and after dinner residents attend to their religious habit of walking to this park. The opportunity to greet, see, making eye contact, talk and chat among neighbors are the surprising result of planning oversights.

The newer master plan looks perfect and beautiful on drawings just like that amazing modern house jutting off the the Hollywood cliff. Do people really live in a precise order or actually feel much more relax in a bit of a not so organized communities like West Irvine.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249778490]

West Irvine was a community designed without much thoughts. At the end of the street there is no neighborhood parks. One street literally 2 houses were removed to create a an awkward focal point. The entire neighborhood shares only one recreation facility. </blockquote>

What about Homestead Park? I think it counts as a recreation facility (tot lot, tennis courts) in addition to the Tustin Sports Complex and is at the end of residential streets.

Which street did they remove two houses from for the awkward focal point? I will have to look for it next time I am there.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1249769775]There has been a lot of talk about getting to <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5838/">know your neighbors</a>. I just thought I write about a few things what worked for me as far as getting to know some of our Irvine neighbors. The story Grace told about their experience living in Irvine really saddens me. My heart actually breaks over stories like that! I written before, yes, Irvine can be <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5221/">crushingly lonely</a>. I also see it; this city has the potential to become so much more. I agree with CK a lot of families are just trying to work and make ends meet; let alone host <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5221/">get-togethers </a>and <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5408/">help others</a>?

I wanted to list a few simple basic interpersonal techniques that I use daily; I just hope that you might come to know and experience community where you live. I really hope this helps to spark some neighborly relationships.

Get out of the house ? Go outside, I know the IHB is great, but you will never meet anybody staying inside your house. At the very least, go out to your IAC balcony/patio. Guys, go hang out and clean your garages. Do some landscaping, gardening or just sit out on your porch if you have one.

Go lounge by the pool, say hello to a fellow family if you see kids of similar age. Taking a <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5652/">walk </a>is my personal favorite. I vary my walks at different times of the day on different days. I see at least 3-5 people everyday on most walks. Waive with an open hand to everyone you see while walking or while driving in your car. I know BTW all our IAC maintenance workers by their first name.

<strong>Conversation</strong>

Here are a few conversation topics that you can use to initiate contact.

Talk about the kids/pets ? People love talking about their children. This is like the easiest conversation piece.

Talk about your work ? This is an easy one for guys. Guys love to size each one up immediately. I always say, I?m just a sales guy, to put others instantly at ease. Guys in Irvine usually feel pretty good about themselves after they hear that.

Talk about hobbies/interests/cars ? Another easy one for guys. There are always clues, their attire (T-Shirts are a dead give away); the garage is the jack-pot of interests. Do you see bikes, golf clubs, scuba gear a surf board? If you don?t know about a hobby, say you see a unicycle, ask them about it. How did you come to learn unicycle? How long have you been riding it?

Talk about <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5682/">travels </a>? People also love talking about their travels. They spend big bucks to journey to far reaches of the globe and they love to tell how interesting they have became.

Good rules of thumb are commonalities ? Safe conversation topics are things that the both of you share. A share experience, a shared situation or a shared environment; why do you think the weather is such good small talk? People love to be understood; people love to feel that they belong, and if you can make someone feel that you are in the same boat then you made an instant connection.

Another good rule of thumb is to ask for help - People love to be helpful and productive. My wife simply has been known to hand off our crying son to acquaintances that live across the hall; we?ve became good friends through the process. A simple request or task can product an unexpected reaction. You might think people might get annoyed, or inconvenienced; instead neighbors are even more willing to help again the next time. I?ve knocked a few doors for that old cup of sugar, cork-screw wine opener, detergent and milk.

Irvinites love to feel independent, but that is not how life is meant to be lived, we ask for help in order to help others. Always make sure to return the favor.

A version of asking for help is soliciting an opinion ? People also love to tell you their opinions. I often ask people on subjects that I know little about. Again, I recall a neighbor going off to paint-ball on a Saturday. That was an interesting conversation. Again, people are all too willing to tell you their stories, hobbies and interests.

<strong>Gifts</strong>

In response to Grace?s hostile neighbor situation; a gift can start to smooth over any miscommunications. Remember Asians are really bad when it comes to interpersonal relationships. They might be great at math, computers, medicine and law, but they are terrible when it comes to relating to others. A few 85? or JJ?s pastries would go a long way to extend an olive branch. Fruit and vegetables also go a long way. A $3 case of Asian pairs, mangos earns you bonus points. Now bring a ripe pineapple, you?re all of a sudden the generous neighbor!

I love asking or calling a neighbor while running out for errands; hey, I?m going to Costco, do you need anything? They will refuse; but after asking, you can?t just leave it open ended like that; you have to ?close? them; do you want me to pick you up a rotisserie chicken, some salad or a bag of chips? Refuse to accept their money for the groceries, and just watch the blessings flow.

There is this saying; you can?t out give God. Well we are also finding that we can?t out give our neighbors! There is another saying, those that take and receive well; also give and bless others well in return. We love receiving and being blessed, because it gives us an excuse to give, serve and return the favor. I used to have a hard time receiving, I would feel this overwhelming guilt; maybe because at the time I was a bad giver.

<strong>Attitude</strong>

I love people; each individual is unique and interesting. Even if you are the dullest person on Earth I will still find something interesting about you. I love meeting and developing relationships. There is just so much to learn from any one individual.

One good thing I?ve learned in life is to ask great questions. It comes from that natural desire to learn about people and see how they tick. I?ve learned to boldly ask, multi-millionaires the secrets to their success, janitors what makes them so happy, celebrities on how they handle popularity, and CEOs on how they maintain character and integrity. Through it all, it?s that attitude that when I?m talking to a neighbor, no one else exists; I?m totally focused and engrossed in their story.

<strong>Being Vulnerable</strong>

Lastly be vulnerable ? be willing to share first about <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5551/">personal details </a>. That is one sure way to open up the relationships. And always, this is the toughest thing to do as guys, but just listen, listen, listen?</blockquote>

Wow! Awgee writes a master-piece yesterday on "When is the right time to buy a home" and RC, you write this master-piece on "Authentic Relationships and Doing Life together". There is absolutley no way Panda can top this one. There is a lot to be learned from what you have written even in my personal life as I am weak in several of those areas. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this one.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249778490]Accidental planning promotes better community interaction.

West Irvine was a community designed without much thoughts. At the end of the street there is no neighborhood parks. One street literally 2 houses were removed to create a an awkward focal point. The entire neighborhood shares only one recreation facility. Streets were just a left over thought after maximizing lots. Some edge tracts were all accidental short dead culdesac that people love because they have become safe and defensible space.

Without studying the traffic flow and distribution the most narrow street Robinson is the busiest. The accidental happy accident is the slower street caused the drivers to drive slowly and safer. A street without speeding cars is the street people like to use for walking and make eye contact with drivers. Another accidental benefit is the street connection to Tustin Sports Park. By virtue of having no park amenity the park across Jamboree became the gathering place for neighbors. Kids play, people walk their pets, neighbor jog and walk around the outer trail of the park.

Neighbors are seen walking along the community main artery road and this is very rare. During the morning, after 5pm, and after dinner residents attend to their religious habit of walking to this park. The opportunity to greet, see, making eye contact, talk and chat among neighbors are the surprising result of planning oversights.

The newer master plan looks perfect and beautiful on drawings just like that amazing modern house jutting off the the Hollywood cliff. Do people really live in a precise order or actually feel much more relax in a bit of a not so organized communities like West Irvine.</blockquote>

There goes that hidden camera again. About 7:30pm this evening the daughter and I started our semi-ritual father/daugther walk down Cliffwood to Homestead Park. And after a few slides and a lesson on how tennis scoring works, back up Robinson to home. You are right...People walking in and out of Homestead park from every direction with dogs, kids, pool accessories, even as daylight was almost gone. Tennis courts completely full and people waiting. At least 25-30 evening party types at the pool area. Homestead does feel like a little town square. Not as fancy as those Woodbury or Northpark parks, but I wonder if they are as highly utilized. We probably said hi to 10 different people during our 8 block or so round trip stroll. Unfortunately I did not bump into my favorite West Irvine realtor and his dog tonight. I love this happy accident of a neighborhood.

When we were looking at some Wisteria homes on Copper Leaf, we notices that little park on Comstock & Countryside? Right? The one with a little basketball court, and some tables... Does anybody ever use it? Also,,, this is more on the Tustin Ranch side, but I also noticed that they are building some park structure on that Orange Orchard on Portola and Jamboree, does anybody know how that is going?

[quote author="CK" date=1249815943][quote author="bkshopr" date=1249778490]Accidental planning promotes better community interaction.

The newer master plan looks perfect and beautiful on drawings just like that amazing modern house jutting off the the Hollywood cliff. Do people really live in a precise order or actually feel much more relax in a bit of a not so organized communities like West Irvine.</blockquote>

It is not the hidden cameras. Mrs CK has been coaching me of what to write so I sound like a hero.

There goes that hidden camera again. About 7:30pm this evening the daughter and I started our semi-ritual father/daugther walk down Cliffwood to Homestead Park. And after a few slides and a lesson on how tennis scoring works, back up Robinson to home. You are right...People walking in and out of Homestead park from every direction with dogs, kids, pool accessories, even as daylight was almost gone. Tennis courts completely full and people waiting. At least 25-30 evening party types at the pool area. Homestead does feel like a little town square. Not as fancy as those Woodbury or Northpark parks, but I wonder if they are as highly utilized. We probably said hi to 10 different people during our 8 block or so round trip stroll. Unfortunately I did not bump into my favorite West Irvine realtor and his dog tonight. I love this happy accident of a neighborhood.</blockquote>

Back