Rate home builders

rickr

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being best, 10 being worst, how would you rate the current crop of home builders.
You can consider construction quality, ease to work with and ability to stay above water (Will be arround in 10 years).

As an example: (This is not my rating, just a sample)

1- Standard Pacific
2- Taylor Morrison
3- Van Daele
4- Lennar
5- Toll Brothers
6- ****
7- ****
8- ****
9- ****
10- KB Home

I think everyone would rate KB Home last.

rickr said:
rexmiller said:
Van Daele at #3?  Ha ha, I smell a Van Daele employee!

Read my post again!

As an example: (This is not my rating, just a sample)

Right, I don't understand why you felt it was necessary to post an example of how to rate the builders, we understand the concept and theory behind top ten lists. Furthermore, if it's just a sample, why would you confuse those reading by rating your top builder and your lowest builder but than state that everything in between is arbitrary. 

Start over and repost a list with your subjective ranking which we will tear apart and ultimately come to the conclusion that this is a waste of time because homebuilding is not only a regional business but also buying a new home is a subjective, individual experience to which generalities no longer really apply.

So who's better Metallica or Guns n' Roses? ;)

Van Daele would not be high on this list cause they were/are a riverside builder and are completely unknown in OC.

rexmiller said:
Van Daele would not be high on this list cause they were/are a riverside builder and are completely unknown in OC.
So are they not high on the list because they build in Riverside or because they are completely unknown?

The homes they built in Lake Forest, Summit Crest(?) looked pretty nice.

rexmiller said:
I know rickr and I can verify that he is not a Van Daele employee...unless he has a side gig I don't know about.  haha

oohhstuftcrust said:
Cal Pac, bottom somewhere...
As Irvine Pacific now... with their current floor plans, maybe.

Some of their older floor plans are good with space efficiency but not all of them were functional.

irvinehomeowner said:
oohhstuftcrust said:
Cal Pac, bottom somewhere...
As Irvine Pacific now... with their current floor plans, maybe.

Some of their older floor plans are good with space efficiency but not all of them were functional.

Just based off experiences with my current Cal Pac home that I bought in '02  ;)

USCTrojanCPA said:
rexmiller said:
I know rickr and I can verify that he is not a Van Daele employee...unless he has a side gig I don't know about.  haha

Actually Trojan I am sorry to inform you but I am an undercover TIC agent trying to infiltrate the Talk Irvine user base and attempting to use Psyops to convince all you to overpay for underwhelming products we are releasing in 2011. I can understand if you don't want to work with me anymore.

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

irvinehomeowner said:
oohhstuftcrust said:
Just based off experiences with my current Cal Pac home that I bought in '02  ;)
Can you elaborate without revealing any private information?

Just overall constuction quality... these were the detached courtyard condos that were so ubiquitous at the time.

Major constructions issues are a red flag... but minor ones where the builder is responsive to getting them fixed are okay and happens to all builders.

A relative of mine had an issue with a shower pipe that was leaking. The builder came out, had to repair from the outside (meaning they had to break the external stuccoed wall), patched it up and also did some work on the inside... all at no charge. The amazing part of this story was it was almost 10 years after they had bought it... I should ask them who the builder was.

Taylor Morrison stands out of the pact for me.  Their houses have more character (personal?) and they offer better standard finishes than the other builders of comparable homes.  Van Daele , Shapell, Standard Pacific, and the New Home Company all fall in the middle of the pact.

Van Daele ? I?ve only seen the Lake Forest, Summit Crest homes.  I was expecting some boxy floor plans and the single tone stucco exterior fa?ade.  Instead they use sidings, a cheaper alternative of bricks (and it might even cost less than stucco? a smart move from the builder) to give the house some characters.  The floor plans are also less boxy than comparable homes of other builders.  The finishes in the model homes are little less than stellar (looked like they did a rush job) and I can only hope the actual builder has better quality control.  But, all in all, it?s good value and I was pleasantly surprised.

Shea Homes is my least favorite.  What bothers me the most is that Shea Homes design defies basic architectural principles.  One of their models (that seems to be quite popular in Aliso), the roof lines intersect in a way that ?collects? water.  Maybe this is something you can get away with in places like SoCal with little rain.  Having lived most of my life in the NorthEast, it?s a little unsettling and probably catches my attention more than anything else.

oohhstuftcrust said:
Just overall constuction quality... these were the detached courtyard condos that were so ubiquitous at the time.

Such as bouncy floors, or corners that are not squared?  I've heard a story from someone I know that they wouldn't use curtain rods because the windows (or the drywalls around it) aren't level.  So, a level curtain rod would draw more attention to the "defect".  The builder is Richmond American.

Back