Rancho Santa Margarita

ABC123_IHB

Why does it get such a bad rap? It seems like a nice place to me - lots of trees, quiet but with enough shopping available, families playing in parks, views of the mountains, nice little library. If you don't mind paying the toll road, it's a pretty quick trip to Irvine and it really wasn't as hot as I would expect for the middle of August.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250485303]Why does it get such a bad rap? It seems like a nice place to me - lots of trees, quiet but with enough shopping available, families playing in parks, views of the mountains, nice little library. If you don't mind paying the toll road, it's a pretty quick trip to Irvine and it really wasn't as hot as I would expect for the middle of August.</blockquote>
Add to it very low Mello Roos and HOA fees and that explains why my friends are looking in RSM.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250485303] and it really wasn't as hot as I would expect for the middle of August.</blockquote>

This has been an rather cool summer, and an unseasonably cool August thus far. Temps all over SoCal are several degrees cooler than normal, and we haven't had a truly hot day yet. I wouldn't use an unusually cool summer and the coolest August we've had in years as a gauge. It can get very hot in RSM.

It hasn't been above 80 degrees in RSM for over 10 days!

RSM temps the past few days:

<strong>Friday High 77 degrees, Average High 84 degrees

Saturday High 75 degrees, Average High 84 degrees

Sunday High 74 degrees, Average High 84 degrees</strong>

1) Very far from job centers. There are few ways in and out (that don't involve toll roads). Not a pretty picture during rush hour

2) Relative isolation. Yes there are some nice things to do there, but if you want to go anywhere else (e.g. Irvine) it's far

3) The heat - more inland so typically will be much warmer

4) Houses packed in together - though this is pretty common just about anywhere that's on the newer side

For me, I consider relative isolation to be a positive. Irvine is becoming too crowded with all of the congestion, growing crime and traffic problems of a big city but with none of the benefits.

I forgot to add, another thing I noticed about Rancho Santa Margarita is that the people seemed more down to earth and friendly. I know you really can't tell from spending an afternoon in a city, but it was nice going to shops and seeing friendly people and not ones with big frowns on their faces who don't seem to want to bother to help you. Also the drivers were much more courteous than the ones around Irvine, not tailgating you, racing you to the red light, trying to run you over when you're in the shopping center walking to your car.

I had a coworker who lived in RSM (moved to Colorado now). He lived his whole life until now in Orange County. He loved it in RSM and said the schools were good, the neighbors are very friendly (they all actually knew each other.) and to go to the spectrum, etc. it was not a long drive. He was actually trying to find another place in RSM to buy again (he sold at the peak and held out), but he found a great opportunity in CO so he went.

He was trying to convince me to move to RSM but I don't want to live that far inland (I am being spoiled).

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250549555]For me, I consider relative isolation to be a positive. Irvine is becoming too crowded with all of the congestion, growing crime and traffic problems of a big city but with none of the benefits.

I forgot to add, another thing I noticed about Rancho Santa Margarita is that the people seemed more down to earth and friendly. I know you really can't tell from spending an afternoon in a city, but it was nice going to shops and seeing friendly people and not ones with big frowns on their faces who don't seem to want to bother to help you. Also the drivers were much more courteous than the ones around Irvine, not tailgating you, racing you to the red light, trying to run you over when you're in the shopping center walking to your car.</blockquote>
You are totally right, I've been out to RSM showing some homes to my friend several times and noticed the same thing about people being nicer than in Irvine. It really seems like a decent place to live. I have an MLS search set up for her and I'm seeing nice newer homes selling for $260-$280/sf with Mello Roos of about $1,000-$1,500/yr.

The primary reasons people chose not to live in Rancho Santa Margarita are because of the heat (yes, it does get very got out there), schools are slightly below average, and the distance from work and social spots, even with the toll roads. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the beach, 20-25 minutes to the spectrum, etc...

I like RSM and I see why many other people do too. It just depends on your price range. I would rather live in a nice house in RSM than a nice condo in Irvine, Newport, or Laguna that is priced the same.

I think it's funny how people say that the biggest negative for Rancho Santa Margarita is that it is to far inland but they can't wait for Orchard Hills to be built. Google maps says it's about 18 miles from Orchard Hills to Newport and 17-18 miles from Rancho Santa Margarita to Dana Point or Laguna Beach. The same people seem to love (non-existent) Orchard Hills and hate Portola Springs. I don't get it.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250635050]I think it's funny how people say that the biggest negative for Rancho Santa Margarita is that it is to far inland but they can't wait for Orchard Hills to be built. Google maps says it's about 18 miles from Orchard Hills to Newport and 17-18 miles from Rancho Santa Margarita to Dana Point or Laguna Beach. The same people seem to love (non-existent) Orchard Hills and hate Portola Springs. I don't get it.</blockquote>

My personal preference is just west of the 405.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250635050]I think it's funny how people say that the biggest negative for Rancho Santa Margarita is that it is to far inland but they can't wait for Orchard Hills to be built. Google maps says it's about 18 miles from Orchard Hills to Newport and 17-18 miles from Rancho Santa Margarita to Dana Point or Laguna Beach. The same people seem to love (non-existent) Orchard Hills and hate Portola Springs. I don't get it.</blockquote>

It is all perception. RSM 18 mile journey is really boring while Orchard Hills 18 mile journey is a lot more pleasant.

Woodbury is 2 miles from the freeway while PS is 2-3/4 miles from the freeway and because the extra 3/4 mile is currently undeveloped and desolate. The approach made a negative impact and arrival perception to PS. This same theory is also applicable to RSM and many other communities.

Here are the significant markers that contributed to the "far" perception of RSM from Irvine.

1. Driving south on the 5 or 405 seeing the Spectrum and the Ferris Wheel marked the first mile stone of leaving a large city.

2. When the two freeways converged into one with traffic congestion in the City of El Toro and Lake Forest.

3. Driving pass the Laguna Hills Mall marked another passing of the old folks city of Laguna Hills and Laguna Woods.

4. The next landmark is the large brick and mortar stores where the Borders is next to the railroad tracks marks the beginning of Mission Viejo

5. Driving up La Paz with ascending grades is a huge landmark leaving the city into suburb.

6. Driving pass Marguerite by the MV library and CPK marked another milestone.

7. Ladera Ranch to the right is another landmark.

8. Crossing over the bridge leaving Trabuco/MV into RSM is a gateway

9. Entering into the Portola Bend over the Toll Road is another landmark.

10. Driving by a bunch of strip centers and the private school is another visual marker.

All these markers and landmarks contributed to the perception of being "FAR"

Do you remember my earlier lessons:

Disneyland is only 1/9 of size of Woodbury but sure felt much larger because of the excessive landmarks.

Here is another trivia for you the distance driving through the Grapevine from Magic Mountain to The IKEA distribution center is the same distance driving from Downtown LA City Hall to the outlet at Carlsbad.

The last time I had gone to Rancho Santa Margarita there was no toll road and I remember it being a painful trip on slow sidestreets, but last weekend when I took the toll road it was a quick and pleasant, direct (albeit expensive) trip.

I vaguely remember when it was built and it seemed like it was considered to be the cheaper part of south orange county for people who couldn't afford Mission Viejo, but now it doesn't seem so bad. Maybe it's all of those spanish street names that turn people off.

Another thing about the weather - I remember having a coworker who lived there and he said it once snowed over christmas. I love the cooler weather in winter and would love to see a light dusting of snow.

One more thing - living close to employment doesn't necessarily mean you will be at work any faster. I remember when I worked five miles from where I lived and it took me thirty minutes going door-to-door because of the long street lights where people were always crossing the street. They probably could have crossed back and forth five times before the light changed. On the other hand, it made me invest in a bicycle which I couldn't always take because I had to drive a night class after work.

I drove from my house in Floral Park to West Irvine and back in 18 minutes. 9 minutes each way and I have many IHB witnesses last Saturday night. What is really funny is that I get to the Tustin District faster than the folks living in Quail Hills and other parts of Irvine and the Real Estate prices here is 50% less and land is 400% more.

Instead of living among the Ching I have to live among the Ching-alos.

I'm an OC native (St. Joe's Hospital - Orange, class of 1961). Grew up in Laguna Beach, and have lived in RSM since 1990. Yes it's hot and sometimes its very cold during the winter. True 4 seasons up there. Most of the homes you find up there have reasonable yards (4-6000sf). The HOA isn't that intrusive. Elementary schools are good. So is the Catholic high school. We could use a few more good restaurants, but I highly recommend living up in the 'heights of RSM. I can still get to Laguna for body surfing in about 20min so the commute isn't that harsh. Plan on spending some cash per month on the toll roads, but I find that for the -10min in commute time and less gas stopping an starting on surface streets it balances out.

My .02c

Remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

SGIP

Before we bought in Mission Viejo, we considered RSM too as my work is there. The following are the reasons that we ended up giving up RSM:

1. Far away from major ?free?ways. Driving via toll road is not an unpleasant experience compared with jammed I-5. But the toll fees can add up quickly as we shop a lot in Irvine for groceries. Now in MV (we are close to the library area) I am happy with the 10 minutes drive to Irvine using I-5 and 405 is convenient too. We also shop in Spectrum or Mission Viejo mall so RSM is a little far for what we need. Also from where we live now the beaches are just 15 minutes driving while in RSM it takes a lot more time.

2. We don?t like paying Mello Roos and high HOA. MV?s property tax rate is just around 1.1% and I believe in RSM you need to pay about 1.6% factoring in Mello Roos.

3. The weather is more extreme like everybody else has said.

4. As RSM is a newer community the yards of houses tend to be smaller than aged MV communities. And the space between houses in RSM is much smaller. We are yard person so we prefer older houses with bigger yard in terms of the same budget.

But of course if you like newer homes you may find RSM more attractive. And RSM has many families with younger children. It is a very family friendly area to live.

Just my thoughts on RSM and why i like it. I have lived here since 1991 before Antonio or even Alicia opened so you had to use EL Toro to get here which is why a lot of people still think its far. But i grew to like the isolation and bought a home in 1997 here. I grew up in Costa Mesa and it was a shock moving to RSM as there was no nightlife etc and very quite. But the difference was trying to hit the supermarket at rush hour or do anything in Costa Mesa, to many people, traffic way out of control,noise and crime and you don't know how bad it was till you don't have to deal with that anymore. What made the difference was a lot of my friends moved out here and the people here are real friendly and you hung out with your neighbors and friends all the time. The other reason i moved here it was central for me as i was selling New tract homes for 2 different builders in South County for these last 16 years up until a year ago as the industry has imploded. I have done new tracts in Coto, Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, RSM, Tustin Ranch, Foothill Ranch and Irvine and watched all these communities grow up. The mello roos and taxes are about the same here as it was always was everywhere at around 2% total tax rate. Older areas built before 1982 don't have Mello Roos but are older areas. The nice thing i like about RSM is there is weather, cold in the winter hot in the summer and with a view of saddleback out my window it has a good feeling. I could tell you all the likes and dislikes selling in south county but i have to say the people who bought homes from me in RSM where the nicest people to work with. Now it is all grown up out here and there are shopping, bars and restaurants and everything you need and you could not force me ever to move back to Costa Mesa.

I (heart) the 241 toll road. Would I like the RSM area as much without it? Maybe not, but it is here. Except for rush 1/2 hour, the traffic is thin, so the drive is so much safer than most freeways and streets in So Cal. As regards the toll, we ain't payin' Mello Roos so ...

And auto insurance is cheaper here.

I think what I like most about the RSM area is the other families. My daughters are meeting and hanging with other kids being raised with the same values and manners. The test scores of good schools are not as important as finding the easiest way possible to direct your kids into the right peer group. A few bucks extra for rent or mortgage now is a lot cheaper and less stressful than drug rehab later.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250485303]Why does it get such a bad rap? It seems like a nice place to me - lots of trees, quiet but with enough shopping available, families playing in parks, views of the mountains, nice little library. If you don't mind paying the toll road, it's a pretty quick trip to Irvine and it really wasn't as hot as I would expect for the middle of August.</blockquote>

Awgee can correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe the infamous Coto Gates were erected to keep the vermin of RSM out. ;)

Delroy

The Coto Gates

On the one hand, at the end of my work day and commute, when I drive through those gates, the rush rush crazy world is left behind. IMO, Coto is beautiful. I instantly relax when I drive through those gates.

On the other hand, they seem elitist. And you have to remember to put your friends name on the gate site.

Our pastor likes to say, "Hell is a gated community."

Back