Quick Local Getaways Suggestions with a Little One

Was wondering if folks have suggestions for quick local getaways (driving distance) for a multi-day trip with a baby (still learning to crawl).

With a little one essentially limited to basic sight-seeing, maybe light hiking, light shopping, and kid friendly eating.

My typical goto is Vegas and basically hanging out in the resort, sampling the food, and walking the strip (all the lights and sounds the little one would love) but beyond that not really going to be a hang over adventure (although they did have a baby with them! :) ).

Other ideas:
- Big Bear?
- Palm Springs?
- San Diego?

Ideas? Be near the end of May and probably be 3-4 days.

Thanks!

Santa Barbara . Los Olivos. Very quiet and relaxing. Beach for the kiddie if you wish. Good hotels have baby sitting services. Go through the local wine country. San Diego works well also. Check Uber's coverage in case you have sampled too much of the local fare.

Honestly if the kid isn't crawling yet and is happy being in a baby carrier and/or stroller, then you can go anywhere you want. The kid won't restrict you that much. I personally avoid SB bc the times I've driven up there have been a pain.  Plus a sub 2 hr car ride is probably more manageable for all involved.

I go with San Diego as well, usually no traffic and possible to do as a daytrip.  LV is ok, just feels weird with a baby in tow.  We've done it and the constant worrying about 2nd hand smoke, seeing the dregs of society treating the city like a toilet makes me hesitate again.  Yes with a baby nothing retains but I do.

Good timing on this thread. I don't have a stroller baby at the moment but was thinking about something similar regarding quick, local get-aways. Mr. SoCal gets 7.5 weeks of paid time off per year. (5 weeks vacation plus 12 holidays). We tend to not like to spend too much time away from home at once. With so much time off and both of us being SoCal natives, I am beginning to struggle with trip ideas, especially ones that aren't redundant... BTDT.

SoCal said:
Good timing on this thread. I don't have a stroller baby at the moment but was thinking about something similar regarding quick, local get-aways. Mr. SoCal gets 7.5 weeks of paid time off per year. (5 weeks vacation plus 12 holidays). We tend to not like to spend too much time away from home at once. With so much time off and both of us being SoCal natives, I am beginning to struggle with trip ideas, especially ones that aren't redundant... BTDT.
7.5 weeks for vacation, that's a lot

Great thread topic.

We did Big Bear with 2 little ones.  It was ok but probably wouldn't do it again. 

Anyone try Solvang?  A couple of my coworkers said its great to go with small children but I checked a couple websites and just wasn't feeling it.

I'm also considering Vegas with the kids.  Maybe just spend a bit more and get a big suite at Bellagio and just hang out on the property most of the time.  Pool, restaurants, room service and watch the fountain.  Still can't decide, part of me says I'll regret it, the other half is saying just try it.

aquabliss said:
Anyone try Solvang?  A couple of my coworkers said its great to go with small children but I checked a couple websites and just wasn't feeling it.

Don't waste your time and go to Solvang. Just buy chocolate at IKEA. That's what you would buy at Solvang.

Did the vegas thing with young kids. It's not so bad but you will be tied to your hotel and it's immediate area for the most part. Not sure how old everyone's kids are but vegas has a new(ish) children's museum about 10 mins off strip. 3 stories of fun and pretty clean. Think pretend cityx1000. It's also more educational and will appeal to slightly older kids than pretend city.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/discovery-childrens-museum-las-vegas

We may do Vegas later as have a conference there later.

So thinking big bear or San Diego on the short list.

What did you end up doing in Big Bear?

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

Don't waste your time and go to Solvang. Just buy chocolate at IKEA. That's what you would buy at Solvang.

...because Danish and Swedish are all the same, just like the Asians.  :p

Back when we just had one that good only crawl he loved staying at resorts with manmade beachs - especially with pebbles instead of sand. That would depend on how much your baby loves water.

You can probably find resorts like that a lot of places around here. San Diego, Palm Springs and Vegas have multiple options. We were in Hawaii at the time and that's another option if you don't mind flying. My family recently found $250 round trip tickets to Hawaii.

Edit to add: I don't see the $250 deal anymore (fares are $600).... was booked a few weeks ago.

7.5 weeks of vacation but a paltry salary that cannot afford an Irvine address, I will pass.

eyephone said:
SoCal said:

aquabliss said:

Yes, I've been several times. I recommend it highly for a family trip with kids. Solvang is a very pedestrian-friendly destination. It has fantastic weather and is a safe, family-oriented place to visit. I will list some ideas of top things to do:

- Mission Santa Ines. I've been to several missions and although they are all nice, this ranks among my favorite. They have a nice museum set up with authentic garments and other relics dating back hundreds of years. The cemetery (highly recommended for Yaliu!) and garden has a lot of history to it, with plaques guiding your way. You will also learn a lot about the Chumash Indians. You can actually walk the grounds next to the mission, of where their homes were built.

- Food in the village: Aebleskivers, ice cream, and no shortage of great restaurants... impossible to see all of them in one day.

- The Honen / Solvang Trolley: Clydesdales (Belgian draft horses) pull a trolley. This gives you a narrated tour.

- "The Clog": This thing has been around forever, I think since the first time I went when I was a toddler. Look for the big, red, wooden clog. You can take pics of your kids, come back throughout their childhood, get an updated pic, and watch them grow next to the clog. It will still be there when they're adults.

- Day Spas: Mommy, there are several places to treat yourself while your husband & baby keep busy. I like Chiffon.http://chiffonboutique.com/

- Cool nearby places: Got to visit Ostrich Land! See & feed ostriches and emus. We all loved this! Also see the Quicksilver Miniature Horse Ranch.

- Jewelry & Gifts: Too many places to name. It's a good place to buy Native American jewelry (Navajo, etc.) and fine jewelry.

- I could go on. These are just SOME of the things to do.

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

Ikea has chocolate. Solvang sells fudge. Ikea is Swedish. Solvang is Danish.
Heh. This is just like when whites can't tell Asian stuff apart.  :)

SoCal said:
aquabliss said:

Yes, I've been several times. I recommend it highly for a family trip with kids. Solvang is a very pedestrian-friendly destination. It has fantastic weather and is a safe, family-oriented place to visit. I will list some ideas of top things to do:

- Mission Santa Ines. I've been to several missions and although they are all nice, this ranks among my favorite. They have a nice museum set up with authentic garments and other relics dating back hundreds of years. The cemetery (highly recommended for Yaliu!) and garden has a lot of history to it, with plaques guiding your way. You will also learn a lot about the Chumash Indians. You can actually walk the grounds next to the mission, of where their homes were built.

- Food in the village: Aebleskivers, ice cream, and no shortage of great restaurants... impossible to see all of them in one day.

- The Honen / Solvang Trolley: Clydesdales (Belgian draft horses) pull a trolley. This gives you a narrated tour.

- "The Clog": This thing has been around forever, I think since the first time I went when I was a toddler. Look for the big, red, wooden clog. You can take pics of your kids, come back throughout their childhood, get an updated pic, and watch them grow next to the clog. It will still be there when they're adults.

- Day Spas: Mommy, there are several places to treat yourself while your husband & baby keep busy. I like Chiffon.http://chiffonboutique.com/

- Cool nearby places: Got to visit Ostrich Land! See & feed ostriches and emus. We all loved this! Also see the Quicksilver Miniature Horse Ranch.

- Jewelry & Gifts: Too many places to name. It's a good place to buy Native American jewelry (Navajo, etc.) and fine jewelry.

- I could go on. These are just SOME of the things to do.

You forgot the best part of Solvang....  Butter cookies!

Ironically, Asians love them.

Taking a cruise is a good option too.  No need to pack and unpack, you get to see several destinations, customize itineraries (sightseeing, meal times, etc) around the baby's nap time.  The short trips from Long Beach are pretty cheap especially considering food and entertainment are already included. 

eyephone said:
SoCal said:

Yeah, it's a blessing. We've always ended up letting some of it roll over to the next year or cash-out whatever accrued time exceeds the roll-over limit.

Back