Property Tax of New Homes

Irvine Dream

Property Tax Bills for 2015-2016 are out now.  Can new home owners (PP, OH) check and tell us the following:
1) MR actually went up by 2%
2) Is the mello roos actually as high as the Builder said it would be
3) Is the mello roos lower than what the builder said it would be.
4) Was the mello roos actually calculated based on  optional square footage (for example the additional square footage when California room was changed to  a conservatory or tandem garage converted to a prep kitchen etc).
  thanks.

Yup MR went up 2%, just like clockwork.  But to quote the great qwerty, if you're sweating the 2% on a 4 digit figure, you probably shouldn't be owning a new Irvine home :)

My PP Mello Roos went up exactly 1.9999867110517477%

I feel fortunate that I didn't endure a full 2% increase.

bones said:
Yup MR went up 2%, just like clockwork.  But to quote the great qwerty, if you're sweating the 2% on a 4 digit figure, you probably shouldn't be owning a new Irvine home :)

You are right,  but eventhough I had sworn off new home it is still very difficult to give up, I am not really that worried of the 2% hike, I was just hoping that the builders were quoting much higher mello roos than what actually is, even a $2,000 less will work magic on the debt ratio and since house prices never goes down in Irvine  :-X (other than Capella it seems) why not live the dream till we actually can't :'(

Irvine Dream said:
bones said:

You are right,  but eventhough I had sworn off new home it is still very difficult to give up, I am not really that worried of the 2% hike, I was just hoping that the builders were quoting much higher mello roos than what actually is, even a $2,000 less will work magic on the debt ratio and since house prices never goes down in Irvine  :-X (other than Capella it seems) why not live the dream till we actually can't :'(

Living in a new home isn't all that. Living in irvine isn't all that. Maybe it's time to give up the "dream".

I know for BP, the mello was determined by final sq ft, so any options like conservatory/stinky kitchen will push you to a higher tier if your base sq ft is near the tier limit. 

My total property tax went up by 2%, guess I'm not moving :)

ps9 said:
I know for BP, the mello was determined by final sq ft, so any options like conservatory/stinky kitchen will push you to a higher tier if your base sq ft is near the tier limit. 

My total property tax went up by 2%, guess I'm not moving :)

Smart move.

My property taxes went up 1.3% this year (including mello-roos that stayed the same - overall mello-roos has gone down since I bought)

The 2% mello increase is like $15 a month extra.

I know every little bit adds up but I'm probably not going to be forced to sell my home as a result.

aquabliss said:

I know every little bit adds up but I'm probably not going to be forced to sell my home as a result.

Now that is a great way to rationalize the 2%. I guess I will skip a two double-double combo meal at In-And-Out. 15 bucks is not even missed.

Compressed-Village said:
aquabliss said:

Now that is a great way to rationalize the 2%. I guess I will skip a two double-double combo meal at In-And-Out. 15 bucks is not even missed.

Two double-double this year.  Four double-double next year.  Six double-double next next year.  :)

how do you find out the remaining balance of your mello roos?

Back