Property Tax Due Date Questions

scubasteve

I just received my first property tax bill (ever) and had some questions about the due date. I noticed there are two dates for the first installment:

Due: Nov 1
Delinquent Dec 10 (Late payment w/ penalties if paid after Dec 10)

Does this mean I can technically pay my property tax on Dec 9th with no penalties to my bill or credit?  I'm just trying to get an additional month of interest from my savings account if I don't really need to pay Nov 1.

i have a Q, i got a bill with the property assessment value as of Jan 1,2010. Now since i bought a property in Jul 2010 and sale price is lower than the property assessment value then what do i need to do to get it corrected and have them tax me based on the sale price. i called the assessor office and they told me that u will get the refund around Jan. but still u have to pay the whole amount.

octrends said:
i have a Q, i got a bill with the property assessment value as of Jan 1,2010. Now since i bought a property in Jul 2010 and sale price is lower than the property assessment value then what do i need to do to get it corrected and have them tax me based on the sale price. i called the assessor office and they told me that u will get the refund around Jan. but still u have to pay the whole amount.
That is correct, the property tax that you are gonna being paying on now is what the assessment was back in March-June of this year.  Your assessment will be your purchase price and the County will send you a refund check next June for the difference between what you paid and what you should have paid.

USCTrojanCPA said:
octrends said:
That is correct, the property tax that you are gonna being paying on now is what the assessment was back in March-June of this year.  Your assessment will be your purchase price and the County will send you a refund check next June for the difference between what you paid and what you should have paid.

Second what USCTrojanCPA says.  The first year of property tax bills are confusing because of all the refunds or supplemental assessments you will receive.  After the first year, the tax bills will be very easy to deal with.

I bought a new home in WBE in May. I know that tax notices are usually sent out in October. Haven't received mine yet though. Is there anyone else who hasn't received the notice yet? I also checked on OC tax assessors website for my property address and the address was not even found in their data base. I'm think I should call them and find out whats happening.

Haven't  got my tax notices yet. Moved in in may 2010 to WBE.

Also haven't heard back about 10K tax credit either. Although i confirmed with the guy at FTB that they have
the fax that i sent in the first week after moving in.

irvinebuyer said:
I bought a new home in WBE in May. I know that tax notices are usually sent out in October. Haven't received mine yet though. Is there anyone else who hasn't received the notice yet? I also checked on OC tax assessors website for my property address and the address was not even found in their data base. I'm think I should call them and find out whats happening.

waitin4ever said:

Also haven't heard back about 10K tax credit either. Although i confirmed with the guy at FTB that they have

irvinebuyer said:

I called the FTB too about the 10K credit. They said they received the form, but it hasn't been processed it. Could take anywhere up to 6 months.

I
irvinebuyer said:
waitin4ever said:

irvinebuyer said:

I called the FTB too about the 10K credit. They said they received the form, but it hasn't been processed it. Could take anywhere up to 6 months.
I don't believe you'll get a check for the entire amount.  I believe it is based upon your State income tax liability for a 3 year period.

Yes you are right. But i believe we should get some certificate indiacting the credit so we can file
taxes correctly come April 15th.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I
irvinebuyer said:
waitin4ever said:

irvinebuyer said:

I don't believe you'll get a check for the entire amount.  I believe it is based upon your State income tax liability for a 3 year period.

Irvine2Irvine said:
Also, if your California tax liability is less than $3333, then you lose out on the rest of the credit.
Yup, it's a use-it or lose-it kind of credit.  I believe the credit is based upon your taxable income which means that you kinda get screwed if you have a large mortgage and property tax deduction. 

I am waiting for both California tax credit paperwork and the property tax bill.

Go to the following OC treasury website and enter your parcel #, it will show the property tax bill(s).
http://www.ttc.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp

I found my parcel # on my California tax credit paperwork builder portion.  It may be in the escrow paperwork or you can ask the builder.

My record only shows the property tax before completion of the house, so far.  They assessed only $13,900 for the land!!!!

I can pay the property tax if it shows up before Dec 10th.

Called the FTB site last week to ask about the tax credit confirmation. They told me it was approved.
Yesterday I also recieved the letter from them.

For property tax the county is behind on the paper work. They haven't broken down the taxes
for per unit basis. IT is still listed as a total amount for apprently the 6 homes that are in the same
land parcel.

But we have been told by the builder that we will recieve by DEC 1st the correct statement and
must be prepared to pay by the 10th of December.

Irvine2Irvine said:
I am waiting for both California tax credit paperwork and the property tax bill.

Go to the following OC treasury website and enter your parcel #, it will show the property tax bill(s).

I found my parcel # on my California tax credit paperwork builder portion.  It may be in the escrow paperwork or you can ask the builder.

My record only shows the property tax before completion of the house, so far.  They assessed only $13,900 for the land!!!!

waitin4ever said:
Called the FTB site last week to ask about the tax credit confirmation. They told me it was approved.
Yesterday I also recieved the letter from them.

For property tax the county is behind on the paper work. They haven't broken down the taxes
for per unit basis. IT is still listed as a total amount for apprently the 6 homes that are in the same
land parcel.

But we have been told by the builder that we will recieve by DEC 1st the correct statement and
must be prepared to pay by the 10th of December.

Irvine2Irvine said:

It'll be just for the land value most likely.  If not you'll be paying your 2011-2012 property tax bill with a big supplemental bill.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

It'll be just for the land value most likely.  If not you'll be paying your 2011-2012 property tax bill with a big supplemental bill.

It was the tax bill for the builder.

bones said:
I haven't gotten a tax bill yet either (moved in in May).  I also tried looking up our property address on the database and it was not found.  I entered an APN I found on some of my closing papers and it looks like that # is for the whole tract (6 homes) and not for my individual house.  The first tax installment is due Dec 10th.  How do I go about making sure I get a tax bill and it is paid on time?  My taxes are trapped by my lender via an escrow so I'm not even sure if I get the bill??  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

I would not be too worried about it. The government will get it's cheese soon enough.

A couple of suggestions if you'd like to stay proactive about it, though:

1. Call your lender to see if your impound account (taxes and/or insurance) has paid for the tax disbursement.
2. Call the assessor's office (714.834.2727) with your property address info and confirm that the taxes have been paid, or what your current status is. I've spoken with them earlier this month to confirm that they were late in getting notices out that are usually sent out in October. They've seen serious cutbacks due to California's budgeting crisis, as well, so be prepared to be patient.

Good luck,
IrvineRealtor

I bought Sonoma and the builder gave me a property tax credit at the close of escrow in October.  So, all the property tax from 7/1/2010 became my responsibility.

I called the assessor's office 714-834-3411 and they saw the property tax bill for the house with due date of Dec 10th.  The tax is on the land and was made out to the builder, but it's my responsibility now according to the lady who answered the phone.  And it makes sense since the builder gave me a credit to cover it.  She is sending the updated tax bill with my name on it to my house. 

If you bought a house and the builder gave you a credit for property tax, get on the phone and call the tax assessor's office and have them mail out a tax bill which is due on Dec 10th!!!

I got an overnight package today from the Sonoma builder.  It was the property tax bill for Dec 10th and April 10th.  Apparently stack of property tax bills went to the Irvine Company by mistake and it just made it's way to my house.

Starlight East said:
I called the assessor's office 714-834-3411 asking about my tax bill. It is not ready yet and will probably be sent out early next year.  Too bad, that means I can not deduct the property tax from the 2010 income tax, I guess.

For what it is worth, you have an existing liability, from a tax perspective, not having an invoice doesnt mean you cant make a payment (now if the county wont accept your payment then you are SOL) - but i would make a payment (to the extent they let you) and go ahead and deduct it on my 2010 return. Just a thought.

I think the question here is how much will Starlight pay? Does he know what his taxes + assessment is?

If they haven't cut him a bill and have acknowledged that... why should he pay?

Back