Property manager

stepping_up_IHB

My husband came home last night and gave me the news that our tenant would be moving on the 23rd. I had feared that with her good credit and income, she would buy a house, which is why she is moving. The good news is that one of her friends loved the place so much that they will be moving in on the 6th, so we will only have a two week vacancy and don't have to shell out any advertising costs. The property management firm screened and qualified the new tenant.

However, I was a little upset that we were only being informed of this on May 13th when the property manager received her 30 day notice on April 23rd. I was expecting a full month's rent check in the mail today, but it will be 3 weeks and June's rent will be less than normal. No big deal, but would have liked to have known, especially if there wasn't already a new tenant lined up. Should we be upset and if so, how upset? He called my husband to see if we wanted to come up and stay in the place the weekend of the 30th, which hubby jumped at. A bit off topic, but Paso wine tasting that weekend for anyone?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1242336474]My husband came home last night and gave me the news that our tenant would be moving on the 23rd. I had feared that with her good credit and income, she would buy a house, which is why she is moving. The good news is that one of her friends loved the place so much that they will be moving in on the 6th, so we will only have a two week vacancy and don't have to shell out any advertising costs. The property management firm screened and qualified the new tenant.

However, I was a little upset that we were only being informed of this on May 13th when the property manager received her 30 day notice on April 23rd. I was expecting a full month's rent check in the mail today, but it will be 3 weeks and June's rent will be less than normal. No big deal, but would have liked to have known, especially if there wasn't already a new tenant lined up. Should we be upset and if so, how upset? He called my husband to see if we wanted to come up and stay in the place the weekend of the 30th, which hubby jumped at. A bit off topic, but Paso wine tasting that weekend for anyone?</blockquote>

I'd be a little upset, but you have to be relieved that you got a new, good tenant in so quickly.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1242336474]My husband came home last night and gave me the news that our tenant would be moving on the 23rd. I had feared that with her good credit and income, she would buy a house, which is why she is moving. The good news is that one of her friends loved the place so much that they will be moving in on the 6th, so we will only have a two week vacancy and don't have to shell out any advertising costs. The property management firm screened and qualified the new tenant.

However, I was a little upset that we were only being informed of this on May 13th when the property manager received her 30 day notice on April 23rd. I was expecting a full month's rent check in the mail today, but it will be 3 weeks and June's rent will be less than normal. No big deal, but would have liked to have known, especially if there wasn't already a new tenant lined up. Should we be upset and if so, how upset? He called my husband to see if we wanted to come up and stay in the place the weekend of the 30th, which hubby jumped at. A bit off topic, but Paso wine tasting that weekend for anyone?</blockquote>
Why not manage the property yourself? I mean, if it's local and you have a good tenant it's a no brainer to manage it yourself.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242345761][quote author="stepping_up" date=1242336474]My husband came home last night and gave me the news that our tenant would be moving on the 23rd. I had feared that with her good credit and income, she would buy a house, which is why she is moving. The good news is that one of her friends loved the place so much that they will be moving in on the 6th, so we will only have a two week vacancy and don't have to shell out any advertising costs. The property management firm screened and qualified the new tenant.

Why not manage the property yourself? I mean, if it's local and you have a good tenant it's a no brainer to manage it yourself.</blockquote>

IMO, Paso is not close/local enough to deal with the hassle.

It's only $124/mo and they take care of everything and have the plumber, electrician, handyman, etc... when needed. The first month we had the tenant in there the sewer line backed up and turned out to be cracked throughout. We were in Uruguay, so it was great to have them handle the whole thing. I think that even if we had a local property, we'd choose to go with a management firm for these same reasons.

Back