preschool costs

<blockquote>I was under the impression that standard school systems focus more on repetition, drills and memorization so I'm a bit confused by bk's post.</blockquote>

I'm confused too. Maria Montessori did not support rote memorization.

[quote author="CK" date=1244603576][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244602607]Before sending your kids to Montessori I would seriously think about it first. The school teaches children based on repetition and memorization on both songs and learning. The one by UCI and Northwood are excellent.

My daughter went there from toddler through Kindergarden. The teaching technique are very verbal, social and interactive. Many children follow the pattern of learning. When she transitioned from Montessori to public school it was a huge adjustment. She was not getting the attention, social interaction, repetition, pattern and drills. For the first 3 years in public school the teachers noted her having mood and personality issues.

Her learning environment was no longer fun and festive like the Montessori setting catered to showing off to parents who pay tuition. It took many years to de-program her that learning is not totally based on repetitive exercise and memorization. Critical and analytical thinking create leadership. She is at the top of her class today and a leader in student council.

Anyone know about the dirty laundry of the founding Montessori family and OC ?</blockquote>

I'm curious, BK. Based on some of your posts, I think your daughter attends Pioneer and from there will be heading off to Beckman? Has she ever expressed to your her views of Beckman? I mean, is she excited about the upcoming programs that school has in store for her? Does she feel like what they offer her will give her the best opportunity for success --- assuming she has started thinking that far into the future? In a nutshell, does she view her next educational step favorably --- or is she plotting ways to attend Troy or Uni or OC Arts HS?

I ask because I think students probably do the best when they are excited about their opportunities, much the way we as adults gravitate toward employers that we feel like are going to make the biggest investment in us, and give us the best future opportunities.</blockquote>

She is currently on level 8 in her piano skill. OC Arts may be a possibility. She would have no problem passing the rigorous talent exam. She can attend any high school of her choice at this point.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1244617133]

She is currently on level 8 in her piano skill. OC Arts may be a possibility. She would have no problem passing the rigorous talent exam. She can attend any high school of her choice at this point.</blockquote>

But what's her opinion on attending Beckman --- assuming that's her assigned school? That's what I'm trying to get a feel for. Do the high performing kids feel like Beckman will provide them with the right opportunities.

I'll be moving in Lake Forest next month and I'm looking for an affordable preschool in the area(Lake Forest, Irvine, Tustin). (I can only spend $500/month maximum)

If possible from 9am to 5:30pm, 3 or 5 days a week

Thank you

It's almost next to impossibble to find a full day preschool for $500 a month. We used to live in LA where preschools are a bit less expensive that here and the most affordable I came across was about $700/month. The school was filthy and poorly equipped though.

There might be schools here in Orange County that offer finantial aid which can be huge help. Many religious schools offer FA.

I would be willing to bet that you'll have to pay twice that. With that said, I wish you good luck (truly) in finding the best and least expensive option.

bractar, if you are willing to head a little south of Lake Forest, Mission Viejo Christian preschool is $460 for 3 full days and $715 for 5 full days (full days= 7:30AM to 6:00 PM). I have heard a lot of good things about the school from my friends. If you are interested, you should call and ask to be put on the waitlist. I am not sure how long the wait is right now, but last year the wait was 6 months to a year long depending on when you put your name on the waitlist.

http://www.mvcchome.org/187784.ihtml

Hope that helps.

Back